Fred, What is this??

Use this forum to discuss about anything you want, post announcements and informational topics.
Forum rules
We have no special rules for UVK forums. Just try to be polite and clear in your posts.
Please don't post spam in this forum. Spammers will be banned by IP, e-mail and username.
We reserve the right to delete all posts and ban all users we consider not having respected these rules without warning.
Charger440

Fred, What is this??

Post by Charger440 »

I was looking at Google maps in France and wondering, what is this!?!
Attachments
WTH.png
WTH.png (1.5 MiB) Viewed 11935 times
Jim

It is not "Can it be done?" but rather, "How can we do it?"
Fred
Site Admin

Re: Fred, What is this??

Post by Fred »

Hi Jim.

If you're talking about the thing in the road, it's a speed retarder pedestrian crossing. In this case they put plastic platforms a few inches high directly over the road, but in most cases it's made in the same material as the road itself. Drivers obviously hate them, pedestrians love it.
One thing we humans have in common is that we are all different. So, if you think you're weird because you're different from everyone else, then we are all weird.

Fred
wmmiller

Post by wmmiller »

We call them speed bumps. :)
Play stupid games….win stupid prizes
Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

Thanks, Bill. Google translate's fault :)
One thing we humans have in common is that we are all different. So, if you think you're weird because you're different from everyone else, then we are all weird.

Fred
Xander

Post by Xander »

Here, we would call that a speed Hump because of its width. They're meant to slow down traffic to a reasonable speed (e.g. 20kph). They're not common but you'll find them in residential areas if anything.
Speed Bumps are only about 18" wide and taller so you have to come to a near-stop to get over them.
Charger440

Post by Charger440 »

I thought that might be the point of them but something like that, by the looks of it, I prolly wouldn't slow down much.
Jim

It is not "Can it be done?" but rather, "How can we do it?"
wmmiller

Post by wmmiller »

Yeah, that doesn’t look to harsh. Might be fun on a motorcycle. ;)
Play stupid games….win stupid prizes
Xander

Post by Xander »

Those ones look like they are meant for higher speeds - they're much lower. I've not seen those ones anywhere around here (but they've been installing more and more roundabouts in this region in the last few years so...)
Residential speed humps would be maybe 2-3' wide, and 4-6" high. You really do need to slow down to around 20kph to not risk damage.
MikeArden

Post by MikeArden »

Hi, As I am a new user here & going through all your comments & enhancing my knowledge day by day. Thanks!