Help Button

You need help to start using UVK? You have a doubt on a UVK feature? Post here!
Forum rules
We have no special rules for UVK forums. Just try to be polite and clear in your posts.
Please don't post spam in this forum. Spammers will be banned by IP, e-mail and username.
We reserve the right to delete all posts and ban all users we consider not having respected these rules without warning.
steve2189

Help Button

Post by steve2189 »

With unbranded UVK the Help button opens a browser window to
http://www.carifred.com/uvk/help/welcome_screen.php
which is very useful.

But with branded UVK the Help button opens a browser window to your company's website. I expected the Help button to work the same as for the unbranded version and was surprised when the help functionality was different. I do not find very "helpful"! If I want to go to my company's website I can just type in the address I don't need a help button for it, bit I do occasionally need help using UVK. I realize than linking to the UVK website would break the branding effect, so that may be why it is different.

It would also be nice if the help button was always in the same place, and the same size - for consistency and ease of use.
On the main screen it is a small button, in the top left.
On Smart Uninstaller it is a small button, in the top right.
In Quick User Manager it is underlined text "Online Help (F1)", at the top, but not the right hand corner.

Is it possible to add a menu bar (like geek uninstaller or autoruns, for example) with a "Help" item? That seems to be the standard way that many Windows applications provide help.
Fred
Site Admin

Re: Help Button

Post by Fred »

Hi Steve.

The help buttons used to kink to the help pages, just like you are requesting.

I changed that behavior after a few requests to do so. More specifically in this topic:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=702

I would gladly put the button actions as before, but I'm afraid that would not please those users.

I will see if I can find a solution that pleases everyone.
One thing we humans have in common is that we are all different. So, if you think you're weird because you're different from everyone else, then we are all weird.

Fred
Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

As for the help buttons placement, well, I have to adapt their size and position according to the available space in the GUI. They used to be all the same size, but after adding features I had to resize or move them.

For instance, in the Process manager, I had to make the help button smaller so I could insert the Window catcher. Now what would you prefer? having both the help button and the Window catcher available, or just the help button, with the same size as the other buttons? I guess the answer is obvious.

I don't think a menu bar would go well with UVK's interface. A menu bar permanently uses precious space in the GUI, and you need more clicks to access one feature. I like having the main features accessible with one click.
One thing we humans have in common is that we are all different. So, if you think you're weird because you're different from everyone else, then we are all weird.

Fred
steve2189

Post by steve2189 »

Fred wrote:Hi Steve.

The help buttons used to kink to the help pages, just like you are requesting.

I changed that behavior after a few requests to do so. More specifically in this topic:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=702

I would gladly put the button actions as before, but I'm afraid that would not please those users.

I will see if I can find a solution that pleases everyone.
I can see the problem that was raised.
1. You don't want customers to use the help button and realize they can bypass your repair services.
but also, at the same time
2. You still need to be able to access the UVK help.

The original situation (always linking to help) fails #1.
The change you made (link to company website) fails #2.
A complete solution would be to fix both issues #1 and #2.

In general, the branding (and password) works well, but it breaks down when Help is used.

A possible solution is to include the help files with the program, like Notepad++ does, for example.
You click on "? / Help Contents" and it opens a browser window to the help files which are on your C: drive.
Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

Hi Steve.

Providing offline CHM help contents would increase the size of the UVK packages in over 10 MB. I'm afraid that's not a good solution either. One of the good things about UVK is the fact that it contains lots of features in a very small package. Increasing the size of the packages from 5 to 15 MB doesn't sound good. Additionally it would not be possible to brand the pictures in the local help files.

I guess the only way out is to add an extra option allowing to choose the action for the help buttons, only available in the branding version.

Fred
wmmiller

Post by wmmiller »

“If I want to go to my company's website I can just type in the address I don't need a help button for it,”

Same could be said for the UVK website. Can’t that just be changed to the UVK link just as it was set to go to a company website? It’s been a while, but didn’t I choose the link I wanted that button to go to when I bought the branded version? I’m confused why this is an issue. I guess it doesn’t really matter to me so much since I never leave UVK behind when I’m done (except on my own machines) and it would be very unlikely that I would be searching UVK’s website when I’m working on a customer’s computer. As far as where the help button is what’s the difference? I’m just not understanding that. I never use it. But then again, it doesn’t go to UVK’s website on my setup. I’m just asking, maybe I’ve missed something. :)

Bill
Play stupid games….win stupid prizes
Charger440

Post by Charger440 »

In all honesty I have never used the "Help" button. If I want to explore UVK help I just go to the website and look around. If that don't work, I just ask Fred a stupid question and he points me in the right direction pretty quick. I'm with Bill on this one, I'm not sure that spending time on changing and moving the help button would be a good use of Fred's coding skills. Just my opinion :)

Jim
Jim

It is not "Can it be done?" but rather, "How can we do it?"
steve2189

Post by steve2189 »

wmmiller wrote:...
I guess it doesn’t really matter to me so much since I never leave UVK behind when I’m done (except on my own machines) and it would be very unlikely that I would be searching UVK’s website when I’m working on a customer’s computer. As far as where the help button is what’s the difference? I’m just not understanding that. I never use it. But then again, it doesn’t go to UVK’s website on my setup. I’m just asking, maybe I’ve missed something. :)
I too would unlikely be searching UVK's website when I'm working on a customer's computer. However, I do run UVK on my workshop computers, to test it and learn its features, and that is when the help would be useful. I would like to learn, understand and test UVK's features before I risk using it on a customer's computer.

If as you say, you never use help, then you are not likely to understand this thread, which is addressed to people using the branded version who do use help. Maybe that's why you're missing something :)
steve2189

Post by steve2189 »

Charger440 wrote:In all honesty I have never used the "Help" button. If I want to explore UVK help I just go to the website and look around. If that don't work, I just ask Fred a stupid question and he points me in the right direction pretty quick. I'm with Bill on this one, I'm not sure that spending time on changing and moving the help button would be a good use of Fred's coding skills. Just my opinion :)

Jim
Generally, when using a new app, you refer to the help at the beginning to get you started. Then once you learn your way round you never use the help again, and you even wonder why other people think help is important. :)

Some of UVK is 'self documenting' - tooltips pop up with one line of help info. The System Repair section has help info on the right hand side when you select the actions on the left hand side. This works well and is very helpful.

My preferred Help solution is to make everything 'self documenting' and remove the help button completely. I think that is the way the old D7 worked.
wmmiller

Post by wmmiller »

Thing. :)
Charger440

Post by Charger440 »

I rarely, if ever, use the help in a program. I much prefer online documentation and will search the product website first. Mainly because online documentation is updated far more regularly than old fashioned help files generally associated with the help button.

As far as that other "software" goes, well...............

Jim
Jim

steve2189

Post by steve2189 »

Charger440 wrote: As far as that other "software" goes, well...............
Jim
You may not like the price. You may not like the author. But even so, D7 is very highly regarded by many computer technicians. UVK and D7 have similar functions, so there are bound to be comparisons from time to time.

Take a deep breath. Slowly count down from 10 to 1, and let it go ... :)
Charger440

Post by Charger440 »

steve2189 wrote:
Charger440 wrote: As far as that other "software" goes, well...............
Jim
You may not like the price. You may not like the author. But even so, D7 is very highly regarded by many computer technicians. UVK and D7 have similar functions, so there are bound to be comparisons from time to time.

Take a deep breath. Slowly count down from 10 to 1, and let it go ... :)
When I came over here I let it go. In fact, I don't even speak it or his name :)
As far as being highly regarded goes, I really don't know why. UVK is far better and the second one is nothing more than the first one with the bugs (blatantly obvious bugs) fixed and an exponentially higher price. It takes a very arrogant person to put his face all over "his" tools so that you have to look at his face anytime you use one of them. You also have to be pretty arrogant (or another word) to tell your own customers in open forum they are stupid and should not be using your software. I have seen this a couple times.

I have never seen nor heard of Fred talking down to anyone. That, in it's self, makes a HUGE difference

Jim
Jim

Xander

Post by Xander »

Mark me down as a "-1". I just bought UVK today and would much prefer it if the Help buttons were functional and took me to a relevant webpage in the tutorial section. I've seen my website and it doesn't "help" me around the learning curve of UVK.

I have no plans currently to be leaving UVK with my customers. It is for me to use and, at the moment, for me to learn. I now have a about 20 "help" links to my website which do me no good.
Charger440

Post by Charger440 »

I think the links would prolly be better suited to go the help page on the website. However, I have never clicked any of those links, except to see what people are talking about. Fred has done a pretty good job of keep all the help together in one place. I don't know, maybe Fred will change the help buttons to anchors as I think most of us don't leave UVK on the computer anyway.
Jim

Xander

Post by Xander »

A local CHM file would, as said, just inflate file size and online pages are just fine. For now, even if they all just pointed to the tutorial page that, for me at least, would have a lot more utility. Though, as you mention, anchor bookmarks would be a little better.
Charger440

Post by Charger440 »

Not only that but more and more apps use online help anymore anyway. It's easier to update than rolling out new help files or having to look online for the newest changes.

You should suggest the other ideas you had as well.
Jim

Xander

Post by Xander »

LOL. It just got me again, looking at the Run Script window:
I clicked and got my own site again.

BTW, typo in that line-- missing L in "available"
Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

Guys, here's the solution I adopted for this situation:
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (45.47 KiB) Viewed 5766 times
This will be in the Options section.

In the beginning, the branding license didn't affect the behavior of the help buttons. Then techs started saying they broke the branding effect, and I changed them. Obviously, it's not easy to keep everybody happy on this one, so I will add this option to try to work things out.

Fred
wmmiller

Post by wmmiller »

That sounds good Fred. Thanks so much! 8-)