SimplySync

Use this forum to report bugs you find in the software.
Forum rules
We have no special rules for UVK forums. Just try to be polite and clear in your posts.
Please don't post spam in this forum. Spammers will be banned by IP, e-mail and username.
We reserve the right to delete all posts and ban all users we consider not having respected these rules without warning.
Charger440

SimplySync

Post by Charger440 »

Fred,

It appears that SimplySync does not back up all files and more importantly, does not inform the user that it does not copy certain files. I am including a side by side of the copied directory and the source directory.
dIFFERENT.png
dIFFERENT.png (675.07 KiB) Viewed 4916 times
Jim

It is not "Can it be done?" but rather, "How can we do it?"
Fred
Site Admin

Re: SimplySync

Post by Fred »

Thanks for the bug report, Jim.

When SimplySync doesn't copy a file, it is either because it could not be opened for reading, or it had SYSTEM or HIDDEN attributes and the options to skip those files were selected.

I know have to make the app display some sort of error log and I will do it ASAP.

Have a nice day!
One thing we humans have in common is that we are all different. So, if you think you're weird because you're different from everyone else, then we are all weird.

Fred
Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

I would just like to add that SimplySync uses the "Copy what can be copied" method. That means that if, for some reason, a file can not be copied, it will still try to copy the remaining of the files. This is specially useful when making backups of damaged hard drives.
One thing we humans have in common is that we are all different. So, if you think you're weird because you're different from everyone else, then we are all weird.

Fred
Charger440

Post by Charger440 »

Fred

I will have to wait till Monday to check those files for your suggestions. However, they were Excel spreads that were actually just "save as" files from ones that did copy. They also should not be marked system and on that computer I'm not it is set to show hidden files.... It could be but I don't remember needing to set that.
Jim

Charger440

Post by Charger440 »

Fred

I checked that file today and it was not read only or system. SimplySync simply just didn't copy it. Is there a way you would like to me to test it for you for get the result info you need?
Jim

Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

I don't know what to tell you because I have no idea of what is happening. In my tests, it copies everything just fine. I'll work on it once I have some time.

Fred
Muhammad Tasneem

Post by Muhammad Tasneem »

Jim just a thought.
Do you try to make backup on network? If yes than try to make backup on same computer but different partition/folder.

and I also observe in your pic that it doesn't copy the folder "My Documents on Counter 2" but it make a shortcut.. (or you do it intentionally :) )
Charger440

Post by Charger440 »

Muhammad

It should have copied that folder exactly. It was a network folder but it copied most of it but not all of it. The word part is it left out files that were just like the ones it did copy. Like the 2015 and 2016 files. They are the same type of file.

I could try coping from that actual computer but it should work anyway.
Jim

Muhammad Tasneem

Post by Muhammad Tasneem »

It should copied.... Yes, but I have very worst experience when working with network drives/folders. (it is not necessary that you have the same experience ;) )

Just a thought try these things:
Copy on same computer,
Try to rename the file,
Add some more files (but different not copy/past and rename) and check what does.

(May be you copy/paste 2015 and rename it 2016 that's the reasons because it has same hashes/checksum and same date (only differ in time)..... )
Charger440

Post by Charger440 »

I will try that stuff at some point next week. On the copy and rename thing. It should copy as the filename would be different.
Jim