WAU / MRS ... hybrid? Update/reboot/repeat til done

Do you know of a feature that UVK should have? Post it here!
Xander

WAU / MRS ... hybrid? Update/reboot/repeat til done

Post by Xander »

I used to use WSUS Offline Updater but, with all the lockdowns and doing a lot more remote work, that's no longer practical.

I've thought a bunch of times about asking for this and even thought I had but I'll put it down now.... I've got a few clients that don't turn their PCs on for weeks or even months at a time. For them, I'd like to be able to do a quick connection, start a program and let it run and, when done, know that it's fully updated.
Alternatively, when I've finished whatever other issues that needed fixing, to be able to run this as a 'value added' service.

Oh, and what about a couple of CMD entries in the Settings to do something like run PatchMyPC after all the updates are done? And a Shutdown-when-done option? That'd get the whole thing fully updated and turned off.
Fred
Site Admin

Re: WAU / MRS ... hybrid? Update/reboot/repeat til done

Post by Fred »

Hi Xander.

Thank you for the suggestion, but I think I didn't really understand what is it you need. From what I understood, all that can be easily achieved with an SR file or a UVK script, so I'm obviously missing something.

Care to elaborate a bit?
One thing we humans have in common is that we are all different. So, if you think you're weird because you're different from everyone else, then we are all weird.

Fred
Xander

Post by Xander »

Honestly hadn't considered a script as I figured the reboots would cancel out the process.

What are you thinking? A script that would run MUA, wait a set amount of time, reboot, and repeat those steps several times? Would it be able to persist over reboots?
Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

It might require some scripting skills, but yes, it's perfectly possible. Maybe several scripts. The first one would create a scheduled task that would run the second one after reboot, the second would delete the scheduled task from the first one and create a new task that would run the third script after reboot and so on...

The last script would delete the last scheduled task. Considering the vast scripting support of UVK scripts (autoit, vbs, cmd batch), you could even give your program a GUI to show some progress info and warn the logged user about the imminent reboot.
One thing we humans have in common is that we are all different. So, if you think you're weird because you're different from everyone else, then we are all weird.

Fred