[Solved] Windows 10 keeps resetting default apps

This forum is intended for computer technicians only. Post IT related topics here.
Forum rules
We have no special rules for UVK forums. Just try to be polite and clear in your posts.
Please don't post spam in this forum. Spammers will be banned by IP, e-mail and username.
We reserve the right to delete all posts and ban all users we consider not having respected these rules without warning.
wmmiller

[Solved] Windows 10 keeps resetting default apps

Post by wmmiller »

Has anyone found a good way to stop Windows 10 from constantly resetting apps back to Windows 10 defaults? I really don’t care for Edge and I like to use Adobe reader. I’m sick of changing it all the time. Annoying! :roll:
Play stupid games….win stupid prizes
Fred
Site Admin

Re: Windows 10 keeps resetting default apps

Post by Fred »

Hey Bill. Nice question. Those resets are made by Windows updates. So the most effective way to stop them would be to disable Window update. But we don't want that, do we?

Edit: DO NOT USE the fix below. I doesn't work as expected. I just left it there. for reference. Please see the post below instead.

I think we could do that from UVK.
  1. Go to the Misc tools section, and click Browse key, in Registry tools.
  2. Select the HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts key.
  3. Select action to perform: Protect key from changes.
  4. Click Perform action and confirm.
Note: this should be done after configuring the default apps. I need to test it out, but it should work.
One thing we humans have in common is that we are all different. So, if you think you're weird because you're different from everyone else, then we are all weird.

Fred
Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

I tested the fix I posted above but it didn't work as I expected. Do not use it.

I found this topic which presents a solution that seems to work:
http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/windo ... ociations/

The registry hack can be easily converted in a UVK script:

Code: Select all

<Reg>
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Classes\AppXvhc4p7vz4b485xfp46hhk3fq3grkdgjg]
"NoOpenWith"=""

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Classes\AppX4hxtad77fbk3jkkeerkrm0ze94wjf3s9]
"NoOpenWith"=""

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Classes\AppXd4nrz8ff68srnhf9t5a8sbjyar1cr723]
"NoOpenWith"=""

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Classes\AppXde74bfzw9j31bzhcvsrxsyjnhhbq66cs]
"NoOpenWith"=""

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Classes\AppXcc58vyzkbjbs4ky0mxrmxf8278rk9b3t]
"NoOpenWith"=""

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Classes\AppXk0g4vb8gvt7b93tg50ybcy892pge6jmt]
"NoOpenWith"=""

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Classes\AppX43hnxtbyyps62jhe9sqpdzxn1790zetc]
"NoOpenWith"=""

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Classes\AppX9rkaq77s0jzh1tyccadx9ghba15r6t3h]
"NoOpenWith"=""

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Classes\AppXqj98qxeaynz6dv4459ayz6bnqxbyaqcs]
"NoOpenWith"=""

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Classes\AppX6eg8h5sxqq90pv53845wmnbewywdqq5h]
"NoOpenWith"=""
Let me know if you guys want me to make this a built in fix.
One thing we humans have in common is that we are all different. So, if you think you're weird because you're different from everyone else, then we are all weird.

Fred
wmmiller

Post by wmmiller »

You right about windows update changing them. That’s not so bad but it’s after that, I change them and later in the day there’s a little message that slides out down by the clock saying that they have been reset. I change them sometimes several times a day. I will check that out. Thanks! :)

I don’t remember this being such an issue a month ago. I think something changed recently.
Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

Bill I'm creating a dedicated fix for this. It should be ready by tomorrow in a new beta.

Fred
Xander

Post by Xander »

Found this a few weeks ago. Seems to be working. Had my own PC, just last night, start up with "default was reset" out of nowhere.

http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/windo ... ociations/
Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

Xander, that's the same link I posted. I'll make a fix based on that, but with options to select what to block.

For instance, I want to block resetting Browser, Videos and PDF, but want to keep Photos and Music available for resetting.

Fred
wmmiller

Post by wmmiller »

Thanks Fred that will make it super easy to change. :D
Charger440

Post by Charger440 »

I had been meaning to ask about this... I thought it might be related to UVK as I only have it happen after I immunize but I guess I was wrong. Although, I do see it a LOT right after I immunize on 10. I will try the fix and see if that helps me as well
Jim

It is not "Can it be done?" but rather, "How can we do it?"
Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

The new beta 7.8.8 has an option to set prevent the default apps from being reset. You guys can find it in the Maintenance actions group of the System repair list. I think this should also be provided as a separate app, so you can leave it in the customers' PC without any trouble. I'm taking care of that now.

Fred
Charger440

Post by Charger440 »

What do you think about including that in the immunization app? Just wondering if we want a collection of apps on the customer PC.
Jim

Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

I agree, Jim. I'll try to figure out a way to bundle everything into a single app.

In the meantime, the standalone version of the tool can be found here:

http://www.carifred.com/stop_resetting_my_apps/

Fred
wmmiller

Post by wmmiller »

Great idea guys. Going to try both installed and standalone right now. :D
Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

After working on this a bit more I finally figured this may also be caused by the UVK immunization, as Jim mentioned, more specifically when immunizing/un-immunizing the Explorer registry entries for the current user.

I'm now fixing the issue, but if you have the Explorer registry entries currently immunized, it may happen again once, when un-immunizing. Sorry about that. It seems like Windows 10 does not want us to change permissions in that key.

Fred
wmmiller

Post by wmmiller »

I don’t happen to have Explorer registry entries immunized but those butt heads are acting like the government deciding what’s good for us without our input. No sir! I don’t like it.

Thanks Fred. :D
Charger440

Post by Charger440 »

Bill, IE is not so bad... what about installing Windows 10 WITHOUT our permission? Now, that just aint right!
Jim

wmmiller

Post by wmmiller »

Agreed Jim. I would think they should make it easy for a person to say no to Windows 10 if one so chooses and have that be the end of it instead of having to find ways to circumvent the issue. :roll:
Charger440

Post by Charger440 »

On average I reset a Windows 10 forced upgrade once a week. This cost them people $50 they would not have had to pay otherwise.
Jim

Brink

Post by Brink »

There are already applications that deal with the forced upgrade situation. Windows10wiwi is one such application. Also it's built into UVK already. They deal with removing and blocking certain windows updates. Given that Windows 10 is free for only another 2 weeks, do you think we will need it longer than the said 2 weeks? One would think that MS will quit doing that very soon. Since there will be some class action lawsuits that follow a business' computers auto upgrading to a now need to pay to continue using OS. Of course one would think that that would not have forced that crap on us to start with. We should see what happens in a few weeks though before we try to get Fred to re-invent the wheel on these update blockers though. IMHO
wmmiller

Post by wmmiller »

This thread was actually about Windows 10 resetting default apps which I don’t think Microsoft will stop.
I will mark this one as solved since it’s been dealt with. Thanks Fred. :)