New system Deployment

Do you know of a feature that UVK should have? Post it here!
Muhammad Tasneem

New system Deployment

Post by Muhammad Tasneem »

I don't know either it is related to UVK but I wish it should be available in it.

First I have to clear my scenario to explain what about I am talking about.

I have installed many systems which connected to machines to control them. Every system have some basic settings and software which we need to apply for work it properly here is the list.

1- Enable default Administrator account (Some drivers only working if they were installed from default administrator account).
2- Create a new user account with administrator rights.
3- Create a new user account with standard rights.
4- Delete all other user accounts (except these three Default administrator, user with Administrator rights, User with standard rights)
5- Disable Indexing services for all current and future users.
6- Convert Power management to High performance and change to all setting to never (no sleep, No monitor/hard disk turn off)
7- Disable Screen saver.
8- Apply new wall paper and disable change wall paper feature.
9- Disable Auto-run for all type of media like CD, DVD, USB etc for all users.
10- Remove many options in start menu for standard user like control Panel, Device and Printers, Default programs, Help and support, Games, Music, Picture, Videos, etc in short only necessary feature leave enable and disable all features.
11- Pin following programs in Start menu, Notepad, Calculator, Paint, etc.
12- Disable Auto expand for all programs.
13- Give full Control rights on some folders for standard users like c:\Software
14- install some pre-requisition software like VC++2005, VC++2008, .Net 3.5 etc
15- Install some software and drivers (especially from default administrator account other wise software install but not working properly)

This is just a few list which we have done normally to prepare systems. when the hardware is same I tried to prepare from older ghost image but in case different hardware the only possibility to prepare it from scratch . Cloning for dis-similar hardware not working properly and create problems time to time.

In summary after Windows installation Just choose the features in UVK to enable or disable them and install software

Once I use 1st Security Agent http://www.softheap.com/newadmin.html but was old story.

I also found some these apps but affraid to test on production machine.
User Control http://salfeld.com/software/usercontrol/
Ultimate Settings Panel http://www.ultimatesettingspanel.co.uk/

Tasneem
Brink

Re: New system Deployment

Post by Brink »

Tasneem,

You are describing as process that is called "System Image Deployment". UVK (Ultra Virus Killer) is a software that is designed to make the process of cleaning up after a virus infection easier. System deployment is likely beyond the scope of function for why UVK was originally conceived. Fred would of course be the final word for whether or not a feature is included in his software, but I don't see it happening.

There are already many tools by Microsoft and by third parties to assist with the situation that you describe. It's really an industry unto itself. I would suggest starting with a google search for "system image deployment" and get some background on the problem and possible solutions that have already been developed to solve it.

Good luck to you.