Front end for C++ version

Do you know of a feature that UVK should have? Post it here!
Brink

Front end for C++ version

Post by Brink »

Hi Fred,

Sorry I've been gone so long. I like the changes that I'm seeing. I do have a request for you though. Could you write a front end for the UVK C++ version that is used to start the program correctly regardless of whether it is 32bit or 64bit?

In other words a startup.exe or whatever you want to call it that determines if we are dealing with 32 or 64 bit and then runs the appropriate version.

Nitpicking? I don't know.

It would be handy for me in the way I install the UVK to client machines though.

Here is my method:
On my master copy I bundle it with the logo and key, then run and configure to taste. Then pack that folder up into a sfx archive that when run on a client machine will auto inflate the archive to a folder of my choosing and then auto execute a file. If I have pre-selected the UVK_en.exe to be run and I happen to be on a 64bit machine, then I don't get the benefit of using the 64bit version. If I have pre-selected the UVK_en64.exe and I happen to be on a 32bit machine, obviously it won't run.

If that is too much to ask, another option for me would be to make 2 archives one for 64 and one for 32. Let me know.

Thanks for considering.
Fred
Site Admin

Re: Front end for C++ version

Post by Fred »

Brink,

As I said several times before, the file to run is always uvk_en.exe, regardless of the current OS Arch. There you have your front end. you can hide the other files, if desired.

For remote access, now that UVK is also provided as a zip file, do you really need a SFX? Might be worth to think about it. You can place your files inside the zip, and it would be much easier to update each time.
One thing we humans have in common is that we are all different. So, if you think you're weird because you're different from everyone else, then we are all weird.

Fred
Brink

Re: Front end for C++ version

Post by Brink »

Thanks for the response. Sorry to be plowing ground that has already been plowed before.