Place to buy hardware

Use this forum to discuss about anything you want, post announcements and informational topics.
Forum rules
We have no special rules for UVK forums. Just try to be polite and clear in your posts.
Please don't post spam in this forum. Spammers will be banned by IP, e-mail and username.
We reserve the right to delete all posts and ban all users we consider not having respected these rules without warning.
Charger440

Place to buy hardware

Post by Charger440 »

Does anyone know a good place to buy hardware anymore? New is just a bunch of "shops" now and I really am not fond of buying computer stuff from Amazon. Where do you guys get stuff at? I would like a place that just deals in computer parts.....
Jim

It is not "Can it be done?" but rather, "How can we do it?"
Fred
Site Admin

Re: Place to buy hardware

Post by Fred »

Hey Jim.

Here in Europe there's a website called PixMania. It's got lots of stuff and it's a serious website. But I must say that most of the times we can find the same products at a better price at Amazon or Ebay.

For those who don't mind to buy Chinese stuff, there's this one.
One thing we humans have in common is that we are all different. So, if you think you're weird because you're different from everyone else, then we are all weird.

Fred
wmmiller

Post by wmmiller »

I use EBay all the time for computer parts to mouse traps.
Play stupid games….win stupid prizes
FredJClaus

Post by FredJClaus »

I have suppliers set up but I've really found that Amazon is cheaper.
Charger440

Post by Charger440 »

Fred wrote:Hey Jim.

Here in Europe there's a website called PixMania. It's got lots of stuff and it's a serious website. But I must say that most of the times we can find the same products at a better price at Amazon or Ebay.

For those who don't mind to buy Chinese stuff, there's this one.
I use Amazon a lot myself but It used to be really nice when NewEgg was still a computer store. You didn't have to buy the parts for your $1,500 rig from that same place your aunt buys her makeup. You also had reviews from people that actually knew what they were reviewing. On Amazon you get a lot of crap like like:

I'm giving this two stars because I had to put those little brass screws in the case and try to figure out where they go. Then I couldn't find anything to tighten them with.

On NewEgg the reviews were from people that knew what they were doing. Not just trying figure out how to build a box and blaming the parts for their lack of know how.

As far as eBay goes..... You really buy that much stuff from Fleabay, I mean eBay? I do buy stuff from there but anymore it's so hard to tell who has good stuff and who is hiding behind several different accounts.

That Chinese website looked scary and WOT didn't like it either. The PixMania was interesting but looked like a small Amazon :)

Thank You guys for the suggestions
Jim

It is not "Can it be done?" but rather, "How can we do it?"
Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

Jim, I knew about that chinese website when I bought a universal laptop charger on Ebay.

The Ebay page had a link to the seller's website. It had very cheap stuff, so I thought: If I get the charger, I'll probably buy more stuff directly from the website. I just bought 10 8GB USB pen drives for $36,50. Those are destined to make install media for all Windows 10 versions.
One thing we humans have in common is that we are all different. So, if you think you're weird because you're different from everyone else, then we are all weird.

Fred
wmmiller

Post by wmmiller »

I use EBay all the time. I would guess 80% or more of things I buy come from EBay. I just find the part number for what I’m after and go to EBay and plug in that part number and find a seller that has a good feedback rating and buy. With their buyer protection policy it’s pretty hard to run a scam on EBay and it weeds out the bad sellers. Most the time I can find things much cheaper and without the sales tax. Unless I’m in a jam or a hurry I almost always buy automotive, ATV, tools and marine parts there. Most seller’s ship pretty fast and even upgrading to a faster shipping method is often times still cheaper. For me, the nearest big town is 25 miles away and calling it a big town it debatable. After that the next lager town is 125 miles and the next 205 miles. Time, gas and tire wear come into play. Oh yea, let’s not forget how comfortable my recliner is. 8-)

Bill
Play stupid games….win stupid prizes
Brink

Post by Brink »

I have bought a lot of parts from ebay as well. Maybe I've just been lucky but I cant remember being burned but once out of hundreds of transactions. You could expect that same kind of burn rate dealing with new parts dealers though. It's like Bill said, just buy from ebayers who have a good reputation. I also buy parts from amazon, NewEgg and even from China. For new whole systems I use Tiger Direct sometimes. You have to shop around before buying from tiger though because their price is not always the best price.

I do miss the local parts houses. It used to be great to just go to the store and buy whatever parts you need.