Watermark HDD information list all hard drives

Do you know of a feature that UVK should have? Post it here!
Fred
Site Admin

Re: Watermark HDD information list all hard drives

Post by Fred »

What about those systems where Windows is installed in a flash card and the hard drive is only used for data storage? The system drive would be skipped. That's the reason I asked.

You insist on referring the hard drives by partition letters (and then say you don't mention partitions). Look, a drive letter is just the name of a partition in one system. It's not directly connected to the device or whatever. If you move the device to another system, the same letter will probably change.

How would you name a non formatted HD? Or one having only partitions with no letters assigned? Windows does not enumerate hard disks by partition name or drive letter, nor should any application do it because it is not the way it works. A hard disk is one thing, and a drive letter (partition) is a totally different thing.
One thing we humans have in common is that we are all different. So, if you think you're weird because you're different from everyone else, then we are all weird.

Fred
Charger440

Post by Charger440 »

The water mark is supposed to be informational. If we are not careful it will turn into another project and that really was not the goal of the watermark. It started out as an "indicator" and now it's looking more like an information center.

It lists basic system info including ram and CPU and along with a requested feature for indicating immunization and execute protect.

As far as how the drives are listed, it gives the info it should. If you have 2 hard drives one is 485 with 290 free and the other is 960 with 600 free. That is really all it was intended to do. Now, at a glance you know you have 50% free on your hard drives and that should be plenty of space.

As far as using advanced HD tools goes, are you really going to listen to uvk over what a tool that was designed for that purpose tells you? If not, then the order uvk lists them is not really important.

I have seen "C drive" SSD drives listed as removable drives before. My guess is uvk would leave them out if you filtered removable drives. On the other hand, I regularly see media slots show up as empty drives.

With the exception of the bug in the resize and the "failing" scaring people the way it's worded, the watermark does way more than it was ever intended to do and I think we should be happy with it and use coding time for more important things.
Jim

It is not "Can it be done?" but rather, "How can we do it?"
Xander

Post by Xander »

Fred wrote:What about those systems where Windows is installed in a flash card and the hard drive is only used for data storage? The system drive would be skipped. That's the reason I asked.
Personally, I have never yet come across a residential system with the configuration. If I did and the drive wasn't showing, I could probably figure out why without breaking a sweat.
Fred wrote:You insist on referring the hard drives by partition letters (and then say you don't mention partitions).
Insist? Where did I insist on anything? These are suggestions - I don't know why you keep thinking that I'm asking for you to kill your first-born. You seem to take most of my posts personally for some reason.
Fred wrote:How would you name a non formatted HD? Or one having only partitions with no letters assigned? Windows does not enumerate hard disks by partition name or drive letter, nor should any application do it because it is not the way it works. A hard disk is one thing, and a drive letter (partition) is a totally different thing.
[/quote]
If the drive numbers aren't going to match the ones that the operating system knows the drive by, it's not useful; its just an arbitrary number that doesn't serve a purpose. Drive letter, at least, communicates information which, as Jim points out, is the entire point of the watermark. If a drive didn't have a letter, it could be left blank. I don't think that's rocket science.

In its current state, the watermark is not very useful to me. It's that simple. Taking up a lot of space with the drive's model number doesn't do me much good. It doesn't even list what % is used anymore.

For that matter, each time I leave it running on my own system, it eventually drops my main drive altogether and double-lists my secondary.
Charger440

Post by Charger440 »

I said that I wasn't going to Comment on features for a while, at least new features. There was a couple issues with this feature, one was a confirmed bug the other I have not heard about. I thought I would take it easy because I think Fred has been stressed out lately with life in general I think. But since you say this:
In its current state, the watermark is not very useful to me. It's that simple. Taking up a lot of space with the drive's model number doesn't do me much good.
The watermark was from my idea and it was originally intended to IDENTIFY which computer you had up.
Then it was suggested possibly by me that the watermark give QUICK info about the computer. CPU, RAM, OS and HD. Mainly for the purpose of when someone wants me to buy one I look at it real quick and see if I am even interested. For more detailed information, UVK already has this info in the system info which is a click away. Actually all of the info is available in system info but for basic info the water works just fine for that.

I don't remember for sure whether it was Fred that wanted the immunization on the watermark or not but it works.

The water mark was intended to be a marker with quick info and it does that well. I personally see no reason to have all the drives listed in it. Any idea how many computers in the consumer market use a raid array as their primary HD? In 20 years I have yet to see one. I have seen them running an SD card but only a couple times and I don't see a SSD very often. That brings up another thought.... About 5 months ago I built a computer with an mSATA drive that would restart from desktop to fully functional desktop on Windows 7 HP in less than 15 seconds, about 6 seconds of that is spent in the BIOS. It is with out a doubt the fasts PC restart I have ever seen.

Xander, I suspect that if Fred has issue with you (I have no idea if he does or not) that it might be because you coming running in the door talking about the BS over there with Nick and his d7 POS then you keep saying well, d7 has this and d7 has that.

I've said it before and I will say it a thousand times if necessary. I personally think most of the people in this group and have either not had interest in d7 or have issues with d7 and it's author. Me personally, well I could go on and on about him and his d7/CP. Anyone that will use their face on all their products and website so that people have to look at him is so full of it that he needs to wipe his mouth with toilet paper every time he burps....

I by no means intend to be rude but I feel things are getting tense around here and it's not good. Someone needs to say something and for better or worse.... I will.
Jim

wmmiller

Post by wmmiller »

I didn’t dig around to find out for sure but wasn’t it started as a quick way to tell or a reminder of whether the system was immunized or not?

Bill
Play stupid games….win stupid prizes
Charger440

Post by Charger440 »

Bill it was originally just to mark the computer when you was working on a KVM. I asked for the program main window to denote immunization and Fred did that but he also added it to the watermark which I think was a nice touch. Then, I think it was me that asked for basic info and Fred added that..

Now it's just turned into it's own little information window. I'm glad Fred is doing the work for us but I really don't want it stressing him especially when it really does not need to be very difficult. It already matches what it was intended to do in the first place :)
Jim

wmmiller

Post by wmmiller »

Jim,

You are absolutely correct. Now that you say that I remember. I do really like that it list all drives and the fail yes/no. Other than that I guess I really don’t care so much about the other data. One question I have and maybe it’s a dumb one but if its left open on the desktop, how often is S.M.A.R.T. updated. I’m asking because I am thinking that it may be a nice way to monitor the hard drives on my server.

Bill
Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

Bill, HDD info, including SMART failure prediction and power on hour count is updated every 15 minutes.
One thing we humans have in common is that we are all different. So, if you think you're weird because you're different from everyone else, then we are all weird.

Fred
wmmiller

Post by wmmiller »

Thank you Fred. I think it will work nice to just leave it on the desktop. :)
Brink

Post by Brink »

What is the hardest thing to develop? A good application? A good website? Nope. A good watermark.

LOL
Charger440

Post by Charger440 »

LOL Brink... That is kinda funny :)
Jim

Brink

Post by Brink »

:) Fred may not thank so. I would like to personally thank him. Thanks Fred, I appreciate your work on this.
Charger440

Post by Charger440 »

I knew you were just playing, hopefully Fred will too :)

He does do a lot of hard work for us.
Jim

Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

Of course I knew you were kidding, Brink. It's actually kinda true. Don't know how something this simple became so confusing...

Fred
Charger440

Post by Charger440 »

Fred it's OK with me if you want to just make it basic. I think it's kinda getting out of hand anyway.
Jim