Update does not require password that was set in previous version

Use this forum to report bugs you find in the software.
Forum rules
We have no special rules for UVK forums. Just try to be polite and clear in your posts.
Please don't post spam in this forum. Spammers will be banned by IP, e-mail and username.
We reserve the right to delete all posts and ban all users we consider not having respected these rules without warning.
Brink

Update does not require password that was set in previous version

Post by Brink »

I don't know when this started because I've been out of work for about a month and a half with severe back pain. At some point over the last few updates, new versions (Currently 7.8.1) that have been applied to a system that has an older version no longer require the password to run.

In otherwords: Install a previous version (in my case 7.4.0.0) that has the running protection password enabled and a password is set. Then, update to the current version and run a fix that requires a reboot and presto, password is no longer required to run UVK.

Note: the bug appears to present only after a fix that requires a reboot such as adw has completed.

I will try to run more tests as I get time but currently I'm backlogged from the time off.
Brink

More information

Post by Brink »

The version that I use is the portable in case that matters.
Fred
Site Admin

Re: Update does not require password that was set in previous version

Post by Fred »

Thanks for reporting, Brink. I'll have a look at it and post back soon.
One thing we humans have in common is that we are all different. So, if you think you're weird because you're different from everyone else, then we are all weird.

Fred
Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

Brink, UVK no longer requests entering the password in passive mode.

For instance, in your case, you already entered your password for this repair operation. So I thought it would be obvious if it does not request the password to continue the same repair operation after reboot.

This change occurred when it was reported that UVK requested the password to be entered for instance, when running the smart uninstaller or sending the reports from the System repair section. It was reggaemanu who reported the bug, I think.

If it doesn't require the pass to continue the repair operation after reboot, but requires it when you try to run UVK again after the repair is complete, then it is behaving as it should.
One thing we humans have in common is that we are all different. So, if you think you're weird because you're different from everyone else, then we are all weird.

Fred
Brink

Post by Brink »

It does not require the password to continue or to re-run the application. Also the running protection password is unchecked and has to be rechecked and a new password set to re-enable the feature.
Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

Brink, I did the test and it did ask me for the password, even to continue the repair operation after reboot, contrary to what I said in my previous post. Is it possible that the password is being removed from the registry by other means? Some other application. Do you use UVKSettings.ini?

Fred
Brink

Post by Brink »

Fred, No sir. No UVKSettings.ini file. I'm using the Portable version. Please just ignore this issue for now. It's not really a big deal. I will do testing to try to determine what is actually going on. I'm just backed logged with work right now. I'll post back here when I figure out how it happens. Whether its a bug or something that I'm doing I'll let you know either way. Thanks for looking into it anyway.

-Brink
Brink

Post by Brink »

It was something that I did. Drum roll please....

It did not have the password required field checked in my portable zip package.

But hey - When it's my fault at least I admit to it. LOL
Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

Nice. Not a problem at all, Brink. Couldn't help laughing at the picture you posted. That one's funny LOL.

Fred