Possible feature request.....

Use this forum to discuss about anything you want, post announcements and informational topics.
Forum rules
We have no special rules for UVK forums. Just try to be polite and clear in your posts.
Please don't post spam in this forum. Spammers will be banned by IP, e-mail and username.
We reserve the right to delete all posts and ban all users we consider not having respected these rules without warning.
Charger440

Possible feature request.....

Post by Charger440 »

Hey guys, I would like to get some feed back on this idea before I officially present it as feature request. The reason I like to do it this way on somethings is I have crazy ideas and I want to see how crazy they are BEFORE I take up Fred's time. Well, Here's my idea. I really like 2 browse and I see potential in it. One of the main things I like is that I don't have to have "Permission" to browse a folder and then wait for ever while it finally decides to show it to me like Explorer does.

Now what I'm thinking is, it would be really cool if 2browse was like an MDI application. Meaning you would have multiple windows for different things open inside the 2browse shell. For example, have both a browser and a file browser open. Maybe even multiple file browsers with drag and drop support.

I'm also thinking the option to replace default file browser explorer (but not shell explorer(I know they are the same but they are referenced diferent)) would be pretty cool. However for this option to be a reality I would prefer the file browser had a folder listing on the left side and not just showing files and folders only in the same window.

Thoughts? Should I officially request it(Yes, I know you can see this Fred :) )?
Jim

It is not "Can it be done?" but rather, "How can we do it?"
reggaemanu

Re: Possible feature request.....

Post by reggaemanu »

You mean something like q-dir (for the multiple window panes) but with web browsing capabilities !?
Charger440

Post by Charger440 »

Possibly, I have not seen q-dir though.
Jim

reggaemanu

Post by reggaemanu »

Well, that's a powerful but light portable explorer app with multiple view support (up to 4 explorer in the same window) and drag and drop. Sounds exactly like what you are describing but without the web browsing part. It can replace default file browser explorer, with or without folder listing on left, etc ...

http://www.softwareok.com/?seite=Freeware/Q-Dir
Charger440

Post by Charger440 »

could be interesting.... I will look at it for sure!

Any one else have any comments?
Jim

FredJClaus

Post by FredJClaus »

I don't know a lot about programming but I like the idea. I'd say let Fred roll with it and see what he comes up with.
wmmiller

Post by wmmiller »

Jim,

That's just crazy! Where do you come up with this stuff. JK. :lol:
Play stupid games….win stupid prizes
Charger440

Post by Charger440 »

Actually, Bill, I think Xander had a craxier idea :) I'm not sure about his idea, he kinda lost me on it but If he was going where I think he was going It could be cool :)
Jim

wmmiller

Post by wmmiller »

Your the one that said you sometimes have crazy ideas. I'm just trying to work with you on that thought. I know I'm half crazy. you can call home and ask my wife. ;)
Play stupid games….win stupid prizes
Charger440

Post by Charger440 »

Oh, Bill, I knew what you meant :) I believe your crazy, no need to ask her :lol:
Jim

Xander

Post by Xander »

Charger440 wrote:Actually, Bill, I think Xander had a craxier idea :) I'm not sure about his idea, he kinda lost me on it but If he was going where I think he was going It could be cool :)
Huh? I hadn't said anything in this thread. If you mean the Autobackup thread, that's not an idea; it's a reality. :)
Brink

Post by Brink »

Total commander works great for a file explorer replacement. You can set the prefs for viewing hidden and system files and get a side by side view of the folders you are looking at. It also does FTP and is waaaay customizable through plugins. All in all it gives you excellent control over file manipulation locally and across networks.

2browse doesn't really do me any good as a browser or an explorer replacement. It's just IE loaded up with no plugins as far as I can tell. >Fred.. am I right about this?< If IE is broke for reasons other than plugins then 2Browse is broke too. It's also part of UVK and I tend to load the UVK from the web. If I have no web browser that works well enough to do that, then I'll use an optical disk. (CD/DVD I'm not pluggin my thumbdrive into someones infected junk even with write protect mods or write protect switch) In either case I can just hang in there with UVK doing repairs until I do have a browser that works. Then I can D/L other utils for doing things not included in UVK (not many).

The whole idea of 2browse is a great idea. I think it's too bad that it's not it's own thing built from something like mozilla source code for instance. https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/doc ... e_Archives
Last edited by Brink on Wed Sep 30, 2015 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Charger440

Post by Charger440 »

You might be giving Fred Ideas there. I know there are other things out there like I am talking about but I really like to support Fred. Fred is already working on a good idea and you bring up some good points. However, Optical disks are a thing of the past. Software Locks are not very useful unless you have a specific setup for that already in place. However, the physical write protect switch on the other hand is pretty solid unless you break that switch so that it's stuck on write mode. I use my Kanguru Drive for any possibly infected machine(Pretty much all of them) I run across.
Jim

Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

Brink wrote:Fred.. am I right about this?
Not entirely, Brink. When working as a web browser, 2Browse uses a IWebbrowser2 control. Even though it uses the same technology as the current version of IE, it does not depend on it. It works even if IE is removed as Window feature.

The same can be said when 2Browse works as file explorer. It uses the same technology as the Windows shell (explorer.exe) but it does not depend on it.

The main usefulness I find in 2Browse is when I want to view a VirusTotal report or a google file name search, and Chrome, Firefox and IE take forever to load, or are infected and redirect to other places. It's also useful when the Windows shell hangs and stops responding all the time.
One thing we humans have in common is that we are all different. So, if you think you're weird because you're different from everyone else, then we are all weird.

Fred
Charger440

Post by Charger440 »

Well, Fred, Since this has gone on so long with clear indicator on whether it's a good idea or not. Some like it some don't, What do you think about?
Jim

Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

Well, I kinda like the MDI idea, but honestly, not the result. I made this photo mounting to see how it would look like, and the MDI child windows are too small even to be used as file explorer. Needles to say they would even be too smaller for web browsing.
pic1.jpg
pic1.jpg (157.16 KiB) Viewed 5883 times
One thing we humans have in common is that we are all different. So, if you think you're weird because you're different from everyone else, then we are all weird.

Fred
Charger440

Post by Charger440 »

Interesting mock up you got there. I was thinking more along the lines of the lines having one window handle various things where the windows could be full window or docked on either side of the windows.....I don't know, That's why I was asking for feed back on the idea. Technically the same thing could be accomplished with multiple 2Browse windows. I was just thinking having them all contained would be nicer :)

Regardless, I still like the folders on the left side idea though.
Jim

Xander

Post by Xander »

I wouldn't have much use for this. I'm fine if Fred spends his time on UVK.
Charger440

Post by Charger440 »

OK seems like the majority of people Are not excited about my idea so that's cool, I was using 2, 2Browse windows side by side for my purposes yesterday anyway and that worked, It just wasn't as neat as I had envisioned this idea :)

Next..... :)
Jim

Brink

Post by Brink »

Fred I think your mockup is fine. The size of the panes are fine for file manipulation. Browsing is a different story though. Maybe a option in the settings dialog to switch from single to dual pane would work. Or have the thing detect if it were looking at a file folder vs website to auto-switch from single to dual pane windows. Anyway that my 2 cents.