Gift card tracking software

Use this forum to discuss about anything you want, post announcements and informational topics.
Forum rules
We have no special rules for UVK forums. Just try to be polite and clear in your posts.
Please don't post spam in this forum. Spammers will be banned by IP, e-mail and username.
We reserve the right to delete all posts and ban all users we consider not having respected these rules without warning.
Charger440

Gift card tracking software

Post by Charger440 »

I am thinking about writing some gift card tracking software so I can offer gift cards for promotional stuff and for people to buy. I have the writer and reader but i want to maintain the amounts locally. Anyone know of software to do this already? Anyone interested in purchasing software like this?

Thougts?
Jim

It is not "Can it be done?" but rather, "How can we do it?"
Fred
Site Admin

Re: Gift card tracking software

Post by Fred »

Great to know you're into the programming thing, Jim. I'm not a gift card person, but I would buy your program just to help with the dev.
One thing we humans have in common is that we are all different. So, if you think you're weird because you're different from everyone else, then we are all weird.

Fred
FredJClaus

Post by FredJClaus »

What would you need to write and read gift cards? I use a service called Square to take credit card payments and they offer gift cards, but if I could do it myself that would be cool.

Can you make something for Apple as well? I know my cousin who runs a hair salon would love this as well, but she's a Mac person.
Charger440

Post by Charger440 »

I could make a mac version but it would have to web based.

You need a card writer and a reader. I could give links if you are interested. I looked at Square but I thought I could do my own system and be cheaper than them. They have a minimum order and I don't know, I just didn't like the Square gift card option.

Mostly so I can keep it in house. The card writer does have mac software for it to write the cards.
Jim

Charger440

Post by Charger440 »

Thanks Big Fred, that's very nice of you :) Although, I wouldn't want you to buy something you wouldn't use :D
Jim

Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

Charger440 wrote:Thanks Big Fred, that's very nice of you :) Although, I wouldn't want you to buy something you wouldn't use :D
Love is repaid with love.
One thing we humans have in common is that we are all different. So, if you think you're weird because you're different from everyone else, then we are all weird.

Fred
FredJClaus

Post by FredJClaus »

I'd be interested in learning more. Keep me posted on your progress, I'd buy it.
Charger440

Post by Charger440 »

I am thinking about doing this with MySQL. Also considering AutoIT but not sure about that one. ANyone have any thoughts on what they would like? I could also do it in PHP/JavaScript. The disadvantage to that is it requires Internet access but it would be platform independent.
Jim