Yodi

Use this forum to discuss about anything you want, post announcements and informational topics.
Forum rules
We have no special rules for UVK forums. Just try to be polite and clear in your posts.
Please don't post spam in this forum. Spammers will be banned by IP, e-mail and username.
We reserve the right to delete all posts and ban all users we consider not having respected these rules without warning.
FredJClaus

Yodi

Post by FredJClaus »

Anyone ever heard of an Asian tech support company called Yodi?

I'm working on a computer that was messed up by them. Nothing will update in regular mode. UVK won't fix anything. I boot in safe mode and so far I can run SFC but haven't tried anything else yet. Seems to work better in safe mode though.
Xander

Re: Yodi

Post by Xander »

iYogi.com

Bunch of hacks..stealing customers through SEO, letting people think they're calling HP Support and so on.

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/online/iyogi.html
FredJClaus

Post by FredJClaus »

I know. This is the second one I have in the shop because of this company. This time it's on a Toshiba laptop.
FredJClaus

Post by FredJClaus »

So far I found the issue is some corrupt files. SFC couldn't fix them. Running a DISM Image Cleanup right now.
Charger440

Post by Charger440 »

I agree with Xander. Iyogi is a horrible company. They never fix anything and they monitor your computer. If they were a US company they just might be in prison. But in they are Chinese or somewhere over there they get away with a LOT of shady practices.
Jim

It is not "Can it be done?" but rather, "How can we do it?"
FredJClaus

Post by FredJClaus »

Read one of the reviews on the consumer affairs link. I yogi tried to sell Microsoft Security Essentials for 240.00. What the heck? It comes free on every computer.
Charger440

Post by Charger440 »

Actually they still DO sell it for $250. Illegal much? :)
Jim

FredJClaus

Post by FredJClaus »

Just finished running DISM Cleanup Image to repair corrupt files SFC couldn't fix. Now windows update is working. I was also able to use UVK to update .net framework and Java so far.
Xander

Post by Xander »

FredJClaus wrote:Read one of the reviews on the consumer affairs link. I yogi tried to sell Microsoft Security Essentials for 240.00. What the heck? It comes free on every computer.
Well, not really. To split hairs, it's a separate download. You're thinking of Windows Defender.

But, yes, it's a sleezy move on their part.
FredJClaus

Post by FredJClaus »

Sorry I just read this. I was under the impression that Security Essentials and Defender were the same thing. SE just replaced Defender. Is that not correct?
stro

Post by stro »

FredJClaus wrote:Sorry I just read this. I was under the impression that Security Essentials and Defender were the same thing. SE just replaced Defender. Is that not correct?
It kind of goes like this:
MS Bought Giant AntiSpyware, renames it Microsoft AntiSpyware, then renames it Windows Defender. All three are antispyware products.

MS buys RAV antivirus which originally was called "Romanian AntiVirus, then renamed to "Reliable Anti Virus" This forms the basis for MSE and Microsoft's other AV products. Then in Windows 8, they kill Windows Defender the Antispyware, and rename MSE the antivirus to Windows Defender.
wmmiller

Post by wmmiller »

stro,

Can you say that ten times fast? :lol:
Play stupid games….win stupid prizes
Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

LOL, Bill.

This reminds me that Microsoft is constantly loosing their sense of creation, but since they have lots of money, that doesn't seem to be a problem. Nokia, Skype, Anti-virus software...
One thing we humans have in common is that we are all different. So, if you think you're weird because you're different from everyone else, then we are all weird.

Fred
steve2189

Post by steve2189 »

Fred wrote:LOL, Bill.

This reminds me that Microsoft is constantly loosing their sense of creation, but since they have lots of money, that doesn't seem to be a problem. Nokia, Skype, Anti-virus software...
It's evolution. Once you become a big fish you can focus less on creating new products/features and more on simply maintaining and protecting your monopoly position, and one method is to eat little fish.
Microsoft paid $2.5 billion for Minecraft. I wish I had written that game. ;)
Last edited by steve2189 on Tue Sep 29, 2015 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Charger440

Post by Charger440 »

You guys got to remember, Bill built his empire by buying stuff and some might even go so far as to say he stole several of his products. Microsoft has never been creative, they just throw money at things :)
Jim

FredJClaus

Post by FredJClaus »

This is true. Windows was said to be a rip off of the OS he was helping Steve Jobs build. He also stole the mouse idea from Jobs.
Charger440

Post by Charger440 »

Windows actually was a direct ripoff of Xerox. He got away with doing it because he was smart enough to find a loophole in the copyright laws. So:

He sold IBM licenses to "DOS" and then had to find the product he had just sold. Which he did.
Then He came up with a way to steal "Windows" from Xerox. All though, Microsoft did do all the coding on Windows, it was still a direct rip off.
Access was purchased for Pennies on the dollar from someone and I'm sure there are other juicy stories out there of M$ doing stuff like this.
Jim