My computer is running really slow....

You need help to start using UVK? You have a doubt on a UVK feature? Post here!
Forum rules
We have no special rules for UVK forums. Just try to be polite and clear in your posts.
Please don't post spam in this forum. Spammers will be banned by IP, e-mail and username.
We reserve the right to delete all posts and ban all users we consider not having respected these rules without warning.
kratos9797

My computer is running really slow....

Post by kratos9797 »

Hi everybody, I'm new to the forums. I have a couple of computers at home, one of which isn't even letting me boot into windows, and recently I've been taking some computer classes to give me the computer skills I need to be an IT. I've been going online a lot recently to find and research utilities that may help me to not only fix my computer that isn't loading windows, but to fix other peoples problems as well. A couple of days ago I found an online malware removal guide that had links to download a bunch of different utilities, one of which was UVK. So I downloaded it along with a bunch of other utilities so that I could test them out. Now the computer that I have at home that is booting into windows was the only test computer I really had available to test out all of these newly downloaded utilities on. The computer is very outdated in pretty much every way. The processor is only 667Mhz, I believe I'm only able to install 512MBs (which is what it currently has) of RAM on the motherboard, the HDD is only 40GBs(not sure what rpm it runs at), and it has Windows XP (I don't think I've upgraded the SP on it very much, if at all). I've been using this working computer to try to repair andclean the HDD from my other computer since that one won't boot into windows. Knowing full well from the description of UVK that it can be a very dangerous program to use if you don't know what you are doing I decided not to risk having the HDD from my other computer connected when testing out UVK on my working computer and I'm glad I did so. After running UVK (I made some custom changes to the autoscans, which I probably shouldn't have done) on my working computer, it still works but UVK totally wiped out all the custom settings I had for that user name (I'm not completely surprised that this happened) and now its only running at about a third to a fourth of the speed it was running at before using UVK and I am also no longer able to use some of the built-in windows utilities such as System Restore (I think UVK either erased all my restore points or some other files associated with SR were lost/corrupted) and ntbackup.exe (I wanted to try and restore my previous user settings from the backup file I had made a few days ago). When I try to run ntbackup.exe (I've been having task manager open so I can watch the processes when trying different utilities/programs) it will appear in the currently running processes box for maybe half a second and then disappear and the box that's supposed to open when you start it up never opens up. Also, after running UVK, Malwarebytes is no longer able to run (it was working fine before running UVK), it gives a message saying that the balsgrid6.ocx isn't up to date or is corrupt or something like that. I'm still fairly new to the complexity of a lot of these different computer files so I'm not exactly sure what could be causing this or what I could do to fix these problems other than possibly doing a repair from a Win XP disk (which I don't currently have though I believe I could borrow one if necessary) or just doing a completely fresh installation of XP on the computer. Don't worry about the possibility of me losing any important data, I took all that off of the computer a few days ago when I decided to try and fix my non-booting computer. Any help that you guys could provide is greatly appreciated, especially since I'm still fairly new to what all is involved with all this IT stuff. :?
Fred
Site Admin

Re: My computer is running really slow....

Post by Fred »

Hi kratos9797 welcome to the forums.

UVK doesn't delete anything unless you tell it to.

I order for me to be able to help you, why don't you tell me exactly which actions did you take when using UVK?

Thanks.
One thing we humans have in common is that we are all different. So, if you think you're weird because you're different from everyone else, then we are all weird.

Fred
kratos9797

Post by kratos9797 »

Hi Fred. Unfortunately, after looking through all the different options that are available on the autoscan menu and in the autoscan script set up, I can't remember everything that I selected before I told UVK to do the autoscans. One thing I do remember though is that I'm pretty sure on the main autoscan menu where it lists Malwarebytes, another option in the middle(can't remember the name at the moment), and HitmanPro and then has a few more options down at the bottom, I switched MBAM to quickscan since I had previously done a full scan on the computer, I switched the middle one to full scan and enabled the rescue option(not sure exactly what it does), and I also switched HitmanPro to full scan(I completely forgot it needs internet access to scan which I don't currently have at home) and I left all the options down at the bottom on their default settings(one of which happens to be delete all threats found, which I probably should've disabled and which could've easily caused this problem if it deleted something important). I don't remember what all I changed in the autosript settings options though I'm pretty sure that I left the create restore point before and after running the script and I think I may have also selected the "fix the WMI and System Restore" options. The thing is I'm wondering if enabling that last option on the autoscript could've caused a problem or if the WMI/System Restore was already messed up before running UVK because when I first installed UVK it didn't mention any problems with the WMI/System Restore when I started it up but when I went to use it yesterday, so I could look at all the available options to see if I could remember what all I did, it started up saying that it needed the WMI/System Restore to work properly (or something like that) and that there was an error with the WMI/System Restore so it asked me if I wanted to fix it. I selected yes and it got most of the way through the fix and then a box came up saying that some of the files were no longer there or that they were replaced by an unknown file. When that box came up it asked me f I wanted to fix this by replacing those files with there original versions and I said yes, but unfortunately without internet access it couldn't find an original copy of those files and so it asked me to insert an XP SP1 cd, which I don't have either, so I ended up having to cancel the fix. I was trying to upload an analysis scan log (by some option on the right side of the main menu) that I had UVK make before I had even noticed the autoscan menu option from the main menu but the forum is saying that .txt files can't be uploaded here so if you could tell me what kind of files can be uploaded so that I can give you the log to see if it may help at all that would be great. I did have one quick question though what is "Hash 5d" or whatever it's called?(I'm assuming that it requires internet access?) :? :roll:

P.S. On a side note, I know you already mention that this is a very powerful antivirus utility(and "should really ONLY be used by EXPERTS" should be included in that) but in case someone who has even less experience with this kind of stuff than I do, you may want to create a default beginners, advanced users, and experts options from the main menu that will autoset certain settings for the user and will deny them access to or completely disable some of the more complex and dangerous options as long as UVK's set on the beginner setting. The advance users settings would grant a bit more access than the beginners option would but it would still deny access to or disable the most dangerous settings. Finally the experts settings would allow full access to all settings including the most complex and dangerous ones. In the autoscan main menu down at the bottom you need more options on how to deal with detected threats like quarantine only, manually select which threats to delete, etc. With the 3 main programs you have on the autoscan page put in a disable option(doing this can speed up the total time UVK has to work if you're doing something that is very specific) so that they don't HAVE to run everytime you do the autoscans. One last thing, you may want to install a script that creates a log after every stage of the UVK scan instead of waiting til the very end of the scan to add everything in to a log(I don't even think UVK created a log after finishing the autoscans). I tried to use the analyzer to create another log like the one that I want to upload but (mostly because I think windows has become unstable though it hasn't crashed on me yet) when I had UVK run the analysis it barely got started and the program kept hanging and the progress bar barely filled a fourth of the way before I decided to cancel it, sp it was only able to create a partial log file instead of a full file.
Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

Hi kratos9797.

You keep saying the UVK fixes you ran after the scans were the cause of your issues, but I can ensure you (again): The UVK fixes don't delete any files! Believe me. I made UVK, so I know it.

The fact that you mention the WMI was already corrupted when you installed UVK proves that you already had system files missing (most probably infected). I wonder how many other system files were infected...

My guess is that the third party tools (Mbam, SAS and hitman pro) deleted infected system files, which is normal. Bu now they are missing, so you have to get them back.

As for the deleted restore points, if you checked that option you can't complaint now, but I think you did the right thing, since those restore points probably had infected files.

The best way to get your system files back is to run a system file checker scan (sfc /scannow) but it will most likely ask for your Windows xp sp3 CD, which you don't have, as I understood.

So we'll try another approach. Download the service pack 3 for Xp from the following location:
http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=24

Don't forget to choose the right language of your OS. Choose to save the file to your hard drive. After the download completes, double-click the downloaded file, follow the instructions to install the service pack 3 and reboot.

Come back and post if the installation of the SP3 already fixed some/all of your issues.

Thanks.
One thing we humans have in common is that we are all different. So, if you think you're weird because you're different from everyone else, then we are all weird.

Fred