Could you maybe prompt the user instead of making assumptions?

Do you know of a feature that UVK should have? Post it here!
whiggs

Could you maybe prompt the user instead of making assumptions?

Post by whiggs »

So, one thing about Ultra virus killer that has gotten a bit on my nerves is what the application does when it attempts to delete a folder or file in the "Delete, replace or copy files and folders" section of the application. If Ultra virus killer is unable to delete the one or more of the items in the list, it will automatically schedule to have those items deleted the next time the computer is restarted. See, my thought was that the tool would try to force delete the file and then, if it was unable to, prompt and ask the user if they would like to delete the file on restart. You are making some pretty bold assumptions about how I want to go about handling the locked files/folders that I input into the program, and I don't appreciate it. And you know what they say about assumptions, right? "Assumptions make an ass out of me and you." But mostly you in this case, as I just have to live with the decision that you and this program made for me. Really appreciate that. :x :x :x :x :x :x :x
Fred
Site Admin

Re: Could you maybe prompt the user instead of making assumptions?

Post by Fred »

Hi Whiggs.

I will add a checkbox named "Upon failure, delete on reboot". If it asked you each time a file is scheduled for removal on reboot, it could generate thousands of prompts.
One thing we humans have in common is that we are all different. So, if you think you're weird because you're different from everyone else, then we are all weird.

Fred
Xander

Re: Could you maybe prompt the user instead of making assumptions?

Post by Xander »

whiggs wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 6:27 am You are making some pretty bold assumptions about how I want to go about handling the locked files/folders that I input into the program, and I don't appreciate it.
That's not an assumption -- at that point, you had already asked UVK to delete those files. Deliberately and on purpose; "that I input into the program" <- that's you telling UVK to delete files and then getting mad because -you- selected the wrong files.

Don't condescend to Fred when the one making the mistakes is you. The only assumption Fred is making is that you, as a technician, know what you're doing.