[Solved] YouTube not showing previews using Edge

You need help to start using UVK? You have a doubt on a UVK feature? Post here!
Forum rules
We have no special rules for UVK forums. Just try to be polite and clear in your posts.
Please don't post spam in this forum. Spammers will be banned by IP, e-mail and username.
We reserve the right to delete all posts and ban all users we consider not having respected these rules without warning.
wmmiller

[Solved] YouTube not showing previews using Edge

Post by wmmiller »

Anyone else having this issue or know how to fix it? It’s been jacked up for some time now. Once again, IE to the rescue. Not a Windows 10 fan. :(
Attachments
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (88.24 KiB) Viewed 29347 times
Play stupid games….win stupid prizes
Fred
Site Admin

Re: YouTube not sowing previews using Edge

Post by Fred »

Hi Bill.

Have you tried clearing browsing data? You can find that option in Settings / Privacy & security.
I would start by selecting only Cached data and files as shown in the picture below, and see if that works.
capture.png
capture.png (291.19 KiB) Viewed 29345 times
One thing we humans have in common is that we are all different. So, if you think you're weird because you're different from everyone else, then we are all weird.

Fred
wmmiller

Post by wmmiller »

I’ve tried many things. Lost track at this point. Here is how things are set now. It should clear all those things every time. It’s been like this for several months. Three computers here at home are doing this. I just keep using IE because it works. If I can’t figure it out and I decide I care enough about it, I may do a clean install and see what happens. I had kind of tiered of messing with it and just didn’t use Edge.
Capture2.PNG
Capture2.PNG (36.92 KiB) Viewed 29340 times
Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

Bill, not sure this will help, but I read somewhere that ad blockers can cause this to happen.
One thing we humans have in common is that we are all different. So, if you think you're weird because you're different from everyone else, then we are all weird.

Fred
Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

Before doing a clean install, you might want to try creating a new user account, login and check if the issue does not happen to new users. You may be able to fix it using APF.

Fred
Xander

Post by Xander »

If it's happening on three different computers, I'd be looking elsewhere like the router. Have you changed the DNS on it?
wmmiller

Post by wmmiller »

Xander,

Very good idea. Working off what you said, I dug around and found a laptop that hasn’t been used in a while. It has Windows 10 Pro 64bit v1809 on it. YouTube works fine on that computer on my network. I even tested it on the guest network and it worked fine.

Given that new piece of information, (which I should have thought of) I am going to do as Fred suggested and try APF.

Thanks guys, I will let you know how it works out.

Bill
wmmiller

Post by wmmiller »

APF fixes YouTube but jacks up Outlook so it won’t repair, install or uninstall. It tried APF with one, two and no boxes checked. Each time it fixes YouTube but outlook won’t work. Here’s the error. I cloned the computer before doing anything so I’m back where I started. All other office programs are working. Just outlook wont.
Outlook Error.PNG
Outlook Error.PNG (7.98 KiB) Viewed 29328 times
Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

Hi Bill. Sorry you're having that problem. That issue may already be present before you run APF. Try repairing the outlook installation before running APF.

Also, did you run the regsvr32.exe vbscript.dll command like it says in the message?

You can also run the following UVK fixes before or after APF:
  • Reset registry and file permissions
  • Fix install problems
  • Run MS Install/Uninstall troubleshooter
  • Register system DLLs
  • Reboot the computer
If that does not work either, you can try granting access to the outlook appdata folder:
Run UVK, go to Tools ad tweaks, and select the File tools tab.
In the Unlock a locked folder group, paste the following in the path text field:
%LocalAppData%\Microsoft\Outlook
Then press the Unlock folder button and confirm.

Let me know how that works for you. I might have a few more ideas.

Fred
wmmiller

Post by wmmiller »

Hey guys,

After messing with this for a while because I like to figure out why and fix things, I decide to stop wasting time and just create a new user profile. That fixed things up like a glove. In the end it seems to have been a corrupt user profile.
Thanks for your help and suggestion. I appreciate it! :)

Bill
Fred
Site Admin

Re: [Solved] YouTube not showing previews using Edge

Post by Fred »

Glad you sorted it out BIll!

Fred
wmmiller

Post by wmmiller »

I may have jumped the gun reporting back here on this issue. As it turns out Outlook still wasn’t working correctly. I ended up running the “Microsoft Support and Recovery Assistant” to force uninstallation of the whole office 2016 suite. It worked great. Then I was able to reinstall office and everything is working as it should. **You will need your office key.**

Bill

I’ve never heard of or needed the “Microsoft Support and Recovery Assistant” I didn’t look, but if it’s not included in “Tech tool store” maybe should be. I learned something new today. :D

https://support.office.com/en-us/articl ... n-US&ad=US
Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

Thanks for informing us about that, Bill. Seems as APF was not the culprit, after all. I was kind of worried...

I wonder if I could add that Microsoft Support and Recovery Assistant tool to TTS...

Fred
wmmiller

Post by wmmiller »

Hi Fred,

I just couldn’t let this go in my head. I have figured out the removal of “Webp Image Extensions Microsoft Corporation 1/12/2020 1.0.22753.0” is what breaks YouTube. It can be proved over and over. I uninstalled it because like many of the things Windows 10 installs is crap I don’t need anyway, and It looked like crap I didn’t need. :roll:
As far as Outlook goes. I guess I’m not sure what broke it, but I could easily clone the machine outlook is running on and run APF and see if it breaks it if you would like.

Bill
Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

Bill, this is great info. I'll keep that in mind in case I ever see a broken Edge. Did you know that you can reinstall that extension from the Store?

Fred
wmmiller

Post by wmmiller »

Hi Fred,

I did know you could install it from the store. I find it annoying that you have to log into the store for it. I have not used the store since they made us pay for media player with windows 8. My god, I could rant on and on how much I grown to despise windows. However, I will not. ;)

Have a super day! :)

Bill