Windows update script

This forum is intended for computer technicians only. Post IT related topics here.
Forum rules
We have no special rules for UVK forums. Just try to be polite and clear in your posts.
Please don't post spam in this forum. Spammers will be banned by IP, e-mail and username.
We reserve the right to delete all posts and ban all users we consider not having respected these rules without warning.
Charger440

Windows update script

Post by Charger440 »

Just in case anyone is interested. I was helping Fred C out and I found this script that I slightly modified which installs windows updates from the command line.

It works in Windows 7 and 10 for sure.

To use it just run the UVK script below and sit back and watch it work. At the end, if needed, it will prompt restart the computer.
updatewin.uvk
(5.07 KiB) Downloaded 243 times
Jim

It is not "Can it be done?" but rather, "How can we do it?"
Fred
Site Admin

Re: Windows update script

Post by Fred »

Thanks, Jim.

Your zip file is being detected as malware by Google chrome. I advise you make it a UVK script. I can do it for you, if you wish.
One thing we humans have in common is that we are all different. So, if you think you're weird because you're different from everyone else, then we are all weird.

Fred
Charger440

Post by Charger440 »

That would be fine Fred :)

Chrome would detect it's own mother as malware. It's only an uncompiled vb script.
Last edited by Charger440 on Sun Oct 11, 2015 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jim

Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

I know, Jim. Chrome probably doesn't like zip files with VBScripts inside, or maybe it's just the file name.
One thing we humans have in common is that we are all different. So, if you think you're weird because you're different from everyone else, then we are all weird.

Fred
Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

Hum, it makes no sense to skip updates that require user input and make the script itself require user input to accept EULAs of some updates. I'l make it either totally automated (skipping updates that require user input, or accept EULA), or update them all, even if user input is needed. Which one should I use?

Fred
Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

OK, I made it a UVK script with an AutoIt script inside. It sure could use a bit of tweaking, but time is not what I have the most right now. All credits go to you and the original author, of course.

Fred
FredJClaus

Post by FredJClaus »

Thanks guys.
Charger440

Post by Charger440 »

If you make it totally automated, take into account you prolly want to skip the windows 10 upgrade. That's better done manually.
Jim

Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

It's not totally automated. And I don't think the Windows 10 upgrade is in the form of a Windows update. I think only the notification is.

Fred
Charger440

Post by Charger440 »

When I tested it on the win 7 box it said.

Upgrade to windows 10 pro

Skipping windows 10 pro because it requires user input

That was the installer for Windows 10, which I an glad it did not install. I have hardware on that computer that is not windows 10 compatible.
Jim

Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

OK. It's not automated, anyway. In order to make it automated, you'd have to skip all updates that require user input, so that one would be skipped.

Fred
FredJClaus

Post by FredJClaus »

Is the script written to skip any updates requiring user input, Fred? Is that what you are saying?
Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

Nope currently it does not skip anything. If an update requires user input, obviously you are able to cancel it. That is what I meant.

Fred
wmmiller

Post by wmmiller »

Speaking of windows update. Windows update error 800f080d Windows 7 Enterprise 64 bit

I have a remote computer that will not install updates. I’ve found and tried many solution for this error but so far none have worked. Is there a self-destruct script someone might share? :twisted:
Play stupid games….win stupid prizes
Charger440

Post by Charger440 »

Bill

Have you tried this link?

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/947821
Jim

wmmiller

Post by wmmiller »

Yep, I tried the readiness tool and it didn’t work. I didn’t sit and watch it though so I guess it’s possible someone canceled it or it had an error that I’m unaware of. I didn’t try to download them individually. There are at least 10. Maybe I should run the readiness tool again and see what happens.
wmmiller

Post by wmmiller »

Turns out there were actually only one corrupt update. I downloaded it and installed it using the readiness tool and all is well again. I guess a self-destruct script may have been too destructive. :mrgreen:
Charger440

Post by Charger440 »

LOL glad you got it going Bill.
Jim