Watermark - emphasize Action Center problems

Do you know of a feature that UVK should have? Post it here!
Xander

Watermark - emphasize Action Center problems

Post by Xander »

I'd like to be able to fire up UVK before the customer leaves and be able to point out if the HD health is bad or if the AV is out of date/up for renewal (upsale!). Just had a laptop dropped off for malware and noticed that McAfee had recently expired -- could the watermark incorporate some Action Center info to make it more obvious at a quick glance?
Fred
Site Admin

Re: Watermark - emphasize Action Center problems

Post by Fred »

I added that to my todo list. But remember the watermark can not contain everything, or it will be to big and/or too cluttered.
One thing we humans have in common is that we are all different. So, if you think you're weird because you're different from everyone else, then we are all weird.

Fred
Xander

Post by Xander »

Maybe an icon or two? The default title is normally kind of short and could have room for a couple of red attention-getters on it.
Charger440

Post by Charger440 »

Hey Fred

The watermark is starting to get kinda big. How about maybe adding a quick info section to UVK and taking the watermark back to the basics?

I was also gonna suggest adding "Stay on top" and set the opacity of the watermark.
Jim

It is not "Can it be done?" but rather, "How can we do it?"
Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

Well, UVK already has a system info section that only takes a couple of seconds to load. I really don't see the point of creating a section that is only part of a more complete one that already exists.

The watermark, on the other hand, is a separate app, and can stay on the desktop after we close UVK and can even be set to run on startup. As I recall it was supposed to show info that would help to identify the machine you're working on.

I understand that security software state info is important, but it is already shown in the System Info section, and can be exported to the HTML file to show to the customer. So the question is: Is it really worth to increase the size of the watermark in order to show security software state info?
One thing we humans have in common is that we are all different. So, if you think you're weird because you're different from everyone else, then we are all weird.

Fred
Charger440

Post by Charger440 »

To me it's not. On some computers the watermark is really big when it was only intended to to identify and be a quick reference.

That's just my opinion.

I don't remember if it ever did, but it does not stay on top. Some people may not want it to though. Add an identifier, I think it should at least have that option.
Jim

Xander

Post by Xander »

If the watermark is too big, adjust the resolution.
Charger440

Post by Charger440 »

The watermark was originally intended to be an identifier with quick info. HD status, CPU and Memory. It was never intended to be a "Be all, end all" platform of information.

The system info section does a good job of that already and I agree with Fred on there being no real need to duplicate that. My suggestion of an info page was simply to meet in the middle for full system info and various quick stats. However, as Fred stated, it's not really needed and the current watermark is possibly more than it was ever intended to be.

I'm not sure "adjusting the resolution" is a good solution to growing the watermark ever larger....
Jim