Not really a new feature, more like a new idea.

Do you know of a feature that UVK should have? Post it here!
Charger440

Not really a new feature, more like a new idea.

Post by Charger440 »

Fred

You, as wellas the rest of us are looking for better ways to make money. Well, one way is with managed services but that can be hard to sell. Especially to people in smaller places like I'm in. There are several places that offer some type of remote monitoring software but they usually very expensive and personally I think way too high, particularly the one or buddy has (ugh!). Anyway, I think it would be nice to have a tool that we could use as more of a marketing tool. For example once a day it would check junk files and see what the total is, check memory and see if it's low for some reason (this one would require an average, not just one test), keep track of when the last service was, monitor hard drive space, check on BHOs and there could be other options as well. If any of these show issues it could pop up and suggest they get in touch with us. In theory this could generate more revenue without them having to do a service contract which is a tough sale around here. You could even charge a yearly fee and maybe even base it on number of users so that the little guy didn't get screwed having to pay the high dollar price.

What do other people think?

What do you think Fred?

Jim
Jim

It is not "Can it be done?" but rather, "How can we do it?"
Fred
Site Admin

Re: Not really a new feature, more like a new idea.

Post by Fred »

Hi Jim.

Interesting idea. So this would be a tool to sell directly to the end user, or to the tech they should contact in case an issue occurs?
One thing we humans have in common is that we are all different. So, if you think you're weird because you're different from everyone else, then we are all weird.

Fred
wmmiller

Post by wmmiller »

Hi guys,

I used to use an application that popped up an alert every 29 days that gave my customers an opportunity to run a monthly maintenance like below and a few other things. I bought a brandable version and then installed this on customer’s computers free of charge in hopes that when they do have a real problem they would call me. I stopped installing it when windows 8 came out because it had been discontinued so it could be turned into a monthly subscription that I could not afford. So there would be no way to get any changes to the program. After initial startup and making sure everything was correct there was a $25.00 fee to have changes made to the program/installer. I still have a few people that have it installed and have had people ask why I don’t have a new program like that. I figured it just reminded them of my service every 29days. It also gave them an option to “remind me in x number of days” so if they were busy at the time of it popping up it wouldn’t get annoying. There was also an uninstall option in the start menu so they could uninstall ant time they decide they didn’t want it. I miss having this application to install because since I stopped installing it I don’t hear from customers that live farther away as often as I used to. I think it was a great tool that gave them the sense that they got a nice free little maintenance appellation and it made it really easy to do a monthly maintenance and as I said before, it reminded them of my name every 29 days.

Bill

Run Maintenance: Runs automated maintenance:
• Deleting all temporary files on all user profiles
• Processes idle tasks
• Creates a System Restore Point on completion
• Defragments the registry and paging file (Windows XP only, using pagedfrg.exe from Sysinternals)
• Sets a reminder to run maintenance every 29 days

Repair Internet connection: Attempts to repair network connection by resetting several network and internet settings that have been changed by malware or other unknown reasons.

Windows Update: Opens windows update saving you time and clicks to get there.

System Restore/Create XP: Opens system restore to enable you to reset your computer to an earlier point in time. This is also where you can create a restore point using windows XP operating system.

Create Restore Point/Vista/7: Enables you to create a system restore point on Windows Vista and 7 operating systems.

Clear Print Queue: Automatically clears the print queue in case of failed print jobs or inability to print caused by hung print jobs.

Reboot Safe Mode/Networking: Reboots the system into safe mode with network access for troubleshooting purposes.
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (141.32 KiB) Viewed 4019 times
Play stupid games….win stupid prizes
Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

Hi Bill.

"Defragments the registry and paging file" should be "Defragments the registry hive files and the paging file", since this doesn't really performs registry defrag, but rather defrags the registry hives.

Anyway, I could setup a similar feature for UVK, but in order to use it you would need to leave UVK installed in the client's machine. I could tweak the "Auto schedule" feature of the System booster to include all the maintenance options of the System repair section, and also make it display an optional popup each time the maintenance completes. That would remind your clients about your name each time it would run.
One thing we humans have in common is that we are all different. So, if you think you're weird because you're different from everyone else, then we are all weird.

Fred
Trajet

Post by Trajet »

I like this idea. (I don't confess to understand all or any of the implications) but I do like the idea.
Charger440

Post by Charger440 »

I kinda like that software/idea that BIll had had but I was thinking something a little different. Wasn't really thinking a tool they could use as they could use as they already have access to UVK if they knew about it. Here is what I was thinking:

Check for the following:
Bad Registry keys
Invalid shortcuts
High memory usage (over a few days maybe)
High number of BHOs
Maybe a high number of auto-runs.
Time when last service was done.

Alert by message box with:
Your Name/Company name
Phone number
Email address
Remote support link

Settings:
Suggested service gap
The categories you want to check to determine when you warn your customers
Whether you want it to show tray icon or stay hidden .

This has the potential to drive more business especially if you offer remote support. This would also give Fred a chance to have a subscription based service if he chose to. For something like this I would be willing to pay a subscription. Fred has always been more than fair if he does decide to do this and make it a subscription I think it would be fair.

Thoughts, suggestions?

Jim
Jim

Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

Jim, I see what you mean. That seems pretty easy to do, compared to UVK or tech tool store.

I wonder how much and how many techs would be willing to pay for this service.

It's definitely something to consider.

Fred
wmmiller

Post by wmmiller »

Hi guys,

I don’t think I would use a subscription based service myself because I do so many other things besides computer service such as refrigeration, electrical, automobile repair etc... And sometimes I may only mess with one computer besides my own in some months. And how much of any of that all depends on my health status at any given point in time. Everyone I work with knows of my health issues and are rarely in a hurry to get things done with the exception of the refrigeration at the local store. I’m sure it would be an awesome tool for full time techs or shops but couldn’t begin to guess how much interest there may be for it. I guess one might need to throw it out there and see how it shakes out. As far as people having access to UVK, if they are using UVK it seems they wouldn’t hardly need a tech unless they do something that really hoses their system and then it may just be a nuke and pave deal to fix things depending on the extent of the hose factor.

Bill
Charger440

Post by Charger440 »

Bill

Fred has UVK available to anyone. I'm not real big on that and I don't really like my people knowing the tools I use. I don't go out of my way to hide the tools and I won't lie if asked but I don't volunteer the info either.

It's OK with me that Fred lets everyone have access to it because we all have to make money and I can't fault him for that.

As far as the subscription goes I am not normally big on subscriptions but I think this idea could help those of us that are in an area where service contracts are not typical and hard to push out to clients. This way you give suggestions to clients about possible issues and might then be able charge less per event and but generate more events therefore making more money over all. We all know that Fred works hard for us and really listens and helps out. This, if he chose to do so, would also generate recurring income for him as well. It would be a win, win. I'm not worried about the price if he chooses to do it because, so far, he has been more than fair on the price and I have no issues with throwing him some dollars. It is well deserved dollars :)

Jim
Jim

wmmiller

Post by wmmiller »

Hi Jim,

Don’t misunderstand me. I think it’s great that UVK is there for anyone who wants to learn how to use it. It’s actually very generous. I found UVK while using d7 and at first I used UVK sometimes, but now I haven’t used d7 for some time and I really don’t need it anymore because of UVK. Fred has been super good to me and has helped and taught me a bunch. Fred works super hard on his programs, so while it’s not much I donate to UVK when I can. I like you don’t advertise the tools I use but I also don’t hide them. Heck, most tools I use are either free or have a free version available. I think the saying is, “you’re not paying me to push buttons, you’re paying me to know which buttons to push”. Anyway, no matter what Fred puts out if anything, it will work well or he will work on it until it does.

Bill
Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

Wow, you guys are really nice.

Personally, I don't think UVK "steals" many clients from techs. People who know how to use UVK also know how to use other similar tools (tweaking.com, process manager, autoruns, geek uninstaller, ccleaner, MBAM, roguekiller, adwcleaner, etc), and they hardly need technician services. Those are what we call geeks.

On the other hand, people who don't know how to use UVK, but use it anyway, will end up needing professional services sooner or later, either because they used UVK on a wrong way, and screwed up something, or they just can't find how to repair their issue using UVK.

Anyway, I'm aware that UVK doesn't fix everything, nor does D7 or any other tool. Sometimes we need special tools for specific problems. That's were the custom third party apps come in handy.

For instance I have several clients in the local nursing house. Recently one of them lost internet connection. The nursing house has a big WIFI network protected by Fortinet, and his mac address had been blocked for some reason. I contacted the network administrator, who told me the problem lied in the computer, which I new was not true. So I had to use Technitium Mac address changer to change the Mac address of his wifi card, and he recovered internet connection right away.

I could add a mac address changing feature to UVK, but I don't think it is wort the bother, because it is something we rarely need.

Fred
Charger440

Post by Charger440 »

Hey Fred

I'm not sure what to make of your last post. It almost seems like you think Bill and I are mad about selling UVK to just anyone and that is certainly not the case. Everyone wants to make a dollar and I totally get that. I'm glad you are selling to other people. The more money you make on it the more likely you are to keep working on it.

One of the major issues I had with our buddy on the outer banks making d7 is that he seemed to think it would be cool to raise his price from $100 per major version to over $300 per year and only did some updates that he should have done to the $100 version. He was just greedy. The real kicker was him starting a division of his company that would directly compete with us using the same software he was gouging us for. The likely hood that he would actually get a customer in my area is slim but the fact that he wants too is enough to piss me off.

I have absolutely no issue with you selling UVK to who ever happens to find it and I don't think Bill does either :)

:)
Jim

steve2189

Post by steve2189 »

Charger440 wrote:Fred

You, as wellas the rest of us are looking for better ways to make money. Well, one way is with managed services but that can be hard to sell. Especially to people in smaller places like I'm in. There are several places that offer some type of remote monitoring software but they usually very expensive and personally I think way too high, particularly the one or buddy has (ugh!). Anyway, I think it would be nice to have a tool that we could use as more of a marketing tool. For example once a day it would check junk files and see what the total is, check memory and see if it's low for some reason (this one would require an average, not just one test), keep track of when the last service was, monitor hard drive space, check on BHOs and there could be other options as well. If any of these show issues it could pop up and suggest they get in touch with us. In theory this could generate more revenue without them having to do a service contract which is a tough sale around here. You could even charge a yearly fee and maybe even base it on number of users so that the little guy didn't get screwed having to pay the high dollar price.

What do other people think?

What do you think Fred?

Jim
"... more like a new idea" - I don't think so.
What you are describing is Project Kabuto - the latest project that RepairTech is developing. It is due for release very soon.
http://kabuto.repairtechsolutions.com/
Charger440

Post by Charger440 »

Yep, I have seen Kabuto and have seen RepairTech. I have actually used their software a time or two. When TechUSB was beta I tested it. It took aver 5 hours for TechUSB to complete which did not impress me much. As far as TechWARU goes.... It's essentially a rebranded D7 and in the spirit of clean conversation I will not share what I think of D7 or it's "author." As far as RepairTech and Kabuto goes, It will most likely be like TechWARU. It's subscription based and mostly contains Online "services" that I neither want nor need. However it did seem like it might be a good idea and If Fred was interested I thought it might help generate income for both him and his customers. If he is not I will wait and see what recurring price RepairTech puts on it but most likely will wind up writing it myself when I have time....

Jim
Jim