Global Options Do Not Appear To Be Saved

Use this forum to report bugs you find in the software.
Forum rules
We have no special rules for UVK forums. Just try to be polite and clear in your posts.
Please don't post spam in this forum. Spammers will be banned by IP, e-mail and username.
We reserve the right to delete all posts and ban all users we consider not having respected these rules without warning.
allanc

Global Options Do Not Appear To Be Saved

Post by allanc »

I am new to the program and cannot seem to successfully save my global options or sync them from the cloud ... I am not sure which.
I am trying to run the portable version in a Windows 7 32-bit Virtual Box in a Windows 7 64-bit host.
I have deleted the UVKSettings.ini in the UVK directory from which I launch the UVKPortable.exe because I thought that perhaps this was part of my problem - it did not resolve my problem.
These are the steps that I followed:
Options > General > enable 'Request a password to run the application'
Options > Advanced > Help buttons behavior > choose 'Go to the help page of the section i am working on'
Options > Enable automatic syncing of setting FROM the cloud (this settings seems to be remembered correctly).
Click on 'Upload Now' beside the 'Enable automatic syncing of settings TO the cloud. At this point, I do not receive any confirmation that the syncing TO the cloud was successful or not.
Click 'OK, I am done'.
Exit the program.
Pop-Up occurs 'Do you want to uninstall xxxx Repair Tool portable?
I answer 'No'.
If I start from the UVK icon on the desktop - the options seem to be saved.

Here is where my problems start:

Exit the program
Pop-Up occurs 'Do you want to uninstall xxxx Repair Tool portable?
I answer 'yes'
Now, if I run the UVKPortable.exe, my modified options have not been saved.
In other words, I am not asked for a password and the help settings have been reverted back to my website.

Thank you in advance for all assistance.
Allan C.
Allan C.
Fred
Site Admin

Re: Global Options Do Not Appear To Be Saved

Post by Fred »

Hey Allan.

Thank you for the bug report. It has already been reported a few times. There is a bug with the current version and settings are only imported if you perform a clean uninstall or manually delete the HKLM\SOFTWARE\UVK - Ultra virus killer backups registry key prior to trying to import the settings.

I've already fixed this issue, but unfortunately I can only release an update in a few days, after I finish something big I'm working on.

The real culprit is the SettingsTS and the SettingsINI values, inside the HKLM\SOFTWARE\UVK - Ultra virus killer backups key. They prevent the settings from being imported.

Sorry about that.
One thing we humans have in common is that we are all different. So, if you think you're weird because you're different from everyone else, then we are all weird.

Fred
allanc

Post by allanc »

Hello Fred,

Thank you for the explanation.
I think that I missed reading about the prior reports of this issue.
Can you please point me in their direction because I would like to try to keep on top of the current status.
Thank you very much.
Allan C.
Allan C.
Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

Allan, the issues reported in following topics are related to the same bug, we just didn't know about it by the time they were posted:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1603
viewtopic.php?p=7464
One thing we humans have in common is that we are all different. So, if you think you're weird because you're different from everyone else, then we are all weird.

Fred
allanc

Post by allanc »

I do not think that your recommendation resolved the issue.

I deleted the registry keys prior to running the portable version.
Now, it asks me if I want to sync with the cloud when I start.
I click on 'Yes'.
The sync cloud settings page appears.
I enable from the cloud and click on download now (or something similar).
I then enable password and the start page for help.
I then Sync > upload to the cloud.
I then exit using uninstall option.
I then delete registry key.
Run the portable version again.
Asks If I want to sync, I say yes.
The sync cloud settings page appears.
I enable from the cloud and click on download now (or something similar).
The password settings is disabled as when I started.
Allan C.
Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

Allan, you should upload settings only once, and after setting up the password and all the desired settings. It seems like that's what you did.

Once you upload the desired settings to the server, they will remain there, and you only need to sync them in each machine. So you only need to tick the first and third check box in each machine, like in the screenshot below. You don't need to click Sync settings now, and especially, you should not click Upload now.

EDIT: As you probably know, your license key file needs to be in the same directory as UVKPortable.exe and must be named key.uvkey. Otherwise, CloudSync will only be enabled once the application is activated.
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (32.97 KiB) Viewed 2977 times

Fred
allanc

Post by allanc »

I think that I understand what you are saying above.
I have tried your steps (including deleting the regkey) and the options (password and help landing page) revert back to disabled and my web site whenever I uninstall the program.
Same problem if I run on another computer.
I have also deleted the regkey.
So something is very wrong and I don't know how to fix it.
Would it be possible for us to do a remote screen sharing so that you can see how/what I am doing?
I do not ask that question lightly but I have been trying to get this part to work for hours.
Thank you in advance.
Allan C.
Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

Hey Allan.

Of course I can try to help by remote screen sharing. Please PM me your skype or TeamVieewer ID, and your availability and timezone. I'll be waiting for your private message.

Fred
allanc

Post by allanc »

Do I send a PM by clicking on 'contact us' at the bottom?
I do not have sufficient rights to pm from the message area.

"We are sorry, but you are not authorised to use this feature. You may have just registered here and may need to participate more in discussions to be able to use this feature. "
Allan C.
Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

Allan, I updated your permissions, not sure it worked as desired, as the board is configured to let user send private messages only after some forum activity. If you still can not send private messages, you can contact me through the contact form at http://www.carifred.com/contact/ or by emailing me directly to fred (at) carifred.com.

Fred
allanc

Post by allanc »

Sent via contact form.
I cannot send pm through the message area even after logging out/in an refreshing the page.
Allan C.