PCRT

Do you know of a feature that UVK should have? Post it here!
Charger440

PCRT

Post by Charger440 »

Fred

It's me again. I use PCRT (other people here might also) for my PC tracking and it has CPU, HD, Video, Optical drive, Windows Version, Windows Key, screen size, serial number or service tag, make and model of PC and RAM as the details to track on each one. I have found various software to get all this info. d7, which I just left had most of the info, SIW has all the info but it's hard to find, Speccy has it and several other tools have it but they are also hard to find. I noticed that the system info in UVK has all that info in it but it's missing the screen size, the hard drive brand and model and the RAM type. I'm not sure about other folks but if you added that I could get rid of at least one tool in my box. Anyone else use PCRT?

Thank you
Jim
Jim

It is not "Can it be done?" but rather, "How can we do it?"
Fred
Site Admin

Re: PCRT

Post by Fred »

Hi Jim. I will make some improvements in the system info section.

The reason why I didn't do it before is that, the way I coded the controls it don't have any room left to add controls. I'm trying to figure out the best way to list all the info in a way it can show as much info as I need to. Maybe I will use a listview control with groups.
One thing we humans have in common is that we are all different. So, if you think you're weird because you're different from everyone else, then we are all weird.

Fred
Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

Hello Jim.

I uploaded a new beta today. The system info now shows much more data.
http://www.carifred.com/uvk/beta

Care to try it out and see if I missed anything important?

Thanks
One thing we humans have in common is that we are all different. So, if you think you're weird because you're different from everyone else, then we are all weird.

Fred
wmmiller

Post by wmmiller »

Nice! Thanks Fred. :D
Play stupid games….win stupid prizes
Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

Hi Bill. Glad you liked it. I just added a new one:
ausettings.jpg
ausettings.jpg (17.27 KiB) Viewed 11412 times
Would you add something else? Please let me know. No that I did it this way, I can add whatever I want.

Fred
wmmiller

Post by wmmiller »

Hi Fred.
I can’t think of anything off the top of my head, but will let you know if I think of anything.
Bill
Play stupid games….win stupid prizes
Charger440

Post by Charger440 »

I wish I had noticed this earlier I would not have made my other post. You can move it over here if you like, I don't want to double post on you. Thank you for your work on it though! :)

Jim Walker
Jim

Iscadigital

Post by Iscadigital »

Would it be possible to add serial numbers for any components that have them available? Primarily the bios and hard drive serials. I know jim mentioned them, but they don't seem to be there in the current beta.

Thanks,

Chris
Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

Nice machine you've go there, Jim. I'll buy one of those when I sell one million UVK licenses :D

Thank you all for the suggestions. Here's what I've added so far:

Product serial: This is the same serial displayed in the Manufacturer's tag (at least it is on my laptop). Normally this is the same as the motherboard and bios serial, so I didn't see the point in repeating the same info several times. But if you guys insist, I can add those too. I could not find out how to convert the serial to SNID. If any of you guys know how to do it, please tell, and I will add that info.

Computer type: This is very important to easily now if it is a laptop or desktop.

Hard disks and partition drives. This shows per physical HD and partition info, including hard disk name, size, and serial. See screenshot below.

I didn't add the RAM type in the top header as Jim suggested because it can be ambiguous. Some boards have slots for more than one RAM type. Also this field is not really the total physical memory. It shows the total memory allowed to be used by applications. Real physical memory info can be found in the Memory (RAM) devices:. see below.
sysinfo1.jpg
sysinfo1.jpg (84.01 KiB) Viewed 11318 times
Memory (RAM) devices: A new line shows the total physical memory installed.
The other lines show per memory module info, including the RAM type, module name and speed.
sysinfo2.jpg
sysinfo2.jpg (24.76 KiB) Viewed 11318 times
And that's it, for now. I'm working in a new feature, so I'll update this new beta in a day or two.

Fred
Charger440

Post by Charger440 »

Fred

I am including two system info files (Bill, I hid the keys this time! :) ) from two different computers. In these two you will notice the total RAM is 3GB but in the Memory section it shows a total of 5 GB. In the other one the total RAM is 4GB but in the lower section it shows a total of 8GB. In the 8 GB one it actually lists the two sticks as being 4GB each when they are 2GB each. On the 5GB one it lists the 2GB one twice. In case you need more info I have the SIW reports on both of them that gives way more detail. Which is why I like your info better I only need the basics, I can always run SIW if I really need details :)

Jim Walker
Attachments
SysInfoExamples.7z
The examples of the RAM issue.
(6.63 KiB) Downloaded 471 times
Jim

Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

Thanks Jim. I was using the wrong approach to get memory stick info. It should be OK in the next update.

The next update will also show the real motherboard model and chipset info.

Fred
Iscadigital

Post by Iscadigital »

To get an Acer SNID, you:
1. Take characters 10-12. These are the first three digits.
2. Take characters 13-18. Then parse them as hexadecimal, and the decimal version is your next 6 digits.
3. Take characters 19-20. These are the last two digits.

Unfortunately I can't provide code since I'm not sure what language uvk is written in, but thanks for adding that info! Would you mind adding express service codes for dell too? Info here: http://creativyst.com/Doc/Articles/HT/Dell/DellNumb.htm (it's just conversion from base-36 to base-10)

(source: http://acersupport.com/acerpanam/deskto ... aq29.shtml )
Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

Thanks Iscadigital, I'll add that info ASAP. I think the acer method will work for Packard bell too.

Edit: UVK is written in AutoIt and C++. I use a C++ Dll to do the things that AutoIt can't do or is too slow. I should have written it in totally in C++ since the beginning, but I didn't, and now there's too much code to convert...

Fred
Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

Thank you all again for helping make UVK better. I added all the requested features and uploaded a new beta version. Anyone who wants to try it out can find it here:

http://www.carifred.com/uvk/beta

Fred