Freeze when installing Windows FixIt Center

Use this forum to report bugs you find in the software.
Forum rules
We have no special rules for UVK forums. Just try to be polite and clear in your posts.
Please don't post spam in this forum. Spammers will be banned by IP, e-mail and username.
We reserve the right to delete all posts and ban all users we consider not having respected these rules without warning.
fRequEnCy

Freeze when installing Windows FixIt Center

Post by fRequEnCy »

Not so much a bug since I'm sure it works fine when there are no issues but I've done testing on a few machines and it seems that it's a common problem sometimes that FixIt Center errors out when installing according to google search. So I'm sure that the automation process is pausing waiting to install and since it's unable to, it just hangs. So perhaps a check is needed before it continues or a way to cancel so that UVK doesn't have to be terminated via Task Manager. Better yet, to maybe have it fix the reason it doesn't install. I read it may be a key in the registry but I'd rather work with you on this to confirm and go from there.
Last edited by fRequEnCy on Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fred
Site Admin

Re: Freeze when installing Windows FixIt Center

Post by Fred »

Hi, fRequEnCy, welcome to the forums. It's nice to have other "AutoIters" here at the forum.

Sorry for not having replied your introduction post, but I've been super busy with the new UVK build.

So, do you know what that registry entry is? I can add a fix to that issue before releasing this new update.

Thanks.
One thing we humans have in common is that we are all different. So, if you think you're weird because you're different from everyone else, then we are all weird.

Fred
fRequEnCy

Post by fRequEnCy »

Thanks for the greeting!

No need for apologies. Looking forward to the new build.

The registry is [-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\IniFileMapping\Autorun.inf]. I just created a script to erase and then reboot (required). Then it installs just fine. In my case, the key was added when running combofix so it's something that might be encountered in the future again. Maybe if it fails to install then you could remove the registry key in code and the user can be prompted to reboot? Any way you wanna handle it. I confirmed this key and the install. Let me know if you need any other assistance.
Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

Yes... That value prevents any autorun.inf from being executed.

The enable autoplay UVK function deletes that value. but I can still delete it before installing the Fixit center.

I took a look at the code, and in fact, the "freezing is not a bug. If "Unattended mode is unchecked, UVK pauses the execution until you're finished using the fixit center. I'v just disabled that for the next build.
One thing we humans have in common is that we are all different. So, if you think you're weird because you're different from everyone else, then we are all weird.

Fred
fRequEnCy

Post by fRequEnCy »

Fred wrote:Yes... That value prevents any autorun.inf from being executed.

The enable autoplay UVK function deletes that value. but I can still delete it before installing the Fixit center.

I took a look at the code, and in fact, the "freezing is not a bug. If "Unattended mode is unchecked, UVK pauses the execution until you're finished using the fixit center. I'v just disabled that for the next build.
Ahhhh ok! Makes sense! I didn't test after the deletion of the key so was unaware. Thanks for the explanation. Great app and great support!