Network monitoring and diagnostics

This forum is intended for computer technicians only. Post IT related topics here.
Forum rules
We have no special rules for UVK forums. Just try to be polite and clear in your posts.
Please don't post spam in this forum. Spammers will be banned by IP, e-mail and username.
We reserve the right to delete all posts and ban all users we consider not having respected these rules without warning.
FredJClaus

Network monitoring and diagnostics

Post by FredJClaus »

I'm currently learning how to use a popular open source network diagnostics software. Does anyone know if UVK comes with such a feature?
Fred
Site Admin

Re: Network monitoring and diagnostics

Post by Fred »

Not UVK. TTS includes several tools for network diagnosis, management and repair.
One thing we humans have in common is that we are all different. So, if you think you're weird because you're different from everyone else, then we are all weird.

Fred
FredJClaus

Post by FredJClaus »

Thanks Fred. Wanted to make sure I support your work if you had it. Will look again at TTS.
Brink

Post by Brink »

What are you trying to find out? When you say "Network diagnosis" you've said a mouth-full. Network diagnosis is a vast subject.

Sysinternals (https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sys ... s/bb795532) has a good repository of network utilities that will cover you for for most of the basics. Of course most of these require the network to already be functional.

If you are talking about diagnosing a broken network, UVK has a few items in the Repair section to get your group policies -TCP/IP stack - Winsock - and proxies fixed. If you run those and still have no network access I'd check to make sure drivers for network adapters are in order. If still no joy then I would recommend replacing the adapter or get an addon adapter in the case of built in to the motherboard.

There are IP packet sniffers. Wireshark is one of my favorites https://www.wireshark.org/. It also analyses protocols and gets you a lot of information about traffic in general that is occurring on your network.

There are Port scanners. You can use a port scanner to find devices on your network (or devices/ports that are connected to internet addresses) Angryip scanner is favorite of mine http://angryip.org/.

There are proxies that you can use to redirect all local traffic through a particular node (PC). Fiddler is a great proxy server that you can use to monitor/capture/alter/replay traffic that is routed trough it. http://www.telerik.com/fiddler.

Now if you want to step up to the plate ($1.4k for the basic version if memory serves me right) you can get yourself a copy of Wildpacks' Omnipeek https://www.savvius.com/products/overvi ... k_analysis. That will allow you to put a compatible wifi card into promiscuous mode and monitor all the traffic from all wifi devices in your area without even being connected to the respective networks.

You want to be careful using most of the tools I just described. You can find yourself in a world of legal problems and get yourself some jail time unless you use them for white hat purposes. Use ethics and have fun!
Charger440

Post by Charger440 »

LOL Brink, I wonder if Fred had that in mind when he asked. You gave a LOT of info there and your right there are many ways to "monitor" your network. Most of those tools I have used at some point or another and they are good for their various purposes.
Jim

It is not "Can it be done?" but rather, "How can we do it?"
FredJClaus

Post by FredJClaus »

Wire shark is the one I was talking about. I'm watching a class on Lynda.com about network diagnostics with wire shark.
Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

Thanks Brink.

I'll see if I can add those to TTS.
One thing we humans have in common is that we are all different. So, if you think you're weird because you're different from everyone else, then we are all weird.

Fred
Charger440

Post by Charger440 »

Looks like TTS if getting a database update :)
Jim

FredJClaus

Post by FredJClaus »

Thanks Fred
Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

Brink wrote: You want to be careful using most of the tools I just described. You can find yourself in a world of legal problems and get yourself some jail time unless you use them for white hat purposes. Use ethics and have fun!
Hey Brink, can you elaborate on this? I was adding some of the tools you posted to TTS when I noticed this part.

Fred
Charger440

Post by Charger440 »

I think what he means is even though most of these tools do have legitimate uses they can just as easily be hack tools which in the US can land you in hot water real quick.

As long as you have permission or are actually in charge of the network your self there is no issue there.
Last edited by Charger440 on Wed Oct 14, 2015 4:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jim

wmmiller

Post by wmmiller »

Yep, That's how I took what Brink said as well.
Play stupid games….win stupid prizes
Brink

Post by Brink »

:) What Jim said. LOL