Antivirus

This forum is intended for computer technicians only. Post IT related topics here.
Forum rules
We have no special rules for UVK forums. Just try to be polite and clear in your posts.
Please don't post spam in this forum. Spammers will be banned by IP, e-mail and username.
We reserve the right to delete all posts and ban all users we consider not having respected these rules without warning.
FredJClaus

Antivirus

Post by FredJClaus »

Jim and I have been exploring this wonderful tool we call UVK. We've discovered how to use it as an automatic tool inside the task scheduler but I have a question about this.

For clients who have an antivirus (AVG) that thinks the Java update is harmful(AVG), is there a way to turn off the antivirus before running that update and turning it back on afterwards?
Charger440

Re: Antivirus

Post by Charger440 »

Fred C

The problem is, as good at catching viruses as AVG really is, it has a nasty habit of killing stuff you actually want. I have seen it do this for years and it has fueled my disgust with AVG.

It is a good idea to disable any antivirus tool before ruining cleaning tools but AVG in general is just horrible about this. So, in my opinion, if they have AVG, talk them out it.

There is at least one person that claims the free antiviruses should not be used for professional service. If you feel that way, pay a free one. They would love to have the support and they are still just as good as the paid only ones. :)
Jim

It is not "Can it be done?" but rather, "How can we do it?"
Brink

Post by Brink »

AVG also has a nasty habit of installing things you don't want. (i.e. AVG search safe) You have to be diligent to constantly deny the installation of that crap. Folks don't want the home page and search provider preferences changed. (Thats why we run AV/anti-malware softwares in the first place, to keep that kind of crap from happening. LOL)
FredJClaus

Post by FredJClaus »

I agree with you brink but a bit of clarification. Safe search does not change anything. What it does (at least now) is lets you know what links on the search results page are safe to click on. Just ads a little icon next to the link.
Brink

Post by Brink »

Ok. I stand corrected. However, this is what I'm talking about -

Big OK button (which jacks up your search provider, your home page, new page tab, and adds a toolbar.)
Tiny Decline link (which has to be redeclined again and again if you dont want the above to happen.)

The average user who is paranoid of virus infection because it costs him $50 or more every time it happens, sees "AVG wants to protect me" and clicks ok. When he should see AVG wants to hijack my browsing experience and click decline. (if he can even find decline)

An antivirus program should sit quietly in the background and guard against hijacking someones search provider and against changing someones home page and against adding toolbars. It should not be offering to do such things. It's sad really. AVG used to be such a great program. It's still useful in detecting viruses, but you just have to be too vigilant in guarding against them hijacking your traffic.

That's my 2 cents. I'm sorry that it does not answer your original question.
Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

Could not agree more with you, Brink. You said it all. AntiVirus companies should pay their developers and researches to try to give the user a better protection, and not to hijack their computers even more.
One thing we humans have in common is that we are all different. So, if you think you're weird because you're different from everyone else, then we are all weird.

Fred
Xander

Post by Xander »

Step 1: Uninstall AVG

Charger440

Post by Charger440 »

I use avast. It is consistently rated very high among av programs and for those that need to pay, there is a paid version that adds some cool features.

However, if you don't do a custom install, it installs a bunch of stuff you don't need. I still like, use and recommend it but I liked it better a year or two ago when it was just an av program.
Jim

It is not "Can it be done?" but rather, "How can we do it?"