Remote Uninstall

Do you know of a feature that UVK should have? Post it here!
wrc559

Remote Uninstall

Post by wrc559 »

Hey,

I was wondering what the possibility of performing a remote uninstall of UVK.

If i left a password protected version of UVK on the clients PC, but was disconnected prematurely,
Is there a way to remove the program remotely?

Thanks!
Charger440

Re: Remote Uninstall

Post by Charger440 »

As far as I know you have to have a connection to the box to uninstall UVK. Assuming I am right maybe that is an option that could be discussed at some point?
Jim

It is not "Can it be done?" but rather, "How can we do it?"
Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

wrc559, As Jim said, You need to connect to the box to uninstall UVK. But you can create a sceduled task that removes UVK in the next reboot. Here's a script:

Code: Select all

<UVKCommandsScript>
 <RunWait> -h
%SystemDir%\schtasks.exe /create /tn "Uninstall UVK on startup" /tr "'%UVKDir%\UVK_en.exe' -Uninst -Auto" /ru System /sc ONSTART
%SystemDir%\schtasks.exe /create /tn "Uninstall UVK on startup" /tr "'%UVKDir%\UVK_en.exe' -Uninst -Auto" /ru System /sc ONSTART /rl HIGHEST /delay 0005:00 /f
Uninst_UVK_AtLogon.uvk
Script to uninstall UVK
(326 Bytes) Downloaded 209 times
If you prefer custom apps, create one as follows:
App name: Uninstall UVK on reboot
Command 1:

%SystemDir%\schtasks.exe /create /tn "Uninstall UVK on startup" /tr "'%UVKDir%\UVK_en.exe' -Uninst -Auto" /ru System /sc ONSTART
Command 2:

%SystemDir%\schtasks.exe /create /tn "Uninstall UVK on startup" /tr "'%UVKDir%\UVK_en.exe' -Uninst -Auto" /ru System /sc ONSTART /rl HIGHEST /delay 0005:00 /f
If you no longer work on XP, you can use only the second command.
One thing we humans have in common is that we are all different. So, if you think you're weird because you're different from everyone else, then we are all weird.

Fred
Xander

Post by Xander »

Fred, since I wouldn't be able to incorporate that UVK into my default UVK (because I can't schedule it to run at the very end, after a final reboot has already happened), could this be possibly added into the defaults?

This way, we could run out cleanup/repairs/etc, have it reboot at the end but still open UVK for final double-checking but, at that point, schedule itself to be removed on the -next- boot after that?
Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

Xander wrote: This way, we could run out cleanup/repairs/etc, have it reboot at the end but still open UVK for final double-checking but, at that point, schedule itself to be removed on the -next- boot after that?
Xander, I don't get it. How's that different from running the above script after the final reboot and all the double-checks?
One thing we humans have in common is that we are all different. So, if you think you're weird because you're different from everyone else, then we are all weird.

Fred
Charger440

Post by Charger440 »

Fred,

In cases where you can not get back to the remote computer for what ever reason to remove the software I think making it network aware would be the best solution for that. In other words having it monitor carifred.com for instructions.

However, I think that would for sure (atleast for a while) confirm your fear of UVK being considered adware and you don't want that. I don't blame you, I would not want that either if it were my software.

Bill gave me the script you made which I think is similar of not the same as the one you posted. That script though seems like you would need to know ahead of time that you will lose connection. This whole topic just seems like it could be way open for debate.
Jim

wmmiller

Post by wmmiller »

I use it and assume I will lose connection & just transfer it back over if I need to, that way if you disconnected and can get back on it will uninstall itself. I would rather do that instead of worry about not being able to get back on. It works super. It takes so little time to transfer it back, but you must give it five minutes to uninstall before running a new instance or it will be deleted.
Play stupid games….win stupid prizes
Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

Bill, that's an important point, which makes me wonder: What about the Continue repair after reboot feature? If the computer reboots, the repair operation continues, right? What if it takes longer than five minutes?

Fred
wmmiller

Post by wmmiller »

Hummm. If it takes longer than five minutes I would guess it just uninstalls and stops what it is doing. I have never had that be a problem yet that I know of. That’s a great question.
Charger440

Post by Charger440 »

Bill says he has used it quite a few times and it works out but I was already thinking about it removing it's self when I still need it.

The script is not perfect but it works.
Jim

Xander

Post by Xander »

Fred wrote:
Xander wrote: This way, we could run out cleanup/repairs/etc, have it reboot at the end but still open UVK for final double-checking but, at that point, schedule itself to be removed on the -next- boot after that?
Xander, I don't get it. How's that different from running the above script after the final reboot and all the double-checks?
Well, if you've got "reboot computer in Safe Mode w/networking" favourited to run at the start and then wanted to run "Reboot Computer" at the end but still run UVK (for reports or whatever). Being able to add one final "Uninstall UVK at next reboot" at the very end of the list would cover our butts if we forget to uninstall it.

Being able to reboot in to Safe Mode for disinfections and then back to regular Windows for maintenance/updates/installs (since, by default, Windows Installer won't run in safe mode), having the uninstall option would seem to fill Bill's need.

FWIW, this isn't an option I would see myself using personally but I'm just thinking through the process of how I could see it being most useful to the masses.
Charger440

Post by Charger440 »

If you are going to assume that you may lose connection and you implement that shouldn't there be a way to stop the timer once it starts....

I guess I am just confused.... That don't take much :)
Jim

wmmiller

Post by wmmiller »

I don’t know how easy it is to change the timer. It’s a scheduled task. I would guess one could quickly delete the task. It’s just not an issue that causes me trouble. If I assume I may get disconnected then when it happens I don’t need to worry about. It solves itself. Although, most the people I deal with have my support gateway installed on their computer so I can just hop back on if I need to do something.
wmmiller

Post by wmmiller »

I guess I’ve never put this much thought into it because what I’m doing works. However, I’m open to better ideas. :)
Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

The point is that it can cause damage if the task uninstalls UVK while it is doing something important. I'll have to think this more thoroughly.

Fred
Charger440

Post by Charger440 »

I'm just thinking about if you assume you will get disconnected and you set the task then reboot which enables the timer... 5 minutes later it will remove UVK in the middle of cleaning your temp files right? If you know it didn't complete that task you can go back and do it again but if it's cleaning the registry and gets interrupted that potentially could be bad.... I'm sure Fred will come up with a suitable solution to those issues :)

Post 500 :)
Jim

wmmiller

Post by wmmiller »

Those are great point’s guys. What UVK tasks after reboot come to mind off the top of your heads that may take more than five minutes? I’m just asking because it hasn’t been an issue yet but would be nice to know what you your thinking should maybe be avoided.
Charger440

Post by Charger440 »

Bill anything disk intensive could take a while. Especially on a slower machine. I think, personally, that Fred is just trying to make sure the "what ifs" are covered just in case.
Jim

wmmiller

Post by wmmiller »

Maybe instead of uninstall after reboot it should be hide after reboot and uninstall after 30 minutes. I pulled 30 minutes out of my rear; it could be any number I would guess.

You guys are freaking me out now. It’s always just worked but now I’m a little worried.

EDIT: No, that's no good.
Charger440

Post by Charger440 »

LOL Bill I can't really think of any place where it would be really critical and take 5 minutes but like I said, I think Fred is concerned with making sure.... It's a good thing :)
Jim