Start menu and Cortana not able to start

This forum is intended for computer technicians only. Post IT related topics here.
Forum rules
We have no special rules for UVK forums. Just try to be polite and clear in your posts.
Please don't post spam in this forum. Spammers will be banned by IP, e-mail and username.
We reserve the right to delete all posts and ban all users we consider not having respected these rules without warning.
Charger440

Start menu and Cortana not able to start

Post by Charger440 »

If you get this error in Windows 10 and you are running Avast, Uninstall Avast and reboot. This affect other avtivirus software as well but have only seen it with Avast.
Jim

It is not "Can it be done?" but rather, "How can we do it?"
Fred
Site Admin

Re: Start menu and Cortana not able to start

Post by Fred »

Yes I had that one a couple of weeks ago. I confirm it had Avast and I removed it. However, I didn't associate the issue with Avast. I've noticed that, thanks to the hybrid boot, computers never reboot, and may start behaving weirdly after a few boots. A real reboot most of the times fixes the issue.

Now I began asking my customers if they want to disable fast startup, and explaining why they should. I tell them, if they choose not to disable it, they must be aware that the computer needs to be rebooted at least weekly or if it starts to behave weirdly. The problems stopped.
One thing we humans have in common is that we are all different. So, if you think you're weird because you're different from everyone else, then we are all weird.

Fred
reggaemanu

Post by reggaemanu »

Yeah, it's a common problem (already fixed that at least 10 times in two weekds) and like Fred said you just have to reboot to fix it quickly or disabling hybrid boot to be sure you will never get into that problem anymore.
Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

From my experience, it's not just Cortana that doesn't like fast startup. Up til now I've also seen MS Edge, Reader and a few others I can't recall right now. They just start behaving weirdly, the PC becomes super slow. A (real) reboot fixes them all.

Most users don't mind to wait a couple of minutes for their computer to boot up. They do mind that it takes half an hour, though. So I usually just disable fast startup, and balance is restored to the universe (I like saying this :))
One thing we humans have in common is that we are all different. So, if you think you're weird because you're different from everyone else, then we are all weird.

Fred
Charger440

Post by Charger440 »

Good info, I'll have to try that. See, this is why I wanted to add an IT section :)
Jim

wmmiller

Post by wmmiller »

Can disable fast startup be a fix in the geek section?
Play stupid games….win stupid prizes
Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

Sure, Bill. I had already though about that after reading this topic for the first time. I was actually thinking of making it a fix in the system repair section, as some guys don't seem to use anything else.

Fred
wmmiller

Post by wmmiller »

Thanks Fred! I don’t care where you put so much but it would defiantly be a great fix to have. :D
Play stupid games….win stupid prizes
Charger440

Post by Charger440 »

Fred

I personally like a tabbed interface as opposed to buttons. I've never mentioned it before because there are only certain things I use primarily and I have gotten used to where they are. I'm not suggesting that you should change the GUI, just offering my 2 cents on your statement.
I was actually thinking of making it a fix in the system repair section, as some guys don't seem to use anything else.
Jim