[Solved] Uninstall Remnants

You need help to start using UVK? You have a doubt on a UVK feature? Post here!
Forum rules
We have no special rules for UVK forums. Just try to be polite and clear in your posts.
Please don't post spam in this forum. Spammers will be banned by IP, e-mail and username.
We reserve the right to delete all posts and ban all users we consider not having respected these rules without warning.
krynn72

[Solved] Uninstall Remnants

Post by krynn72 »

Hi, I'm not sure if I'm just doing something wrong, or having an encounter with a bug so I'm not sure where to put this thread. But I am having an issue with UVK (after being turned on to it by the Technibble article). Its an issue with the Smart Uninstaller, specifically the Remove Remnants option. Basically I am able to remove the applications that are selected, but after it scans for and finds remnants I am unable to do anything at that point. The program seems active still as I can get the mouse-over highlights on any buttons, but when I try an press a button it has no response (not even the button depress graphic). Not only am I unable to remove the remnants, but I'm unable to go back to the smart uninstaller page, and the only thing I can do is close the application entirely, at which point it reminds me I have "x amount of remnants remaining" to delete.

This has been happening since I bought it a bit over a week ago on a dozen or more different computers. I have tried activating my key a couple times on multiple of those occasions (with it always acknowledging in the About section that it's licensed to me), and has been happening since I bought it (I forget which version #) and continues to happen with the current version after updating it (6.4.0.0), and happens with both portable versions (.com and .exe).

The tool is still fantastic without this feature, and I am still entirely happy with it, but it'd be nice to be able to remove Revo from my portable tools folder :)
Fred
Site Admin

Re: Uninstall Remnants

Post by Fred »

Hello krynn72, welcome and thanks for reporting the issue.

Unfortunately I was unable to reproduce the issue. I tested by selecting the flash player activex and plugin, and both 64 and 32 bits java installations. I tested with Forced uninstall and Scan and remove remnants, then with Try unattended uninstall and Scan and remove remnants, and then all three options checked.

It always worked fine. I even tried without license, and installing the license after the remnants scan in the prompt. No issues.

But if you are having those issues, obviously there's something wrong. Can you tell a bit more about those machines? Were they all the same arch? 32 bits, 64? Windows version?

Thanks
One thing we humans have in common is that we are all different. So, if you think you're weird because you're different from everyone else, then we are all weird.

Fred
Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

Also, have you tried the other buttons, or the treeview's context menu? Did they work?

I just tested again, now in a 32 bit Windows 7 VM. All went fine.
One thing we humans have in common is that we are all different. So, if you think you're weird because you're different from everyone else, then we are all weird.

Fred
krynn72

Post by krynn72 »

Hrm, its very odd. I just tried it on my home pc to see if I could record my screen to make it easier for you to see, and it worked just fine. When I get back to work next week I will try to write down what systems it wasn't working on, because if my memory serves, this was the first time I've gotten it to work, and I don't think I did anything differently.

The other buttons did not work. I was simply stuck on that particular screen until I close the app. Before trying it at home I had tried to record my screen on my work laptop, and the program just crashed (giving the normal windows message "A problem caused the program to stop working correctly), which it also has never done before on a customer's laptop.

The machines I've been using it on have been a range of customer's machines from Vista to 8.1, and any number of brands. I suspect most were x64, but considering how many I've done, I would guess at least one or two x86. I'm wondering if perhaps my procedure (I mainly use the Smart uninstaller after a virus removal/tune up to get rid of any other junkware) may be having an effect. Fix Install Problems is one of the items I check for automated repairs, in addition to several others.

Maybe I will stop in tomorrow to see if I can reproduce my issue again and take notes on what I was doing.
Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

I think you may be using an old beta version at work. I remember I started working in the 6.4 version, but then I decided it needed more work, and made it the beta 6.3.1.5 (I think), but forgot to label it, so it was still labeled 6.4.0.0.

The result: The auto update does not work for this Beta, because it is already labeled 6.4.0.0.

So, I think all you need is to download the latest stable UVK packages again at work.

Please let me know if it worked when you try it again at work.

Fred
krynn72

Post by krynn72 »

Thanks for the suggestion on downloading the new version from your site, however it doesn't seem to have made any difference. First computer I used it on today and it happened again. So this time it was done with version 6.4.0.0 (downloaded today from the website). License activates ok and is confirmed in the about section. This particular computer is a Compaq Presario CQ62-238dx running Windows 7 Home Premium x64, with 4gb RAM and an AMD CPU. I also ran it before doing anything else to see if perhaps the rest of my cleaning procedure might be causing it, but it still happened so it seems that's not the cause.

To better explain the issue, I recorded it happening (apologies for the crude cellphone video, didn't want to install recording software on a customer's pc). As you can see (or rather, hear) clicking on the buttons gets no response, and I am unable to remove the remnants. However I can still manipulate the dropdown menu and such, and closing the program still works as normal (including the warning about leaving remnants not removed). This is exactly how the issue happens for every computer I've had trouble using it on.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-284tLj0bZI
Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

krynn72,

Thanks for taking the time to make the video and test the feature again.

I just released a new beta. I think the issue is solved with this version, but I can't be sure because I could not reproduce it myself.

http://www.carifred.com/uvk/beta

Thanks again for your feedback.

Fred
zbmowrey

Post by zbmowrey »

It's possible the latest beta has fixed a related issue, I'll test and report....

What I was encountering on a range of Windows 8 and 8.1 PCs was the uninstaller crashing the program. My steps: CTRL-Click a bunch of junkware, select Forced uninstall and Remove remnants, hit go... and watch it crash.

I reverted to using an older non-beta and it worked fine. I will test the latest and report back if the issue continues.
Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

Hi ZB.

Did it crash when removing the programs, or afterwards, when searching for remnants?

That will help me to find the bug faster, by searching in the correct section of the code.

Best wishes.

Fred

Fred
zbmowrey

Post by zbmowrey »

It's been a week or so since I reverted to the older version, so the details are fuzzy, but my memory it that the crash occurred before any programs were actually removed - they were selected, then the uninstall button pressed, then crash... before anything really happened.

Again, don't hunt it down yet - I'll grab the latest beta and test today at work. Let me make sure it's still there before you spend much time trying to resolve it.
Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

Ok, I just tested removing a bunch of adware in a Win8 VM at once. I used exactly the same procedure as you described. It all worked fine.

Fred
krynn72

Post by krynn72 »

Hi, sorry for the late response, but I've tested it on several laptops and desktops, and my original issue seems to be resolved, its been working great! Just wanted to let you know. Thanks again for a great bit of software!
Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

krynn72,

No need to apologize. And thanks for reporting. I released today a new beta that has some enhancements to the Smart uninstaller and other features. Maybe worth to try it out.
http://www.carifred.com/uvk/beta

Fred
krynn72

Re: [Solved] Uninstall Remnants

Post by krynn72 »

So it appears I may have spoke too soon. I've still been getting my original problem, seemingly at random since I made my last post. Think today I figured out what the variable is though. While playing with it on my laptop today, I noticed that anytime I maximize the window prior to uvk scanning for remnants, I would encounter the problem. If I left the window at the default size, it would work fine. Even if I dragged the window size to adjust it, it would still work. But every time I maximized it, I'd get stuck again just like in my first three posts. I havent been able to try and test this on any other computer, but on my Thinkpad W510 with 7 pro x64 it seems to be confirmed.
Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

Thanks, krynn72. I'm going to check out the window maximize/restore handling function.

Fred
Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

Confirmed. It turned out to be another AutoIt bug.

It's fixed in the new beta 6.5.1.1.

Thanks for helping out to fix this bug.

Fred
Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

I just want to add that the same issue would happen if the UVK's window was maximized and you would do any of the following actions:
  • Jump from a process in the Process manager to the corresponding service in the Service manager, or the opposite.

Jump from the process manager to the same process in the Modules manager, or the opposite.
This bug is not in my code. It's a strange AutoIt bug, like some others that I have been noticing in the last versions. I don't like to post in the AutoIt forums because the guys over there aren't the nicest ones, but I'll probably post in this one.

Thanks again.

Fred