New feature coming to Fab's Autobackup

Use this forum to discuss about anything you want, post announcements and informational topics.
Forum rules
We have no special rules for UVK forums. Just try to be polite and clear in your posts.
Please don't post spam in this forum. Spammers will be banned by IP, e-mail and username.
We reserve the right to delete all posts and ban all users we consider not having respected these rules without warning.
Xander

New feature coming to Fab's Autobackup

Post by Xander »

Been talking with Fabrice about an idea and he just sent me the beta. He's adding an option to list off the installed programs during a backup.

My goal in asking for this (and I'm basically done) was to take the outputted file, parse it for names and run Ninite Pro to install on the new system to reinstall as much as I can. Right now, I've got a few dozen programs recognized (a lot on Ninite's list, I never see so I'm not going to bother with a lot of them). When parsed, it will run the installer as well as Windows Live's setup if it was on the old system (it's not part of Ninite) and remind you to install Office.

Once that's done, it will then run Autobackup so that it can restore everything to its proper place with all the relevant software already installed.

I can adjust the AutoIt code to create a regular Ninite installer (like you can create from their page). If there's interest, I could post it.
wmmiller

Re: New feature coming to Fab's Autobackup

Post by wmmiller »

Thanks Xander,

That will be very handy. Right now I always (unless I forget) run CCleaner, Tools, uninstall and create a txt file of the installed programs so I don’t forget anything.
Play stupid games….win stupid prizes
Charger440

Post by Charger440 »

Aside from office and works the most common "programs" I run across are what I call bloatware. They are usually branded, Big fish games. Every once in a while I run across one that has a legit antivirus and not Symantec or McAfee.

IV never really seen a use for ninite pro. A friend of mine had and I used his a couple times (literally). But after about 6-8 months he quit paying for it as well. The free version does everything I need. It's not worth the monthly price to have it download and store free software for me.
Jim

It is not "Can it be done?" but rather, "How can we do it?"
Xander

Post by Xander »

Thanks for coming in to heckle but that's your opinion.

If you've used Ninite, you know that it doesn't reinstall Big Fish or any of that other crap so I don't know why you're even bothering to bring those up.

I don't tend to think of Chrome and Firefox (common programs) as "Bloatware" but that's your business. Most people like to have programs like that back on their system. Grandpas love Google Earth; kids love Steam; moms love Skype ... none of which I would condescend to call bloatware.
Besides how I use it multiple times a day on my bench, I'm also using Ninite Pro with my RMM customers so it's money well spent. It's unfortunate that your friend isn't busy enough in his job to need it.
Like paying for UVK - the better tools aren't free.
Charger440

Post by Charger440 »

You know what Xander, We have been round and round about this. Most of the time you don't like my ideas (Most recent one is case in point) and you have no qualms about saying it's useless. You also seem to think your ideas are the greatest ever, especially when you claim to have added to them to that other software. You seem to come into a place and just demand that it's done your way and you act like no one is doing good in the business but you. I got news for you buddy. If I don't like your idea I'm gonna tell you I don't and as for how well you are or aren't doing, are you paying my bills? If not, then who cares? As far as my friend goes, well, lets just say you don't make appointments with him for his good looks. I also don't think it's your place to insinuate that just because they don't have a need for a paid version that they are not doing well in their business.

You throw this out there wanting us to know your personally working with Fabrice and that he doing what you want and I simply express my opinion on something YOU posted. You know what, I'm done before I cross the line too far.....

Big Fred I apologize, I don't mean to offend you by this post but... Enough is enough..... :(
Jim

Xander

Post by Xander »

Not sure what kind of a response you were expecting when you first posted. You start talking about me reinstalling bloatware on systems when that has nothing to do with the topic as I'd clearly stated I'd be using Ninite to do so and not one of the programs (or type of programs) you mentioned are on their list. That's just simple trolling.

I started this thread because Fabrice was adding a useful feature to his program and, big deal, it happened to have been one I'd suggested. I never implied I was co-writing the software with him or that we were close buddies. You chose to read that into the text; that's on you.
Your buddy doesn't use Ninite - to quote you, "who cares?" Hundreds of techs find it useful and do more than leech off the free version.
Charger440

Post by Charger440 »

I like how people like you think we are "Leaching" for using a free version. If you feel you need to pay for something that the author offers up for free that's on you. But as far as Ninite goes, for day to day use, the Free version does the same thing.

As far as installing all the programs, you stated that Fabs was going to list all the programs installed and you was going to parse that list and reinstall programs. As far as trying to make the free version do it you know the reason all the boxes move around on the site to try to keep people from automating the free version right? So automating it might not be a good idea.

I'm not sorry if you think that it is leaching if I don't see a need to pay monthly to have an app download and store free programs.
Jim