Autorun Manager -- disable without deleting?

Do you know of a feature that UVK should have? Post it here!
Xander

Autorun Manager -- disable without deleting?

Post by Xander »

I've been using Autoruns forever and one of its best features is the ability to disable an entry without deleting it entirely. Good for diagnostics. I'd like to use the built-in one more but it's lacking that key feature.

Any chance it could be worked in?
Fred
Site Admin

Re: Autorun Manager -- disable without deleting?

Post by Fred »

Hi Xander. It's not lacking. It just works a bit different.

When you delete an entry, UVK makes a backup, which is exactly what Autoruns does.

If you want to restore it, just press Create / Restore, switch to the Restore previously deleted autorun entries tab, and restore the desired ones. You even have a Select All/None check box to help with the selection process.

The autoruns checkbox method can be better for disabling/enabling a few entries, but UVK's is better for big number of entries, as you can hold Ctrl or Shift down to select several items.
One thing we humans have in common is that we are all different. So, if you think you're weird because you're different from everyone else, then we are all weird.

Fred
Charger440

Post by Charger440 »

I think I need to make more videos if everyone can stand the sound of my voice.
Jim

It is not "Can it be done?" but rather, "How can we do it?"
Xander

Post by Xander »

It's just that the current method isn't a disable/re-enable, it's a delete/restore which is counter-intuitive when one has used the other autorun managers out there (with both Autoruns and MSconfig supporting disabling).

Normally, I'd be running UVK and a couple of other scanners to clear out the major junk before manually looking at the autostarts so mass-deletion is a lower priority. By the time I use it, I'm either looking for the option to mass-disable (a la MSconfig) or to manually delete a leftover or two.
Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

None of them support disabling. When you uncheck the box, they make a backup copy and then delete the original entry, which is exactly what UVK does.
One thing we humans have in common is that we are all different. So, if you think you're weird because you're different from everyone else, then we are all weird.

Fred
Charger440

Post by Charger440 »

Fred,

I think he is wanting you to add check boxes and keep track in the main window of everything that was in there. I actually like the way you do it and I have never gone to the restore section. My view on that is, once I uncheck/delete a startup option your out of here, gone, see you, don't let the door hit you on the way out. I would be perfectly happy if nothing was in the autorun but that is not feasible, especially when you have an antivirus installed.

You could do check marks but I like way it is now so when I get done, it's nice and clean and if a really want to add something back I can go restore which is highly unlikely as I hate autoruns with a passion.
Jim

It is not "Can it be done?" but rather, "How can we do it?"
wmmiller

Post by wmmiller »

I like that Autoruns leaves the entry visible but have become used to UVK the way it works. I wouldn't mind check boxes and leaving the entry visible though.
Play stupid games….win stupid prizes