'Send Reports' Does Not Send All Folders (Sometimes)

Use this forum to report bugs you find in the software.
Forum rules
We have no special rules for UVK forums. Just try to be polite and clear in your posts.
Please don't post spam in this forum. Spammers will be banned by IP, e-mail and username.
We reserve the right to delete all posts and ban all users we consider not having respected these rules without warning.
allanc

'Send Reports' Does Not Send All Folders (Sometimes)

Post by allanc »

I have now performed two 'Tune-Ups' using UVK/TTS on-site at two different clients.
In one of my 'UVKSR' I have enabled 'Send Reports by Email or FTP'.
I have configured and tested successfully inhouse, and both Email and FTP appear to work properly.

At one client, both 'Third Party Logs' and 'Logs' are zipped and sent successfully.
At the other client, the 'logs' folder is NOT in the zip but the 'thirty party logs' is in the zip.
Unfortunately, I did not notice this issue until I returned to the office and retrieved the Email containing the Zip.
As a result, I cannot obtain any information from the client's computer that would be of use in determining the problem.

The one noticeable difference between these two clients is for the client where the 'logs' folder is missing:
With UVKPortable still opened but not running anything:
I started TTS and manually installed KB2030369 and KB317205 from the 'important updates' category.

All assistance is appreciated.

By the way - what is the proper terminology when referring to the 'uvksr' file that we load when we
System Repair > Load Settings and open a file?
Allan C.
Fred
Site Admin

Re: 'Send Reports' Does Not Send All Folders (Sometimes)

Post by Fred »

Hey Allan.

Thanks for the bug report. It's working fine for me, but I'll keep trying to reproduce it, as ususal.

Did you notice the Logs folder in the list before sending?
One thing we humans have in common is that we are all different. So, if you think you're weird because you're different from everyone else, then we are all weird.

Fred
Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

Oh, as for the last question, The terminology for UVKSR files is "System repair settings file". But since it's long to write each time, we just call them UVKSR files, or simply SR files.
One thing we humans have in common is that we are all different. So, if you think you're weird because you're different from everyone else, then we are all weird.

Fred
allanc

Post by allanc »

Fred wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:14 pm Hey Allan.

Thanks for the bug report. It's working fine for me, but I'll keep trying to reproduce it, as ususal.

Did you notice the Logs folder in the list before sending?
Neither yes nor no.
I did not go to the Reporting Tab.
However, what does happen if the total zip if >5 Mb?
Allan C.
allanc

Post by allanc »

Fred wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:16 pm Oh, as for the last question, The terminology for UVKSR files is "System repair settings file". But since it's long to write each time, we just call them UVKSR files, or simply SR files.
That is why I was asking.
I will use 'SR files'.
Tks.
Allan C.
Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

allanc wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:28 pm However, what does happen if the total zip if >5 Mb?
When the total size of the ZIP file exceeds 5 MB no more files are added. I see where you're getting at, but it takes a lot of logs to reach 5MB compressed.

Fred
allanc

Post by allanc »

Fred wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:37 pm
allanc wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:28 pm However, what does happen if the total zip if >5 Mb?
When the total size of the ZIP file exceeds 5 MB no more files are added. I see where you're getting at, but it takes a lot of logs to reach 5MB compressed.
I have some additional information as I just completed a remote Tune-Up.
This is what I did *before* running the SR file that sends the zip via Email and FTP.
I clicked on 'reporting' and the 'logs' folder was not included.
I clicked on 'add folder', navigated to the logs folder and tried to add it.
A message popped-up similar to 'the folder exceeds 5 Mb'.
In Windows Explorer, outside of UVK, I looked at the logs folder and there was a 12 Mb file: (LastActivityView.htm'.
Yes, I do use that program as part of my enumeration SR file.
So, I deleted the 12 Mb in Windows Explorer.
Then I was able to add the folder to the zip.
Allan C.
Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

Why is that file being added to the logs folder?

Fred
allanc

Post by allanc »

Fred wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:57 pm Why is that file being added to the logs folder?
I thought that it would a convenient place to put my various enumeration reports so that they would be Emailed to me.
Basically, when I started to work with UVK - I noticed that folder was being zipped and sent.
Does this cause an issue?
Allan C.
Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

Well, the only issue it causes is the one you're mentioning: The file is too big to be added to the report, and that prevents all the other files in the folder from being added as well. You see, 5MB is also the limit of the size of each item to be added to the ZIP. I think that's documented in the help page.

Fred
allanc

Post by allanc »

Fred wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:09 pm Well, the only issue it causes is the one you're mentioning: The file is too big to be added to the report, and that prevents all the other files in the folder from being added as well. You see, 5MB is also the limit of the size of each item to be added to the ZIP. I think that's documented in the help page.
Understood.
Working within the framework and design of UVK - what is the correct way to get a file that size (12 Mb before zipping) to me in an 'automated' way?
Allan C.
Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

There are many options, Allan. The most obvious would be I increased the max size limit to, say, 15MB in order to allow this situations. Another good option would be you add a custom third party app to you SR file that downloads an SMTP email tool and then sends the file to you. Here's a list of good ones:

https://www.raymond.cc/blog/sending-ema ... ification/

Fred
allanc

Post by allanc »

Fred wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:57 pm There are many options, Allan. The most obvious would be I increased the max size limit to, say, 15MB in order to allow this situations. Another good option would be you add a custom third party app to you SR file that downloads an SMTP email tool and then sends the file to you. Here's a list of good ones:

Thank you very much.
I will try the command-line SMTP tools.
I will also post my results to this thread for others.
Allan C.
allanc

Post by allanc »

Fred wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:57 pm There are many options, Allan. The most obvious would be I increased the max size limit to, say, 15MB in order to allow this situations. Another good option would be you add a custom third party app to you SR file that downloads an SMTP email tool and then sends the file to you. Here's a list of good ones:

I ended up using a combination of 7-zip command line and SwithMail.
Thank you for your assistnace.
Allan C.