Is Windows 10 part of the spy machine?

Use this forum to discuss about anything you want, post announcements and informational topics.
Forum rules
We have no special rules for UVK forums. Just try to be polite and clear in your posts.
Please don't post spam in this forum. Spammers will be banned by IP, e-mail and username.
We reserve the right to delete all posts and ban all users we consider not having respected these rules without warning.
wmmiller

Is Windows 10 part of the spy machine?

Post by wmmiller »

Play stupid games….win stupid prizes
Charger440

Re: Is Windows 10 part of the spy machine?

Post by Charger440 »

Bill I have seen several articles on this and how Windows 10 spies on you. In my opinion it is mostly hog wash and conspiracy theory like usual.

Disable Telemetry - Over system performance to help improve it.
Disable Biometrics - You don't want to use the finger print reader?
Disable Handwriting Data Sharing - You don't want to improve the handwriting?
Disable Handwriting Error Reporting - You don't want to improve the handwriting?
Disable Application Telemetry - Helps collect info about how apps work on the new OS
Disable Inventory Collector
Disable Steps Recorder - Windows 10 runs on phones, not interested in your steps?
Disable enabling Lock Screen Camera - Windows 10 can use face recognition to log you in.
Disable and Reset Cortana - Don't like Cortana? What about Siri or Google Now?
Disable Location - Don't you want to know what's around you?
Disable Sensors - This could be anything including CPU temps... want to disable them?
Disable Web Search - You don't want to search the web?
Disable Windows Media DRM Internet Access - Been doing this one for a while but it's not about spying.
Defer Windows Upgrades - Have not heard through official channels this is possible, Not spying
Disable App Notifications - Could be good or bad. Still not spying.
Disable Password Reveal Button - Yes, No? Still not spying
Disable and Reset Advertising ID - Would good to disable but EVERY WHERE advertises now days, even here.
Disable SmartScreen Filter for URLs - Doesn't really matter
Disable Sending Writing Info - Don't want to improve writing recognition?
Disable Access to Language List - Prolly don't matter either way
Disable App Access to Location Info - Want your "Fast food near me" to work? Let it know where you are.
Disable App Access to Camera - Want the facebook app to post a selfie? Give it access.
Disable App Access to Microphone - Want Cortana to tell if your flight is late? She needs to hear you.
Disable Getting to know me - Good or bad, suggests apps and search results based on your choices.
Disable App Access to Account Info - What an app to log you in automatically? Let it have access.
Disable App Access to Calendar - Want Facebook to post an event on your calendar? Give it access.
Disable App Access to Messages Want facebook to message friends for you? Give it access.
Disable App Access to Radios - Want WiFinder to survey your area? Might let it have access.
Disable Sync With Devices - Good or bad.
Disable Windows Feedback Requests - Good or bad
Disable Windows Update Sharing - as long as you change the defaults this is a good thing.
Disable Windows Update for other Products - You want other updates?
Disable WiFi Sense - This shares the wifi password with other computers and devices close. Bad??
Disable Windows Defender - Yes, no?
Disable Automatic Windows Updates - No official word this is even possible on Windows 10
Disable OneDrive - Use it or don't, it's not spying any more than Google drive is.
Disable Automatic Driver Update - For gamers this could be a good thing.

Most of the the so called "bad" things have perfectly legitimate reasons for why they exist :)
Jim

It is not "Can it be done?" but rather, "How can we do it?"
Charger440

Post by Charger440 »

Avast prevents it from being downloaded from major geeks :)
Jim

wmmiller

Post by wmmiller »

Thanks for your opinion Jim. I don’t use probably 90% of the listed crap so disabling some of it seems like a good idea. I’m not surprised that it’s flagged because it is listed as bundle ware but you can just uncheck the extra software. I decided to try it and have disabled all but six items and so far it hasn’t stopped me from doing anything I’ve wanted to do. I’m not a cloud person, or I should say I don’t use anyone’s cloud willingly unless I have to. I know that no matter what a person does, if you’re on line or have a cell phone information of some sort is out there. It’s a great topic and I really like reading everyone’s thoughts. There is truth on both sides. :)

Bill
Charger440

Post by Charger440 »

Bill
We are becoming more cloud based everyday. I'm not a big fan of it but it's the way it is. People are so concerned with "Spying" yet the first thing they do in the morning is post on Facebook for thousands of people to see that they picked a green booger :) We are living in a mobile age and getting more mobile by the day. "Spying" is inevitable and the only way to stop "spying" is quit using tech. It also helps if you don't post your life online for all to see :)
Jim

wmmiller

Post by wmmiller »

Agreed. I don’t do social media. That being said. Other people posting things actually involve stuff about other people. I don’t have time for it. I can’t get the things done I need to without tweeting and facing and what not. It’s just not for me. I can tell you more about what’s happening in the country than I can about what the people around me are up to. Honestly, I really couldn’t care less what everyone is up to.
Charger440

Post by Charger440 »

I stopped using Facebook except for business purposes because I just don't have time or the desire anymore to listen to the drama. "People" are just so stupid anymore. I think aside from business I have posted on Facebook about 5 times in almost 2 months.... I just can't do it anymore.
Jim