Persistent safe mode and startup with safe mode

Do you know of a feature that UVK should have? Post it here!
binkz1337

Persistent safe mode and startup with safe mode

Post by binkz1337 »

Hello all.

My Introduction/Background:
I am a computer tech and am trying to setup a nice solution to automated or at least partly automate the tools that I run everyday. I do computer tech work as a side job as I am putting myself through College and I also have a permanent full-time job. I was originally using the "free" version of "another similar tool" and it worked rather well but obviously has no updates without the expensive subscription version which I can't afford since it is just a side job for me. I had briefly looked into UVK before, however the main thing that drove me away was the fact that it did not seem to have any options for autologin + reboot into safe mode + startup persistence and continued automation.

My second impression:
Funnily enough it seems that autologin + reboot into safe mode were added the SAME DAY that I happened to try out UVK again. Seeing these features made me re-visit the program, and I must say I am very impressed after giving it another chance and exploring all the features. I am especially impressed by the built-in scripting language which will allow me to completely automate some of my tools

My feature request:
Many of my third party tools require a reboot or at least suggest it, and although I could say no each time I prefer to do the reboot for good measure. I am facing the following problems:
1) After a reboot UVK is not longer in safe-mode. I would like to be able to ensure I can stay in safe mode until the end of my repair (or at least until the end of 3rd party tools) no matter how many times I reboot. I can of course accomplish this by setting it in msconfig but that still leaves the following problem:
2) UVK does not appear to start-up in safe-mode. Of course it does originally when using the reboot into safe-mode option but after that it does not appear to. I know this function was JUST ADDED so maybe you are still working on it! I figured I would put in the request anyway because this is one thing I miss, and can really help move the repair along since it could automatically start the next scan if I am away from the keyboard (and I am usually studying and doing other things since I have a lot of my plate!).

Thank you in advance, and I am loving the tool so far. I have also purchased my license :D
Brink

Re: Persistent safe mode and startup with safe mode

Post by Brink »

Hello Binkz1337. You will find that the author of UVK (Fred) is a great guy that has passion about his software and takes your input about it to heart. He has gone above and beyond again and again. You will not find a more personable or reachable software author. We all appreciate what he does for us. Welcome the the forums.
Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

Hi Brink, binkz1337, welcome.

I actually never thought of that. It seems fair enough that you'd expect the normal boot to be restored only after the repair operation completes.

I'll try to figure out an easy way to fix this while keeping everybody happy
One thing we humans have in common is that we are all different. So, if you think you're weird because you're different from everyone else, then we are all weird.

Fred
wmmiller

Post by wmmiller »

Hi binkz. Welcome. :)

Bill
Play stupid games….win stupid prizes
Charger440

Post by Charger440 »

What "Other" software? UVK is far better than that "Other" software. LOL

Seriously though, Fred is continually developing UVK. Like daily. The way UVK is designed you could pretty much write a program to run in it. I think pretty much everything in it is scriptable and I think at some point in the future it may even be self automated. We'll have to see about that one though.

I keep poking Fred with a stick on a couple projects and he keeps giving me the evil eye :) UVK is pretty cool tool, I use every day and have for at least a year or more.

Anyway, welcome to the clan Binkz
Jim

It is not "Can it be done?" but rather, "How can we do it?"
Xander

Post by Xander »

Fred, the only problem with the persistence of staying in safe mode is that some of our custom fixes aren't necessarily repairs and need to be run in regular mode (e.g. Ninite, WSUSOffline). It would be nice if we could differentiate our custom fixes in some way as Repairs and Maintenance/etc so they could be run once the PC is out of safe mode.
Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

Well, in that case you can create a custom fix that restores the normal boot and reboots. That can be done by running RebootExec.exe -RestoreBoot or bcdedit.exe /delete {current} SafeBoot and then shutdown.exe /r /t 0.

You would put that custom fix just before the ones you want to run in normal mode.
One thing we humans have in common is that we are all different. So, if you think you're weird because you're different from everyone else, then we are all weird.

Fred
binkz1337

Post by binkz1337 »

Hello Fred,

Thanks for looking into it. If it is of any help I believe the "other tool" is basically adding a Run Once registry entry each time it starts up in safe mode. It actually most likely creates that entry anytime it is started but when it is exited by the user it "cleans up" that entry.

If my use of the term "other tool" is strange I am basically trying not to mention or advertise any other repair tools here although I am sure Fred know what I mean.

Thanks all for the warm welcome and it is great to see that UVK is being actively developed and I am really enjoying the scripting!
wmmiller

Post by wmmiller »

“The other tool”. I think most of us know the meaning of that.

Except for maybe Jim. :lol: :lol: hehe
Play stupid games….win stupid prizes
Charger440

Post by Charger440 »

LOL! You're funny bill. :lol: :lol:
Jim

It is not "Can it be done?" but rather, "How can we do it?"