Running a script

Use this forum to discuss about anything you want, post announcements and informational topics.
Forum rules
We have no special rules for UVK forums. Just try to be polite and clear in your posts.
Please don't post spam in this forum. Spammers will be banned by IP, e-mail and username.
We reserve the right to delete all posts and ban all users we consider not having respected these rules without warning.
Charger440

Running a script

Post by Charger440 »

Fred

After I completed my Vipre script I tried to set it up to run as one of my cleaning tools like I would if Vipre wasn't so difficult to download.
After I set it up as a system repair option all it does is tell me that the task has been completed. I think that it should work just as if I had
double clicked it. What's your thoughts on this?

Jim
Jim

It is not "Can it be done?" but rather, "How can we do it?"
Fred
Site Admin

Re: Running a script

Post by Fred »

Hi Jim. Vipre rescue is not hard to download. The download url redirects to the latest file through a META tag. This ensures you always download the latest version. UVK supports this type of redirect, so it should be easy.

Code: Select all

<UpdateSoftware>
%ThirdParty%\VipreRescue.exe | http://www.vipreantivirus.com/live/Download2/
Or if you want to make it a third party app:
  • App name: Vipre rescue scanner
    Download url: http://www.vipreantivirus.com/live/Download2/
    Download file: %ThirdParty%\VipreRescue.exe
    Download type: Direct download
Or if you want to use the softpedia download:
  • Download url: http://www.softpedia.com/get/Antivirus/VIPRE-Rescue-Scanner.shtml
    Download type: Softpedia page

The download is big and takes a while to complete, so you gotta be patient. It took me about 5 min to complete.
One thing we humans have in common is that we are all different. So, if you think you're weird because you're different from everyone else, then we are all weird.

Fred
Charger440

Post by Charger440 »

Fred I will try that but when I tried that it did not seem to do anything except tell me it was done about 2 seconds after it started.

I noticed you used the <UpdateSoftware> tag which has different functionality than <Download> it seems. I just used download.

Vipre is about 168 Meg and took about a min - min and a half in the script I made.

I guess if UVK really does not give up when it says it did is that something maybe you fix at some point? I created that script because UVK said it was done, the download was only about 600K and I took it at its word that it was done.

Jim
Jim

Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

Jim, the <Download> tag does not support META redirects. It only supports direct downloads. Moreover, the <UpdateSoftware> method has much more functionality: It supports several download methods, META redirects and only downloads the files if they are not already downloaded and up to date. The System repair third party apps also use the same features.

Just try that script and you'll see the difference.
One thing we humans have in common is that we are all different. So, if you think you're weird because you're different from everyone else, then we are all weird.

Fred
Charger440

Post by Charger440 »

Fred the very first time I tried it, I set it up through the system repair but I will certainly try it again later and I will wait and see what happens. :)

I'll let you know how it works for me.

Jim
Jim

Charger440

Post by Charger440 »

Fred

I just did it again in the system repair and I set it up with the "download2" url and as you said it worked fine. I guess it wasn't clear that it supports meta refresh. I tried the download page and then direct download using the "download2" url and it didn't work. Oh well, more practice at AutoIT and just trying to help.....

Jim
Jim