Send Reports By Email or FTP --- no longer working properly

You need help to start using UVK? You have a doubt on a UVK feature? Post here!
Forum rules
We have no special rules for UVK forums. Just try to be polite and clear in your posts.
Please don't post spam in this forum. Spammers will be banned by IP, e-mail and username.
We reserve the right to delete all posts and ban all users we consider not having respected these rules without warning.
shifflav

Send Reports By Email or FTP --- no longer working properly

Post by shifflav »

In my System Repair script (UVK 10.2.3.0), I use the option to "Send Reports By Email or FTP". This had been working fine for a long time...but recently, it stopped working. It just flashes and does nothing.

If I hit the Home button, then go to the 'Reporting' section, the entire top section is now blank. Once I put my email address back in and save the settings, it sends reports again. However, when I close out of UVK and uninstall it, those settings are again lost.

When I click 'Save Settings', a popup says that I can save it to a file in the 'Options' section. I see nothing in the Options section that applies. Those instructions are very vague.

Suggestions? This was never an issue before, so I don't know why it's no longer saving my email address in there.
wmmiller

Re: Send Reports By Email or FTP --- no longer working properly

Post by wmmiller »

I was going to give this a quick test earlier when it was talked about on another thread (viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1601") and I also notice everything was blank as well. I have not fixed it yet though.
Play stupid games….win stupid prizes
Charger440

Post by Charger440 »

Bill

This does not sound like my issue. I have not experienced what is suggested in this thread. My issue is that on increasingly more computers, the FTP send does not work but email works fine.
Jim

It is not "Can it be done?" but rather, "How can we do it?"
wmmiller

Post by wmmiller »

I was just pointing out that all the settings were blank on mine as well. I fixed the settings and so far its working as it should. :)
Charger440

Post by Charger440 »

wmmiller wrote:I was just pointing out that all the settings were blank on mine as well. I fixed the settings and so far its working as it should. :)
Cool :)

I still have the issue that the system reports adds links to the fields....... I need to try again and see if I can fix that...
Jim

It is not "Can it be done?" but rather, "How can we do it?"
Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

Hi guys. I think I may have figured out what's happening.

If you use CloudSync for the settings, you need to upload them after making changes. Otherwise, they are restored back to their previous state when the application is launched. This should be obvious, because that is what CloudSync is for: automatically apply all your preferences.

So here's what you need to do:
  1. Go to the Reporting section, input the desired data, press Save settings, and optionally test everything.
  2. Go to the Options section, press Cloud Sync, and then press the first Upload Now button (starting from the top).
You only need to do this once. I advice not to check Enable automatic syncing of settings TO the cloud, because that may lead to situations like this one. For instance, if you clear out all Reporting fields when working in a machine, (i.e. because you don't trust that customer), and save settings, then the empty fields would be automatically synced to the cloud when the app is closed, leading to this situation.

This situation could also happen if you use a UVKSettings.ini file to automatically apply settings. In this case, you need to export the settings to the ini file again, instead.

Not sure this was clear enough, let me know if you guys still have any doubts.

PS: Sorry, Jim, this didn't occur to me when I replied the other post.
One thing we humans have in common is that we are all different. So, if you think you're weird because you're different from everyone else, then we are all weird.

Fred
wmmiller

Post by wmmiller »

Thanks Fred,

I think your right. Everything was working well for the longest time but somewhere along the line I sank when I should have sunk. Or something like that. :lol:

Bill
shifflav

Post by shifflav »

Fred wrote: This situation could also happen if you use a UVKSettings.ini file to automatically apply settings. In this case, you need to export the settings to the ini file again, instead.
Ok...I'm not using Cloud Sync. I still have a copy of an old version of UVK from back in August, and a copy of its UVKsettings.ini file. The old version automatically saved the email address and settings to the .ini file...and all I had to do was press the save button.

The new version does not do that. If I click 'Save Settings'...nothing is written to the UVKSettings.ini file. Since the Save button no longer does what it used to, how am I supposed to "export the settings to the .ini file"? In theory, the 'Save Settings' button should do that for me.
Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

shifflav No previous version ever saved the reporting settings to the INI file from the Reporting section itself. It's always been from the Options section, by pressing the Save to file button.

I think there is a misunderstanding here. UVKSettings.ini is not intended to save settings for the current computer. It is intended to save settings for other computers, so the settings are automatically applied when you install the application, and you don't need to manually set them up. Settings for the current computer are saved in the registry.

If you are an end user who uses UVK in your personal PC, just delete that UVKSettings.ini file, and everything will be fine.
One thing we humans have in common is that we are all different. So, if you think you're weird because you're different from everyone else, then we are all weird.

Fred
shifflav

Post by shifflav »

I understand. But it still isn't working properly. I'm not an end user...I need UVK to read from the .ini file every time, no matter what computer I run it on. It is not.

Here's what I'm doing...so tell me what I'm doing wrong.

1. Open UVK from my flash drive
2. Open the Reporting section...top section is blank. So, I check the box to send reports by email and put in my email address.
3. Click Save Settings button...then the Close button once I get the confirmation message.
4. Open the Options section...click Save to File...choose the directory and save it.
5. Open my UVKSettings.ini file to verify that the email settings were saved...THEY ARE (the file's timestamp is also updated)
6. Close UVK and allow it to uninstall
7. Open UVK again
8. Open the 'Reporting' section and verify everything is there...IT IS. ...good so far
9. Close UVK again and allow it to uninstall.
10. Open UVK (just double-checking now)
11. Open the 'Reporting' section and verify everything is there...IT'S NOT! It's empty again...

Why? The settings are still in the .ini file. Why did it read it correctly the first time...and then just decide to quit reading from the file? It should read from it every time.

This shouldn't be so difficult to save a setting.
Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

Thanks, shifflav I finally managed to reproduce your issue. The problem is that I needed to disable CloudSync in order to make it happen.

It will be fixed in the next update. In the meantime, you can use Cloudsync for settings.

Fred
shifflav

Post by shifflav »

I've tried to use Cloud Sync, but it's never worked either. If I click the 'Upload Now' buttons in the Cloud Syncing section, nothing happens.

For example... if I click on the 'Upload Now' button beside "Enable automatic syncing of settings TO the cloud"...nothing happens at all.

If I try to upload my UVKSR file, I always get the error "Sorry, the default System Repair Settings file hasn't been configured yet..." even though I just got done picking the file and setting it.
Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

shifflav clicking the Upload Now button only uploads your UVKSettings.ini file to the cloud. Then, if you enable cloud syncing of settings from the cloud, it will be automatically downloaded and imported in every machine you run UVK.

As for your UVKSR file, you need to press Set file and tell the application which UVKSR file to use, before uploading it.

Fred
shifflav

Post by shifflav »

I realize that clicking the Upload Now button is *supposed* to upload the UVKsetings.ini file, but, as I said...nothing happens when I click the button. As proof of that fact, if I then try to use the 'Sync Settings Now' button...my UVKsettings file is not updated.

As for my UVKSR file...I mentioned prior that I did choose the file by using the Set File button. I get the error regardless.

I'm getting to the point of going back to the old (pre c++ version) which didn't have so many bugs and worked flawlessly.