desktop watermark

Do you know of a feature that UVK should have? Post it here!
Charger440

desktop watermark

Post by Charger440 »

Fred

What do you think about adding the ability to watermark the desktop? A lot of times I have four computers on a KVM and it sometimes gets confusing switching back and forth. I thought it might it might be good if there is an option to watermark the desktop for quick recognition.

Jim
Jim

It is not "Can it be done?" but rather, "How can we do it?"
wmmiller

Re: desktop watermark

Post by wmmiller »

That’s an interesting idea. I use a four machine KVM as well but that has never crossed my mind. Three of the four are arranged in a very similar way so I do find myself taking a good look at the desktop items to make sure on the correct one at times.

Bill
Play stupid games….win stupid prizes
Charger440

Post by Charger440 »

You have four of your own computers? I used to run two of my own and up to for additional note I just run one of my own in a triple boot setup.

Jim
Jim

wmmiller

Post by wmmiller »

Hi Jim,

Yep, they are all mine. Ones my server, ones for gaming that I don’t use much because I thought it would be fun , but not so much , one I use for most stuff when I’m in the room and the other one is there just because I have it. I have another bench in the corner that has a four machine KVM that has one machine on it and the other three slots are for machines being repaired. I hardly use the second bench much because I don’t really do much computer repair and when I do I usually stick it on a separate network and do stuff remotely from my laptop by my recliner from our old house since we haven’t finished moving to the house on the lake. I have way more crap then I need for how much I do. It’s an addiction. I have a bad tool addiction as well. I have a 40x48 shop with a 10,000lb automotive lift that has tons of tools in it but mostly only use it on my own cars and stuff anymore and when I do fix a car for someone I normally spend the money on more tools. Given my health problems I don’t do as much of anything as I use to. Most my larger shop equipment and tools I bought when I was doing refrigeration and erecting steel. I used it make good money. Not so much anymore. I just don’t have it in me anymore. The bottom line is, I have a ton of stuff and a place to keep it but little energy to use much of it anymore. I do get joy out of the shop though when the girls boyfriends come up and work on stuff there. I love to help them fix their stuff. They do most the work but I know plenty about repairing things. My 81 year old dad and I have fun kicking around out in the shop too. Between the two of us we get things done but we use the slow and steady method. I’ve done a lot of different things thru out my life and have acquired a bunch of stuff. Before I got sick I would work anywhere from 8 to 15 a day to feed the family and my tool addiction. I’m really pretty laid back now. I have to be. Wow, this went from a simple reply to a frickin letter. Full stop! :roll:

Bill
Charger440

Post by Charger440 »

First thing I thought when I seen your response was "wow, a novel!" :) sounds like you have a cool shop area. I used to run a Linux server but found for my needs, a NAS fit my needs better. So now I have a 4 TB NAS. My main computer boots Windows 7, Linux mint 14 and Windows 10.
Jim

Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

Hi Guys. I know this will sound silly, but what do you mean by watermark the desktop?

If you're talking about the procedure described in this article, hacking the system file is not an option.

Enabling the original desktop watermark is so easy. I could place that feature in the "Toggle enable/disable" drop down box, in the Tools section.
One thing we humans have in common is that we are all different. So, if you think you're weird because you're different from everyone else, then we are all weird.

Fred
Charger440

Post by Charger440 »

Fred

That article is exactly what I mean. There are several programs that do it already but i am not sure if they use that method or another. Its not something I intend to leave in place, it would reset when the computer was done. If you are thinking legality, if the msdn talks about how to do it then it is perfectly legal. Never searched for it so don't know.

Jim
Jim

Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

Humm... Even if it's legal, it's not ethical. If a tech leaves that option enabled in a computer, and the end user no longer wants his services, he would never figure out how to remove it or restore the text. Not to mention that MUI files are language specific. I would have to create a backup of the original text, so it could be restored later. But what if the backup is deleted?

I would rather doing it by other means, such as copying the desktop wallpaper image to a temporary file in the UVK's Program data folder, add the watermark to the image, and set it as the desktop wallpaper. Any user knows how to change the desktop background picture.

Anyway, the problem now is room. Where would I place that feature?
One thing we humans have in common is that we are all different. So, if you think you're weird because you're different from everyone else, then we are all weird.

Fred
wmmiller

Post by wmmiller »

I didn’t really have any idea how one would go about this or for sure what it might look like. It just sounded like in interesting idea. As much as I do now days I likely wouldn’t use it much. It sounds fun though. ;) Jim has come up with some good ideas.

Bill

EDIT: “If a tech leaves that option enabled in a computer, and the end user no longer wants his services, he would never figure out how to remove it or restore the text.”

Thinking about this a little more it reminded me that d7 had/has a way to rebrand windows or something like that. I never even looked into how it worked because of the above statement. It seems like one fast way to piss off and loose a customer forever and have them badmouth you would be to change their computer in a way that they can’t easily change.
Charger440

Post by Charger440 »

Fred

Water marking the desktop image would work just fine with me. Another option would be a small auto run window that was transparent except text. You could say that one could have moral issues as well. It does not even have to be "obvious" as long as it could be used for quick recognition.

Bill...... ugh!!!!! That word. :)

Jim
Jim

Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

Jim, I like your "Text only window" idea. That's really putting the brain into good use. This way the watermark will only last for the life of the UVK's process.

It has the pro of being visible over the desktop icons, but it also has the con of not letting access the icons below. Maybe allowing it to be moved, and adding a "Close X" transparent button would be nice.

I've noted this down to be added in the future (as soon as I can).

Fred
Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

Bill,

Yes, that's why I always try to avoid hacks. The common user never know how to undo a hack.

Fred
Charger440

Post by Charger440 »

Fred

I think once it is set, it should be part of the cleanup process when you remove UVK from the client machine maybe.

I'm including a modified screen shot of my screen to give you an idea what I was thinking and maybe Bill can chime in here too on what he thinks.
UVK Idea.png
UVK Idea.png (165.71 KiB) Viewed 7234 times
Jim

Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

Oh, if it's supposed to remain after UVK is closed, then it can not be a window.

Fred
Charger440

Post by Charger440 »

Fred

See what I meant about it not being really noticeable? Just a way to determine who is who when you got "50 things" going on. As far as how to do it.... Look at my signature :) When it comes to actual coding your a lot smarter than I so I know you got some good ideas :D
Jim

Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

Well, thanks for the compliment. Maybe I know a bit more about programming than you do, but that doesn't make me smarter than you. I'm sure there are lots of things you know better than I do.

Yeah, there are many ways we could do it. For instance, I could make UVK spawn another process, maybe rebootexec.exe to create the window. In this case, it would last until the computer shuts down. Would that serve your needs?

Fred
Charger440

Post by Charger440 »

Fred

Your a smart cookie, I admire your knowledge and I have learned a few things from you.

As long as it stays on the screen till I no longer need it I am fine with how ever you decide to implement it. I assume that since this thread has gone on this long that you are going to do it. :D

Jim
Jim

Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

Yes, I will do it, but I don't know when, yet.

I'm sort of in trouble right now. I need to do a few things urgently. If I happen to forget about adding this, would you please remind me in a week or two?

Fred
Charger440

Post by Charger440 »

Fred

Sounds good boss. I will Keep an eye out. It is my understanding that you have several cool things planned for UVK as well so I look forward to seeing that as well.

Jim
Last edited by Charger440 on Fri Apr 24, 2015 3:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jim

wmmiller

Post by wmmiller »

Hi guys,

Sorry for that word Jim. :lol:

I think it looks like an excellent idea. :D

Bill

Fred, take care of what you need to. That’s important.