SR - "download now", "always download"

Do you know of a feature that UVK should have? Post it here!
Xander

SR - "download now", "always download"

Post by Xander »

After dealing with a PC with a rootkit, I've decided to throw some extra scanners in the SR list (particularly for when the C++ version comes out with profiles). In setting up those fixes, some of them come as a Zip and I don't yet know what the executable is named so I have to manually extract the files, then go back to the Fix and do the Browse, etc. It would be nice if I could enter the URL and the destination, click a Download button and have it pull the file down so that, on the next page, I can browse to its file.

Next up, there are some scanners that don't have self-updating options so the files should be downloaded fresh everytime. A checkbox for that would be great.

Typing this out made me wonder - if I find a great new utility that I want to run under any circumstance, in all profiles, I'll have to add it to each UVKSR individually, right?
Fred
Site Admin

Re: SR - "download now", "always download"

Post by Fred »

Hi Xander. Thanks for the suggestions.

The way UVK downloads files was created exactly for those tools that don't have self-update options. Files are always downloaded if the file to download is different from the already existing file. This means that if a file has been updated in the web, it will also be updated locally.

As for the download now button, it's a good idea, I'll see if I can come out with something nice. In the meantime, you can save your tool after setting up the download, perform the download and unzip directly from the new app, and then use the App Edition feature to complete the remaining fields. That sounds pretty straight forward and quick to me.

As for the last question, yes, but you can have several UVK instances open, so you can easily copy-paste the text of the fields from one window to the other. If you're looking for a more advanced tool for this effect, you could try Tech Tool Store.
One thing we humans have in common is that we are all different. So, if you think you're weird because you're different from everyone else, then we are all weird.

Fred
Fred
Site Admin

Re: SR - "download now", "always download"

Post by Fred »

Xander, I already added the download button to the new C++ UVK. I will also add a Save app in... context menu item that will allow you to quickly save the highlighted app to a different SR file.

I should upload the new build before the end of the day.
One thing we humans have in common is that we are all different. So, if you think you're weird because you're different from everyone else, then we are all weird.

Fred