Automation

This forum is intended for computer technicians only. Post IT related topics here.
Forum rules
We have no special rules for UVK forums. Just try to be polite and clear in your posts.
Please don't post spam in this forum. Spammers will be banned by IP, e-mail and username.
We reserve the right to delete all posts and ban all users we consider not having respected these rules without warning.
FredJClaus

Automation

Post by FredJClaus »

Fred,

Jim and I use Simple-Help. What would it take to set up a script to run UVK automatically on client computers through the Simple Help program?
wmmiller

Re: Automation

Post by wmmiller »

I use SimpleHelp as well. I’m interested in what you’re thinking. Can you elaborate on automatically a bit?

Bill
Play stupid games….win stupid prizes
FredJClaus

Post by FredJClaus »

Currently what I do Bill, is log into the client computer, and I run a few UVK programs to clean the remote workstation, then I log out, and move to the next one.

What I'd be interested in is having a script that I could run through SimpleHelp so that the program would log into a remote workstation, and automatically start UVK and run a given set of procedures on the remote machine without me having to do anything. Other programs such as GFI Max Focus, and consortium are RMM programs with these automation tools loaded to a point. Not as in depth as I use on UVK, so I know the technology is there, just will it work with UVK and how do we do it?
Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

FredJ, wouldn't it be easier to just use some scheduled tasks? If you don't want to do anything manually why log in to the remote computer? You can have UVK send you the reports by email automatically.
One thing we humans have in common is that we are all different. So, if you think you're weird because you're different from everyone else, then we are all weird.

Fred
Charger440

Post by Charger440 »

Fred J

You can run a tool box on 4.3 without ever logging into the client computer. Now the details might have to be worked out but just right off the top of my head I do believe you can put UVK on the client computer, depending on the options you set your script, have it run totally silent and send reports when you are done. For stuff that you don't really need reports on, just setup a scheduled task that does it at your interval. The only usefulness in MaxFocus over Simple help that I can see, we can prolly get Fred to do once hes done with UVK conversion. Matter of fact, when we get to that point it would be another app I would PAY him for :) Especially considering his fair pricing scheme.
Jim

It is not "Can it be done?" but rather, "How can we do it?"
FredJClaus

Post by FredJClaus »

I would DEFINATELY pay extra for something like that. It's not that I don't want to log into computers, but if I could save myself some time by letting UVK do the work silently that means more clients I could service.

Let's discuss your thoughts Jim. Maybe we could work something up and have Fred develop it.
Charger440

Post by Charger440 »

I've already hinted to Fred a time or two but he is pretty busy at the moment. We can still brain storm on it for when he is ready for new ideas though.
Jim

FredJClaus

Post by FredJClaus »

Questions would come in, with your suggestion Jim. Would it be a violation of my UVK license to install it on every client computer? I like the idea, just want to know the logistics when we can figure them out. If it requires change on Fred's part, it will have to wait though as you said.
Charger440

Post by Charger440 »

You can "install" on as many computers as you want as long as only YOU use your licensed copy. If it were the free version if would not matter.
Last edited by Charger440 on Mon Oct 12, 2015 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jim

Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

That's correct, Jim. My only concern is that the client may use your license and make it available on the internet, as a "Crack". If that happens, I'll have to invalidate that license.
One thing we humans have in common is that we are all different. So, if you think you're weird because you're different from everyone else, then we are all weird.

Fred
Charger440

Post by Charger440 »

Fred

Would that password script you made for someone else fix that issue?
Jim

Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

Not really. The license file is saved in the hard drive, and it's pretty easy to find.

Fred
Charger440

Post by Charger440 »

What about if you embedded the license?
Jim

Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

You mean, in the EXE? That would break its digital signature. But you guys don't worry about that. If you need to do it, just go ahead. We'll figure something out.

Fred
Charger440

Post by Charger440 »

I don't know for sure if I need it.... I'm still playing with how best to offer my maintenance services.. I'm just not sure paying hundreds per year is the best option. Well, figure it out Fred :) I wouldn't change anything as far as that goes yet because it might not even be needed.
Jim

FredJClaus

Post by FredJClaus »

I am toying with the idea of just hiding the portable edition in a folder on the C drive. That way j can log in and get it but clients don't see it in their normal use. The only way they find it is if they are actually looking for it.