System Info - include DNS

Do you know of a feature that UVK should have? Post it here!
Xander

System Info - include DNS

Post by Xander »

S'il te plait? Just had a remote job where somehow Norton's DNS had gotten into the system. No idea how but it's out. Did make me realize that DNS isn't mentioned in the System Info report.

Incidentally, Fred, resetting DNS with the System Repair didn't flush it out. Had to pull out HijackThis to do it. This was the system-wide DNS setting, not adapter-specific.
Fred
Site Admin

Re: System Info - include DNS

Post by Fred »

Hi Xander.

DNS hijacks are detected by UAK. It's better there because you can easily fix the ones you want than having them listed in the System info and then manually reset them. They're listed in the Autostart tab, but they are not necessarily all checked.

The Reset DNS settings fix only runs Ipconfig /FlushDns and restarts the dnscache service. You probably also needed to run the Reset IP, winsock and proxy for it to work. I will rename the fix Reset the DNS cache so it becomes more obvious.
One thing we humans have in common is that we are all different. So, if you think you're weird because you're different from everyone else, then we are all weird.

Fred
Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

I just hijacked the DNS of one of my network interfaces to see if it was working properly. It was. Here's a screenshot:
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (85.27 KiB) Viewed 3360 times
However, it was not supporting IPv6. I just added it now, so it will be available in a few days.
One thing we humans have in common is that we are all different. So, if you think you're weird because you're different from everyone else, then we are all weird.

Fred
Xander

Post by Xander »

I missed mentioning that. UAK didn't remove it. That's how I confirmed it was there but it was unchanged after running the cleanup.
"The Reset DNS settings fix only runs..."
Could a clearing of the DNS also be included in that then? Clearing that should be somewhere in the SR set.
Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

I see. Probably Norton also sets the IPv6, and since UAK didn't support that, it was not completely removed. If that's the case, it should work in the next update.

I can add a new fix to reset the nameservers, only for the current interface.

Fred