Un-Hide User Accounts on the Windows Login Screen

You need help to start using UVK? You have a doubt on a UVK feature? Post here!
Forum rules
We have no special rules for UVK forums. Just try to be polite and clear in your posts.
Please don't post spam in this forum. Spammers will be banned by IP, e-mail and username.
We reserve the right to delete all posts and ban all users we consider not having respected these rules without warning.
Muhammad Tasneem

Un-Hide User Accounts on the Windows Login Screen

Post by Muhammad Tasneem »

Hi Fred,

I have got a call, that person uses "Hide Users" utility from https://obinshah.wordpress.com/2014/06/ ... in-screen/. He hide the two administrators accounts on Login Screen and leave the one standard account there. Now he can't un-hide the accounts, even the utility can't run because when he double click on it, the UAC appears but there is no YES button, he only press NO button. I saw on that page, one user also have the same problem but there is no answer.

I have tried the Ctrl-Alt-Del but there is no option to login in other user.
I have also tried to change the user status to administrator but UAC has same issue.

I don't have physical access on that laptop, I do remote support via TeamViewer because of current lock-down.
Fred
Site Admin

Re: Un-Hide User Accounts on the Windows Login Screen

Post by Fred »

Hi Muhammad.

If you can not get passed the UAC prompt, I guess you will not be able to run UVK or quick user manager either. I don't know whether Hide Users disables the accounts, or just removes the interactive login rights through LSA. The best option for you is try Offline NT Password & Registry Editor. This will allow you to re-enable the admin accounts if they have been disabled.

Otherwise, you can try the recovery console's command prompt, to create a new admin user account and re-enable the other admins from there. Or you can also try system restore from the recovery console as well.
One thing we humans have in common is that we are all different. So, if you think you're weird because you're different from everyone else, then we are all weird.

Fred
Muhammad Tasneem

Post by Muhammad Tasneem »

Thanks Fred,

I also forget to mention that the OS is Windows 10 Home edition, which already have many less option.

Will try your suggestions when have the access.
Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

Muhammad,

You can also use the Offline NT Password & Registry Editor to disable the interactive login, by using the provided registry editor.

Key:HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon
Set the DisableCAD DWORD value to 0.

Key:HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System
Delete the DisableCAD value.
One thing we humans have in common is that we are all different. So, if you think you're weird because you're different from everyone else, then we are all weird.

Fred
Xander

Post by Xander »

This is one reason why I usually offer to set up my clients for remote support. In this instance, I'd still be able to use cmd lines in the background and use a Net User command here. I could use things like RegQuery/etc cmds as well if necessary. I'm lucky, though, that I bought into Screenconnect early as my pricing is grandfathered in now.