Remote Uninstall

Do you know of a feature that UVK should have? Post it here!
Fred
Site Admin

Re: Remote Uninstall

Post by Fred »

Sorry Bill, I didn't mean to scare you out. It never gave you any trouble and it probably never will. It's a very remote possibility.

I actually like your idea of increasing the delay to 30 minutes, maybe even one hour would still be better. That would leave you time to perform all the critical stuff, and the customer will likely have the machine running way after the hour has passed. If he doesn't, no problem. UVK will be removed next boot, after one hour.
One thing we humans have in common is that we are all different. So, if you think you're weird because you're different from everyone else, then we are all weird.

Fred
Charger440

Post by Charger440 »

Fred I like the one hour Idea cause it gives quite a bit of time and it really don't matter if the computer is on. Windows checks for uncompleted, past tasks and completes them when it boots up. So I think that would work fine.

:)
Jim

It is not "Can it be done?" but rather, "How can we do it?"
wmmiller

Post by wmmiller »

I would be kind of nice if it would hide itself after a reboot so the user wouldn’t see it and do anything crazy and then call and tell you something is wrong. Well, at least the way I use it with everything I download going into a desktop folder. I guess there is also the branded shortcut to UVK as well. I could change my ways too.
Play stupid games….win stupid prizes
wmmiller

Post by wmmiller »

Thinking about this, maybe just delete the desktop shortcut. I could change where I download stuff to. I choose to put it in a desktop folder because I normally don’t automate everything and run programs individually since I don’t really need to since I’m not working on as many computers at a time as most of you guys do. The desktop folder just makes everything easy to get to. I’m not against putting things in the third party app folder. It will just be a few more clicks and since I like to do as much as I can remotely from my recliner, it’s not a huge deal.
Charger440

Post by Charger440 »

Bill. Are you using UVK to it's full potential? Even if you just work one computer at a time UVK is meant to make that easy :) You could run all your apps from UVK with just a click no matter where they are and just kick back and relax :)
Jim

wmmiller

Post by wmmiller »

Hi Jim,

No I’m not using UVK to its fullest. I actually like to run most programs one at a time. I think I learn more when I take the time to do things a bit more slowly and I like to take a look at what’s going to be removed or deleted before it actually is. Not every action is run one at a time just certain programs. I run Malwarebytes, SUPERAntiSpyware and Windows Defender/Microsoft Security Essentials at the same time almost all the time but I also take a good look at what’s going to be removed or quarantined.

Ever since my kidneys failed I don’t have the energy I used to have so I spend plenty of time on the computer with the boob tube on in the background so it actually gives me something to mess with. I really don’t do it for the money so much. When I’m feeling well I can make more money fixing a vehicle, a central A/C or just fixing stuff. I’m a very mechanical person, have a bunch of tools and can fix many things. I’m really good at dismantling stuff and putting it back together. I enjoy taking unfixable things apart just to see what makes it tick. I just really like to learn stuff. It took me a long time after getting sick to realize I need to slow down. When I first got sick I pushed on and would always end up in the ER and then the hospital. I guess I’m a slow learner but I’m pretty good at not over doing things now. Crap! Now I’m rambling. That will teach you to ask me a question. ;) :lol:

Bill
Charger440

Post by Charger440 »

Geez Bill, your long winded :)

I never was one to run multiple scanners. They all scan basically the same thing and on a slower computer they eat it up alive. However, if your just chillin it wont really matter much. Except for the built-in functions I can't really think of one that won't let you pick through it and see what you want to remove. Speaking of built-in functions, I have actually started using AutoRuns instead of the MS Autoruns tool. I like the built-in one better.

On the hands on note, I like working on stuff as well. I know nothing about HVAC but that does raise a question... Why are AC units rated in "Tons" I know the unit don't weight that much so there has to be another story to it. I would also love to have the lift that I think you said you have or working on the cars.
Jim

wmmiller

Post by wmmiller »

I can’t remember the last XP computer I’ve worked on. Most seem to handle things ok. Sometimes I need to get things like pop ups and such under control first.

It’s been a while since I was in school, but A Ton of refrigeration (RT) is approximately equivalent to 12,000 BTU/h or 3,516.8528 W or 4.7142Hp.
A Ton of refrigeration (RT) is a unit of power used to describe the heat-extraction capacity of air conditioning and refrigeration equipment. It is defined as the heat of fusion absorbed by melting 1 short ton of pure ice at 0 °C (32 °F) in 24 hours.
If you really want to know check this out: http://www.electricaltechnology.org/201 ... r-kVA.html

Your right Jim, the automotive lift is nice. I wouldn’t even be able to do stuff without it anymore. I use it for mowers, tractors, ATV’s, boats, etc. and toss a piece of plywood on it and it makes a great work bench for larger things I want to work on. Like fixing windows screens or paining our dock sections and things like that.
Charger440

Post by Charger440 »

I went to that link Bill and it was some informative reading. Essentially a Ton is 12,000 BTU which is good enough for me :)
Jim

Brink

Post by Brink »

You could have UVK look at the techs website on run and see if a remove directive was issued by the tech on that particular instance of UVK. It would require that the UVK be instanced somehow (maybe by a ticket# or a customer# that is input during setup) And would need a place in configuration where the tech sets the check in URL.

That would not remove it by remote, but would remove it (with notification to the customer) in the event that the customer runs the left behind copy.
wrc559

Post by wrc559 »

Is there a way to implement this into the program UVK,
I tried the script but have not had luck with it uninstalling the program. Perhaps the corporate PC i was runnign disabled tasks to be scheduled ... Unsure