Disk Wipe - Not Os

This forum is intended for computer technicians only. Post IT related topics here.
Forum rules
We have no special rules for UVK forums. Just try to be polite and clear in your posts.
Please don't post spam in this forum. Spammers will be banned by IP, e-mail and username.
We reserve the right to delete all posts and ban all users we consider not having respected these rules without warning.
wrc559

Disk Wipe - Not Os

Post by wrc559 »

Hello members,

I have been looking for a program that can wipe the disk of all files and user accounts etc, but not the OS in its self.
This is for customers who want to sell there PC', but I cannot get to their location to perform a complete wipe.
Has anyone used any programs,
I have checked out Puran Wipe Disk, O&O Safe Erase, but none seem to do what I am looking for.
Just want a program that can secure erase content, but leave the OS files in tact.

Thanks in advance.
wmmiller

Re: Disk Wipe - Not Os

Post by wmmiller »

I’m not sure there is such a program but someone smarter than me will likely chime in. Is it a computer with a recovery partition that you could walk them thru a total reset to factory defaults?
Play stupid games….win stupid prizes
Charger440

Post by Charger440 »

Well, Here is my two cents on this.

I understand what your saying, however, the simplest and quickest way to accomplish that would be to perform a restore to factory image. The main issue I see with this being you can not in most cases do it remotely. However, on some systems, you just initiate it and sit back and watch.

I'm actually pretty sure this is something Fred could make UVK or a stand alone app do as it would not be terribly hard. However, if your selling a PC it just makes sense to make sure the PC is clean and minty fresh which is something that deleting user files would not accomplish.

Side note, NONE of the a fore mentioned things would suffice for a customer wanting to make SURE the data was not there as you would have to DOD wipe the drive, at least, in the areas where those files resided.
Jim

It is not "Can it be done?" but rather, "How can we do it?"
reggaemanu

Post by reggaemanu »

I think the best way is to do a fresh install/factory reset but you can also create a new user account (that will use the default user profile) and then delete all the previous ones with their files.
Xander

Post by Xander »

Factory Restore would be preferable (OR a Win8/10 Reset) but, if it's not an option for some reason, here's what I recommend to people who want to give their old PC to a family member (so there's a certain level of trust in place):
* Uninstall any software you don't want to pass on.
* Create a new user and, from that, delete the old one.
* Use CCleaner, flush everything and then do a zero-wipe of free space

If they're not super-paranoid, this might be adequate.

(Edit -- Adding: create new browser-based user-profiles and delete the old users before the wipe)
Last edited by Xander on Wed Sep 30, 2015 7:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
FredJClaus

Post by FredJClaus »

Ccleaner will wipe free space, which is the part of the hard drive that houses things that were deleted but waiting for something to over write it. This process can take up to 12 hours to do in most cases depending on the data.

I wonder though if you removed the UAC profile for that client would it remove all the programs and files as well?

Personally I just do a wild and reload. Reset it to factory settings.
wrc559

Post by wrc559 »

Good points.
Looks like the new user, remove old & wipe free space might be the easiest way.
Wonder what implications we would have if we did this remotely. If the remote session would end when the user changed.... Testinggggg
Xander

Post by Xander »

I've done it remotely. Since the free space wipe is last, you can leave it running when you disconnect.
wmmiller

Post by wmmiller »

Great idea Xander. I forgot about CCleaner bein able to wipe free space.
Charger440

Post by Charger440 »

From a buyer stand point though, that's like selling your car and just cleaning your trash out if it. Windows still may have issues and user specific files have little impact on the PC performance other than taking up space...
Jim

wmmiller

Post by wmmiller »

Agreed. That's why I brought up walking them thru a factory restore. That would be best for sure.
Charger440

Post by Charger440 »

Yea I think Wipe the C partition and factory restore it :)
Jim