No sound after Windows 10 upgrade

This forum is intended for computer technicians only. Post IT related topics here.
Forum rules
We have no special rules for UVK forums. Just try to be polite and clear in your posts.
Please don't post spam in this forum. Spammers will be banned by IP, e-mail and username.
We reserve the right to delete all posts and ban all users we consider not having respected these rules without warning.
FredJClaus

No sound after Windows 10 upgrade

Post by FredJClaus »

Recently got a call from a client about upgrading to Windows 10. After he did, his sound card did did not work. He got the message "No Output device was installed". It took me a while and a few failed attempts but I fixed it. I thought I would share here how I fixed it so others might also have the information.

I can solved as following.
1. Select IDT High Definition Audio CODEC on Device Manager.
2. Select Driver tab.
3. Click Update Driver... button.
4. Select -> Browse my computer for driver software.
5. Select -> Let me pickup a list of device drivers on my computer.
6. Select High Definition Audio Device (Not IDT High Def... this is important.) and click Next.
Appears Warning message, but reply Yes.
7. ! Windows has successfully update your driver software.
Key is step 6.
Charger440

Re: No sound after Windows 10 upgrade

Post by Charger440 »

There are a couple network cards that need generic drivers as well. When I run across one I'll post on it.
Jim

It is not "Can it be done?" but rather, "How can we do it?"
Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

I don't think you guys should treat this as a permanent issue. What happens is that the manufacturers of those devices haven't made a driver for Windows 10 yet, and the previous driver is not compatible. As soon as they build a Windows 10 compatible driver, the problem should be automatically solved.
One thing we humans have in common is that we are all different. So, if you think you're weird because you're different from everyone else, then we are all weird.

Fred
Charger440

Post by Charger440 »

Fred

I wasn't trying to imply it would stay that way. For me it was more of a suggestion that if windows 10 did not recognize your hardware, it will prolly work with the generic driver ;)
Jim

It is not "Can it be done?" but rather, "How can we do it?"
FredJClaus

Post by FredJClaus »

Thanks for the information Fred.