Windows 10 rollback.

Use this forum to discuss about anything you want, post announcements and informational topics.
Forum rules
We have no special rules for UVK forums. Just try to be polite and clear in your posts.
Please don't post spam in this forum. Spammers will be banned by IP, e-mail and username.
We reserve the right to delete all posts and ban all users we consider not having respected these rules without warning.
FredJClaus

Windows 10 rollback.

Post by FredJClaus »

Just got a call from a client who upgraded to windows 10 on her own and now she's having tons of issues. She wants to know if there is a way to roll back the computer and go back to Windows 8.

Only thing I can think of is to wipe and restore the computer to factory settings. Is there an easier way?
Fred
Site Admin

Re: Windows 10 rollback.

Post by Fred »

FredJ, Users have 1 month to roll back. The option can be found at Settings / Update & Security / Recovery.

If you plan to reinstall windows, you may consider the Reset this PC option, in the same section. I think that is the best option.
One thing we humans have in common is that we are all different. So, if you think you're weird because you're different from everyone else, then we are all weird.

Fred
wmmiller

Post by wmmiller »

Don’t forget that if you reset or fresh install you will lose office, QuickBooks, things like that.
Play stupid games….win stupid prizes
FredJClaus

Post by FredJClaus »

So what would be the best way to roll back without loosing her files? Or should I just back up the system with UVK and wipe it and then put office back on.
Charger440

Post by Charger440 »

I would do what Fred suggested. However, She upgraded from 8 to 10 and is having issues?? Isn't 8 an issue? There is absolutely no way I would run 8 over 10 and from what I can tell any computer that actually came with 8/8.1 should run 10 just fine.
Jim

It is not "Can it be done?" but rather, "How can we do it?"
steve2189

Post by steve2189 »

Charger440 wrote:I would do what Fred suggested. However, She upgraded from 8 to 10 and is having issues?? Isn't 8 an issue? There is absolutely no way I would run 8 over 10 and from what I can tell any computer that actually came with 8/8.1 should run 10 just fine.
Try telling that to Sony.
http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardware/2 ... ndows-10/1
Charger440

Post by Charger440 »

steve2189 wrote:
Charger440 wrote:I would do what Fred suggested. However, She upgraded from 8 to 10 and is having issues?? Isn't 8 an issue? There is absolutely no way I would run 8 over 10 and from what I can tell any computer that actually came with 8/8.1 should run 10 just fine.
Try telling that to Sony.
http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardware/2 ... ndows-10/1

You could also have an Alienware R3 that is perfectly capable of running 10 BUT after customers paid $2,000+ for that system about 5 years ago Dell never put out a single update for it.

The reason I say that is there is a glitch in the BIOS on that machine that won't let 10 boot.
Jim

Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

Too bad for Vaio and Alienware users.

On a side note, the Reset this PC option has two sub options: Keep my files, and Remove everything. The former allows you to reinstall Windows without the need to make a backup, but it is still a good idea to make one anyway.

Obviously Office and other programs would need to be reinstalled, but wouldn't they need to if you N&P? That's why I say it is the best option. Roll back to Windows 8 when you can have a brand new Windows 10 for the same price is a big mistake, IMHO.
One thing we humans have in common is that we are all different. So, if you think you're weird because you're different from everyone else, then we are all weird.

Fred
wmmiller

Post by wmmiller »

As obvious as it would seem. I should have said. Make sure you have keys for the programs you will lose before you get crazy. :)
Play stupid games….win stupid prizes
Charger440

Post by Charger440 »

If you upgrade by keeping your files from 7/8 to 10 you will NOT need to reinstall any of your software.
Jim

FredJClaus

Post by FredJClaus »

Thanks guys. I'm on vacation in NYC right now but will do this when I get home. She knows I'm on vacation and will not touch the machine until I get back so as long as I do it before her 30 days are up all is good.