Uninstaller Woes

Use this forum to report bugs you find in the software.
Forum rules
We have no special rules for UVK forums. Just try to be polite and clear in your posts.
Please don't post spam in this forum. Spammers will be banned by IP, e-mail and username.
We reserve the right to delete all posts and ban all users we consider not having respected these rules without warning.
zbmowrey

Uninstaller Woes

Post by zbmowrey »

The latest beta isn't doing me any good on uninstaller errors.

I'd say it works without error half the time, the other half is 40% "crash without error code" and 10% "the instruction at 0xIcantRemember referenced memory at 0x00000000."

I will update this post (or reply to the thread) when I get to work tomorrow, as I wrote down the "IcantRemember" address but forgot (haha) to bring it home.

I'm not using it for anything exotic - the usual assortment of junkware crap. I haven't noticed an individual program that consistently causes it... it's all over the map. One day, it's Web Bar and PC Optimizer, the next it's PC Reg Cleaner by itself, another day might be 15 different programs all together.

I'll start working on journalling my uninstalls to see if I can trap out what variable might be doing this, but that's going to be spotty at best. When you run at my pace, it's hard enough to keep customer names straight.
Fred
Site Admin

Re: Uninstaller Woes

Post by Fred »

Hi zbmowrey.

When does the crash take place? while scanning for remnants, or afterwards, when removing the errors?
One thing we humans have in common is that we are all different. So, if you think you're weird because you're different from everyone else, then we are all weird.

Fred
zbmowrey

Post by zbmowrey »

After I tell it to force uninstall, but before the remnant scan.

I select the programs to remove, check the Force uninstall box (which also checks the scan for remnants box), then click the remove button, count out 2-3 seconds, and crash.
zbmowrey

Post by zbmowrey »

Not sure if the instruction location matters, but here goes...

Instruction at 0xE0D5A345 referenced memory at location 0x00000000.
Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

Thanks zbmowrey. I checked out where I could be passing a NULL pointer, and other stuff that could be making the application crash.

If you don't mind testing the new beta 6.5.1.3, it would be great. I tested on my side, in several windows versions, and removing several (adware and genuine) programs at once. I really tested lots of times, been testing all day. The application never crashed.

Hope the same happens for you.
One thing we humans have in common is that we are all different. So, if you think you're weird because you're different from everyone else, then we are all weird.

Fred
zbmowrey

Post by zbmowrey »

Undead thread, I know, but an update.

I saw 6.6.2.2 announced a fix for the uninstaller and had multiple opportunities to test it yesterday. It is flawless. Beautiful job, appears to have fixed the issue for my case.

Thank you for such an awesome tool!