New tool: SyncAll Backup

Use this forum to discuss about anything you want, post announcements and informational topics.
Forum rules
We have no special rules for UVK forums. Just try to be polite and clear in your posts.
Please don't post spam in this forum. Spammers will be banned by IP, e-mail and username.
We reserve the right to delete all posts and ban all users we consider not having respected these rules without warning.
Fred
Site Admin

New tool: SyncAll Backup

Post by Fred »

I was in the need of a folder backup and synchronization tool, for me and for a few customers. Because I didn't find what I really needed in the web, I decided to make it myself.

And so it was born this simple backup tool that has several synchronization modes which allow, for instance, to ensure the backup folder contains exactly the same files and folders as the source, after each backup update (strict mode), or to copy only created/modified files) and optionally in both directions (source -> destination + destination->source).

Obviously, the tool also allows to perform restore operations.

I'm looking forward to hear your comments and suggestions for this tool.

Download here.

Thanks
One thing we humans have in common is that we are all different. So, if you think you're weird because you're different from everyone else, then we are all weird.

Fred
reggaemanu

Re: New tool: SyncAll Backup

Post by reggaemanu »

Just gave a quick look (not tested an actual sync) but that looks nice :)
I don't have time right now but I'll try to test it further this night or tomorrow

PS : It would be nice if it could support auto-sync when plugging a specific removable device.

I don't often use backups softwares but when I need to (for myself or for my customers) I use "allway sync". There's also cobian backup but allway sync is a lot user friendly for novices.
wmmiller

Post by wmmiller »

Thanks Fred. I’m giving it a test run now. :D
Play stupid games….win stupid prizes
Charger440

Post by Charger440 »

Fred

I tested it and it was easy to use. However, it seems to have the same issue as the profile backup in UVK. It's kinda slow.

I don't know why but I even tested one day to just to make sure with the UVK profile back up. It took almost twice as long as Fabs did for some reason.
Jim

It is not "Can it be done?" but rather, "How can we do it?"
Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

Jim, I don't see how it can be faster. It uses the fastest methods available for file copying. If you use the tool to copy files through the network, then it depends mostly on the network speed.

As you know, cabled LAN is usually much faster than WIFI, for this job. The fastest method I found to copy files from one PC to another without removing the destination PC's hard drive was using a cross cable. 8 times faster than WIFI and twice faster than routed LAN.
One thing we humans have in common is that we are all different. So, if you think you're weird because you're different from everyone else, then we are all weird.

Fred
Brink

Post by Brink »

Your SyncAll Backup is pretty nice. Do you use Total Commander? These features are built in.

TC is my go to program for all kinds of file manipulation. It does what SyncAll does plus regular file copy and FTP. There are tons of plugins that allow it to do almost anything imaginable. In fact the feature set is phenomenal and is without equal as far as file management goes.

SyncAll is however, one of the simplest and easiest to use stand alone file backup softwares that I have seen. I could see turning customers on to this for their backup needs. The only trouble I can see with this philosophy is it having links back to carifred.com where they can discover my secret weapon (UVK). Then they would have you Fred and not need me. Paid branding for SyncAll and no links back to you would be nice. Or have it's own domain so that links and customer curiosity doesn't compromise our repair businesses. :)

I do donate when I can to help with development of UVK. (And if you are reading this and you have the paid version of UVK and it makes your life easier as it does mine, it wouldn't hurt you to donate when you can. Fred works really hard so we don't have to.)
wmmiller

Post by wmmiller »

Fred,

I’ve been using this tool. It works great for many things. :D Are you going to add it to the “other products” list on the UVK main page? I needed to download it again and had to come here for it. Just wondering.

Bill
Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

Hi Bill.

I will add it to TTS, that's for sure. I could also add it to UVK's third party tools, or you could add it yourself as a custom third party app.

By the way, I'm changing the tool's name, it will be SimplySync Backup instead.

Fred
wmmiller

Post by wmmiller »

Sounds good Fred. The new name fits well. Thanks!
Charger440

Post by Charger440 »

Hey Fred

Does it work like unstoppable copier and is it scriptable?
Jim

It is not "Can it be done?" but rather, "How can we do it?"
Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

Jim, I never used unstoppable copier, so I couldn't tell. It supports command line switches. I'm working on the help page which will explain everything.

Fred
Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

SimplySync Backup was officially released.

http://www.carifred.com/simplysync_backup/

You guys can import the .sall files from SyncAll Backup without any problem.

Thank you all for the feedback.

Fred
FredJClaus

Post by FredJClaus »

This is a great tool I see many applications for this. One I plan to use it for is network backups. I can put this on all the computers in an office, and tell it to run at a particular day and time, backup up select folders to a network backup device.

Thanks for your great service Fred.