Windows 10 on screen keyboard makes UVK nonresponsive

Use this forum to report bugs you find in the software.
Forum rules
We have no special rules for UVK forums. Just try to be polite and clear in your posts.
Please don't post spam in this forum. Spammers will be banned by IP, e-mail and username.
We reserve the right to delete all posts and ban all users we consider not having respected these rules without warning.
whiggs

Windows 10 on screen keyboard makes UVK nonresponsive

Post by whiggs »

I noticed this issue as I was trying to create a deployment image with the Windows 10 ADK. Whenever the on screen keyboard is open and running, it will cause UVK to become unresponsive, whether its during the installation phase, or if its already installed and running. I have two reasons to believe this, 1) UVK runs like a dream when on screen keyboard is not displayed, and 2) when I acccess task manager when UVK is nonresponsive, UVK reports that it is running normally and the on screen keyboard reports that it is not responding. Amazing tools though, I love this software.
Fred
Site Admin

Re: Windows 10 on screen keyboard makes UVK nonresponsive

Post by Fred »

Hi whiggs, thank you for reporting this bug. I could not reproduce the issue, though. I tested on both a laptop and a desktop, and both UVKSetup.exe and UVK_en.exe. I could perfectly control the application using the On-screen keyboard. Both machines were 64-bit, though. Is yours 32-bit?

Thanks.
One thing we humans have in common is that we are all different. So, if you think you're weird because you're different from everyone else, then we are all weird.

Fred
whiggs

Post by whiggs »

No. I use x64 as well. I have been having trouble in general getting UVK to work with windows 10. It freezes even without the keyboard issue, but less frequently. And this is from a clean install using the media creation tool. Like I said though, I have been having trouble using the tool while trying to create an image using windows 10 adk, meaning that I am using audit mode to install applications and customize default user profie. Could audit mode be the problem?
Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

Not sure, but I do computer repairs, and with the Windows 10 upgrades I've tested UVK on dozens of clean Windows 10 installs lately. I haven't found your issue. I'll keep trying it, and if I find something, I'll post here.

You can subscribe this topic by clicking the wrench icon just above the original post.
One thing we humans have in common is that we are all different. So, if you think you're weird because you're different from everyone else, then we are all weird.

Fred
Charger440

Post by Charger440 »

I'll check it out too. Maybe it will happen to me and I can offer more insight on the issue.
Jim

It is not "Can it be done?" but rather, "How can we do it?"
Charger440

Post by Charger440 »

I tried on mine and it worked fine with on screen KB. Will update this post when I try the other tablet PC I have with Windows 10.

If it does it to you every time, maybe you could screen shot it so Fred can see what all you have running at the time? It's possible that another app is actually causing the issue....
Jim

It is not "Can it be done?" but rather, "How can we do it?"
whiggs

Post by whiggs »

Hey guys. Its Audit mode. I installed Windows 10 normally and successfuly and UVK hasn't crashed once when I just boot into OOBE and set up an account. In fact, my opinion of Windows 10 has somewhat improved, it seems Audit mode was causing a lot of the hangs that I was experiencing with other apps as well. It kind of a shame, but I'll deal. So for those who don't know, the only time to access audit mode is immediately after a clean install of Windows. Once you get to the first screen after OS installation (usually Internet connectiveity screen), press CTRL + SHIFT + F3. This will cause your pc to boot in audit mode, in which the built-in admin account is the account to which you login, UAC is disabled, and the sysprep GUI tool displays immediately upon login. I was thinking that it might be the use of the built in admin account which was causing the crashes, due to UVK's built-in user manager tool. But I am far from an expert. Not a novice by any stretch, but still soooooo much to learn. I'm just going to abandon attempting to make a custom WIM capture of 10 for the time being. According to what I have seen in the documentation, Microsoft has really changed how custom wims are created and serviced, and I just want a working os.
whiggs

Post by whiggs »

Here is a snap shot of a common error I run into with UVK in audit mode. Restore points are disabled in audit mode, so when the installer tries to create one, it freezes up and has to be forced closed, even though the application does install successfully.
1.png
1.png (675.25 KiB) Viewed 2484 times