7.9.4.3 clarification?

You need help to start using UVK? You have a doubt on a UVK feature? Post here!
Forum rules
We have no special rules for UVK forums. Just try to be polite and clear in your posts.
Please don't post spam in this forum. Spammers will be banned by IP, e-mail and username.
We reserve the right to delete all posts and ban all users we consider not having respected these rules without warning.
Xander

7.9.4.3 clarification?

Post by Xander »

Fred, could you clarify when the CloudSync feature kicks in? I'm assuming it syncs at startup and shutdown but just want to confirm that.

Also, since I'm running mine from my NAS most of the time, can you clarify how "When UVK SU whitelist.ini is present in %InstallSourceDir%..." affects UVK? If I start it from the NAS, it copies itself over to ProgramFiles but I've noticed that the settings files don't seem to come with it. I'm sure, for that session, it's using the NAS' settings files but, once UVK reboots the PC and re-runs itself from ProgramFiles, from where is it getting its settings. It saves the .uvksr before the reboot but what happens with the UAK/etc files? Will they be synced up before the reboot or how/when will that happen?

Side note/request - I've had a number of times where UVK isn't restarting itself after the reboot and I've had to right-click the shortcut, go to the file location, and restart the PC's .UVKSR file to get things going again. Even when there's no SR running, could UVK put itself in the autorun list no matter what and then remove itself upon uninstallation? And/or at least put a shortcut to the PC's UVKSR file on the desktop?
Fred
Site Admin

Re: 7.9.4.3 clarification?

Post by Fred »

There may be some things to adjust, but basically, it works like this:

Cloud Sync uploads files to this server only, and files are zipped with password encryption before being uploaded.

UVKSettings.ini is synced from the cloud at application launch. It's synced only if you use UVK in gui mode. If you use command line switches it may not sync, depending on the passed command line.

UVKSettings.ini is synced to the cloud if that feature is enabled and only if the file itself has been changed since the last time it was downloaded from the cloud, based on the last modified time stamp.

All other files are synced from the cloud when accessing the corresponding section. For instance, UVK SU whitelist.ini is synced FROM the cloud when you open the smart uninstaller, and is synced back TO the cloud when you leave the section or close the application, but only if the file has been changed and cloud sync to the cloud is enabled.

Cloud sync FROM the cloud should only be used for remote support. Working with local files is faster and saves bandwidth. Thus you should save that preference to the cloud and also to %InstallSourceDir%\UVKSettings.ini

When working remotely, you transfer your license to the remote machine, and download or transfer the UVK package too. Once you install and launch UVK, you'll be prompted once to configure Cloud sync. Check the desired options (two or three clicks), and you're good to go.

Hope this clears any doubts about Cloud Sync.

As for the other question, UVK already creates an autorun entry, which is the shortcut in the startup folder. It should work, proof is that it works later when you double-click it. If it does not work, it is because something prevented it from working, such as the AV software. It probably would not work if the autorun entry was in the registry instead.

Also, I can not create two autorun entries for the same repair operation, or UVK would be launched twice. Also I've already explained the reason why it is not good to set a RunOnce entry when the Windows file explorer may be restarted in the meantime.
One thing we humans have in common is that we are all different. So, if you think you're weird because you're different from everyone else, then we are all weird.

Fred
wmmiller

Post by wmmiller »

Fred,

On my own laptop with the installed version 7.9.4.4 I’m pretty sure I clicked no on the sync or not sync popup but when I start UVK it flashes a syncing .ini file popup. How can I change that so the question pops up again so I can test that out?

Bill
Play stupid games….win stupid prizes
reggaemanu

Post by reggaemanu »

@Bill : You can change that by clicking on cloud sync in options dialog :)
wmmiller

Post by wmmiller »

Thanks Fred,

I must need new glasses. :roll: Anway, nothing is checked there.
This may sound dumb but, right now when I do remote stuff, UVK downloads the latest stable version of UVK and grabs my .uvksr file from my FTP server. Should I rethink how I’m doing this so everything is coming from the same place? I’m kind of thinking out loud more than anything.
Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

Bill, I confirmed the issue you're describing. It'll be fixed in the next update.

Those of you for whom I created a custom UVK remote downloader, I suggest you now use both the custom downloader and Cloud sync for remote repairs.

Cloud sync has some features I'm sure you'll be interested in, such as the ability to update the smart uninstaller and UAK white lists on the fly.

For instance, let's say you're working on a remote PC and you add a new program to the black list. If Cloud sync is enabled, when you leave the Smart uninstaller, the new black list is automatically uploaded to the cloud, and when you run the smart uninstaller again on any PC that has Internet connection, the black list is automatically updated.

Also remember that you just need to upload the settings, white/black lists and scripts once from the Cloud sync dialog. Once they are in the cloud, they can be downloaded from any PC that has an internet connection.
One thing we humans have in common is that we are all different. So, if you think you're weird because you're different from everyone else, then we are all weird.

Fred
wmmiller

Post by wmmiller »

Thanks Fred. :D