Launch SmartUninstaller within SR

Do you know of a feature that UVK should have? Post it here!
Xander

Launch SmartUninstaller within SR

Post by Xander »

We can launch UAK within. Would be nice to be able to launch SU as part of our workflow, perhaps as part of the Maintenance section. Likewise, launching within a script would be good: <SmartUninstaller>
Fred
Site Admin

Re: Launch SmartUninstaller within SR

Post by Fred »

Thanks for the request, Xander. I'll see what I can come up with.
One thing we humans have in common is that we are all different. So, if you think you're weird because you're different from everyone else, then we are all weird.

Fred
reggaemanu

Post by reggaemanu »

I saw you added this feature in the current beta version Fred.
Wouldn't it make more sense to run it unattended to remove all blacklisted apps ?
Right now it doesn't make the process faster than running it manually after the SR workflow.
Charger440

Post by Charger440 »

Not all apps will unattended uninstall unless you use just use Forced uninstall. Based on personal experiences I don't recommend just forced uninstall, I have had that mess up a computer or two....
Jim

It is not "Can it be done?" but rather, "How can we do it?"
reggaemanu

Post by reggaemanu »

I don't recommend to force uninstall either and don't use it myself.
Sure some apps won't uninstall untattended but most will ... still a gain of time :)
You can also blacklist only apps that you know they will uninstall unattended so it will do most of the job automatically in the workflow and just run SU manually after to finish it.
Last edited by reggaemanu on Fri Sep 25, 2015 2:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Xander

Post by Xander »

And, even if an uninstaller requires interaction, at least the process will be initiated automatically so it's just a couple of NextNextFinishes to get through it.
Charger440

Post by Charger440 »

It's worth a shot to try it and see :)
Jim

Xander

Post by Xander »

Fred, the new commands haven't been added to the Custom Commands page yet.

Does <SmartUninstaller> have any parameters? Can it be started in such a way that, even if there's no option to force uninstall the blacklisted programs (which, for the record, I've never had any problems with), that it can be started to uninstall the blacklist normally? To save a few clicks?

e.g.
<SmartUninstaller> Blacklist | Normal
<SmartUninstaller> Blacklist | Force | Cleanup | CreateRestore <-the latter should be a default anyway
Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

Xander,

No, it does not support any parameters, for now. That's the part that takes alot of work to create. Need to install the programs to remove each time I test. I'll see what I can come up with in the C++ UVK version.
One thing we humans have in common is that we are all different. So, if you think you're weird because you're different from everyone else, then we are all weird.

Fred
Charger440

Post by Charger440 »

Xander

I have a FUBAR xp box right now that was running OK before I force uninstalled an app. Forced uninstall can mess stuff up, I've seen it happen a couple times so far.

Fred, I am NOT blaming you. Just saying that I would prolly not use a forced blacklist install because of that.
Jim

Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

Correct, Jim. Some applications need to be uninstalled normally, to restore changes made to the system at install time. Valid examples are applications that replace system features, such as the shell, the context menu, or the defragmenter. The original feature must be restored when uninstalling the program.

Fred
Xander

Post by Xander »

Fred wrote:Valid examples are applications that replace system features, such as the shell, the context menu, or the defragmenter.
Which are great examples of software I'd never be adding to a blacklist in the first place.
Charger440

Post by Charger440 »

The last one I did that I should not have was iobit. Explorer.Exe will not load at all. So far once tried everything I can think of short of reinstalling. Like I said, I am in no way blaming Fred. It just goes to show you that in inexperienced hands uvk can makes you more money :)
Jim

Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

I had a Windows 10 machine recently that didn't load the Windows Explorer. Fixed it wit "Fix IE and Windows shell", "Clear the shell cache", "Run Sfc Scan", "Register System DLLs", and "Repair Windows with DISM". Takes a while but works totally unsttended.

Fred
Charger440

Post by Charger440 »

This is on XP Fred. I have even tried repair install that did not work.
Jim

Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

Oh, sorry. I don't see how the Forced Uninstall can damage a system in such a deep way. I though it might have deleted system files, but if you did a repair install that's not the case...

Fred
Charger440

Post by Charger440 »

Yea Fred, It's pretty odd and I'm pretty sure IOBits forced uninstall did it. A repair uninstall did nothing for it. There is nothing in that startup that looks suspicious. I really do not want to reinstall so my next bet is to boot in safe mode(if it will) and disable ALL startup stuff. I did not do this already because as I said, there is nothing in there that looks suspicious to me. It's all standard stuff that is generally of little concern but something has to be keeping explorer.exe from starting. Even when I start it manually, It will flash the desktop then disappear. There are also no errors or warnings associated with it which makes it more odd.
Jim

Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

That's a good idea, Jim. I would especially look into stuff that's loaded by the shell, and it's not removed by the repair install, such as context menu items, and shell extensions. If you can't find anything of interest in UVK's autorun manager, maybe Autoruns can give you something?

I'd be happy to help out with this one, so if you want to send me UVK or Autoruns logs, I'll look them up right away. Maybe it will help me to improve the Forced uninstall feature.

Fred
Charger440

Post by Charger440 »

Fred

When I get back to working on this one I will let you know. I think it will be tomorrow. This one is actually kinda sad because when it came in there was nothing wrong with it except I wanted to remove a couple toolbars and an IOBits program. I generally consider IOBits to be useless so I remove them whenever I find them. Her original problem was her MONITOR was going bad and I was gonna clean it up right quick and sell her a new monitor. Now it has turned into DOH!!! LOL :)
Jim