Received weird bug report

Use this forum to place comments about UVK.
Forum rules
We have no special rules for UVK forums. Just try to be polite and clear in your posts.
Please don't post spam in this forum. Spammers will be banned by IP, e-mail and username.
We reserve the right to delete all posts and ban all users we consider not having respected these rules without warning.
Fred
Site Admin

Received weird bug report

Post by Fred »

Hi, I got this message today:
7.2.3.0 VERSION WANTS TO UPDATE WHEN OPENED AND SHOWS DOWNLOADING OR UPDATING BUT NEVER RESTARTS AND COMPLETES UPDATE TO NEXT VERSION. I CAN DOWNLOAD AND REINSTALL A NEW VERSION BUT THAT'S NOT THE POINT...
Did this happen to anyone else? I'm guessing his AV is blocking the download, but just in case...

I updated UVK using the auto-update feature and it always worked fine.
One thing we humans have in common is that we are all different. So, if you think you're weird because you're different from everyone else, then we are all weird.

Fred
Charger440

Re: Received weird bug report

Post by Charger440 »

Mine updated just fine.

I assume you have accounted for this but Execute prevent does block the downloaded files if it's running does it?
I've never tried to update with execute prevent "running" or maybe set is a better word.
Jim

It is not "Can it be done?" but rather, "How can we do it?"
Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

Good thinking, Jim. No, that didn't cross my mind. But the Downloads folder is excluded by default. And if the culprit was Execute Prevent,I think he would have told about the Access denied error message box.

Still think it was the AV...
One thing we humans have in common is that we are all different. So, if you think you're weird because you're different from everyone else, then we are all weird.

Fred
Charger440

Post by Charger440 »

That brings up another point and one of the reasons why I wanted to try to make it obvious as to the fact of Execute prevent running or not. It does not always give an access denied error. For example, I tried to run my Simplehelp admin panel and all it would do is ask for elevated permissions to run then disappear. I updated Java and restarted my computer. Tried it again and still would not run. Then it dawned on me DUH!! Execute prevent was running. Disabled it and worked just fine. There was no indication as to that being the reason it would not work till I remembered I had actually set it.
Jim

It is not "Can it be done?" but rather, "How can we do it?"
Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

I guess that depends on how the locked files are executed (tried to be). I know for a fact that CreateProcess() triggers the message box. Never tried with ShellExecute(). I can investigate, but not change how the system behaves.

Fred
Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

Maybe checking if Execute Prevent is enabled, and exclude the path of the update package can solve this...

Again, good thinking, Jim. You'r a clever guy.

Fred
wmmiller

Post by wmmiller »

Hi guys,

I have an exclusion set for SimpleHelp because I got an access denied error, but that was some time ago so the exclusion has been set since Execute prevent was implemented.

Bill

As far as the original bug report, I have had no issues. Was it from a new user?
I always update UVK with EP running. No issues.
Play stupid games….win stupid prizes