Non-modal Log window

Do you know of a feature that UVK should have? Post it here!
Charger440

Non-modal Log window

Post by Charger440 »

I Think it would be really nice to have the option to open the log window non-modal instead of modal like it is now.

It's good for when you come back to a computer and need to select fixes that you have not done already without having having to remember what all is in the log when you go back to system repair.

BTW I like the add the web page customization that you did. But, seriously if it concerns you I almost would have preferred you took it out. It makes me feel bad that you added something you don't like that is not terribly important in the big scheme of things anyway. You did a very nice job on the customization of it though!
Jim

It is not "Can it be done?" but rather, "How can we do it?"
Fred
Site Admin

Re: Non-modal Log window

Post by Fred »

Jim, what do you mean by "non modal"? Can you please detail? I have no idea of what you want.
One thing we humans have in common is that we are all different. So, if you think you're weird because you're different from everyone else, then we are all weird.

Fred
Charger440

Post by Charger440 »

Fred

You have Modal and Non-Modal dialogs
Modal dialogs are mainly used for when you want to make sure you have the users attention such as a format dialog. User clicks format and you don't want them to do anything else in you program until they confirm that action. Another good time for a modal dialog would be setting options for the program.

Non-modal is for information and not terribly important that they interact with it or when they need to to interact with that dialog and another at the same time. Example of this would be a help file. You wouldn't want to block access to your program because it shows the user how to do things and you want them to be able to follow along.

Having the log window be non-modal would allow you to look at it and select things in the main window.

Side note:
I was wondering why no one had responded yet and realized that it would really help if I actually posted this...
Last edited by Charger440 on Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jim

Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

Jim, the new betas allow several instances of UVK. Why don't you open the application log in one instance and the system repair section in another one? What better way to work in both at the same time?
One thing we humans have in common is that we are all different. So, if you think you're weird because you're different from everyone else, then we are all weird.

Fred
Charger440

Post by Charger440 »

Fred,

Well, I guess I could do that :)

Come to think of it, are any of UVKs windows/dialogs non-modal?
Jim

Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

UVK is coded in AutoIt, and AutoIt does not support multi-threading. So it can't do several things at the same time. At least it's not easy to.

That's why I added support for multiple instances. You can't create several threads, but you can create several processes.

Fred
Charger440

Post by Charger440 »

Yep AutoIT is interesting it limited and powerfull at the same time.... I also didn't realize that AutoIT was that old.

I've seen posts on AutoIT that are 10 years old :)
Jim